They chose to lie

My wife was involved in a minor fender-bender yesterday. A couple of kids (both about 22 years old) sped through a red light at an intersection and clipped her front bumper. Nobody was hurt. They got out and the driver and passenger admitted they ran the red light. The driver said his mom was going to be furious because it was her car, then offered my wife a bunch of money to forget the whole thing. (It was a roll of cash, so no idea how much it was.)

My wife called, told me what happened and I told her to call the police just to be on the safe side. I drove up to sit with her since she was close. (She had 2 of our kids in the car as well.) About 30 minutes later, the drivers' Mom showed up. Then a bunch of his homies showed up, so I was getting a little nervous since I just had a 10-shot magazine with me. Finally, the cops came, took our statements and left. And the driver and passenger? They lied. They said my wife ran a red light and hit them.

I noticed there were cameras on the traffic lights. We told our insurance agent about them. Who knows if they were on. I'm guessing what will happen is our insurance (Allstate) will pay for our car, their insurance (Geico) will pay for theirs and that will be that.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Recommendations?

If they were redlight cameras the guilty one will get a ticket.

What appears to have happened was that the kids were TOLD to lie by their parent. And they walked away with the feeling that it had worked this time, so why won't it work next time? Quite a life lesson.

That's what my wife said. She said the kids readily admitted guilt until the mom showed up.

I asked the cops about the cameras. They said they don't have access to those, but the insurance company could inquire about them if asked. I checked for witnesses. None. I also told the cops about the cash. Nothing.

When the homies struck my wife's car, they kept going. My wife had to honk several times before they would stop.

Here's how the accident occurred:

View attachment $Accident.bmp

The homies on the main road ran through the light at high speed. I'm very happy it wasn't worse.

Then a bunch of his homies showed up, so I was getting a little nervous since I just had a 10-shot magazine with me.

Excuse me? You roll that one off like you are talking about having a spot on your tie. I guess you would have felt better if you had been equipped with an AK-47?

I'm sorry - the idea of carrying around anything that would hold 10 shots (or ANY shots for that matter) is completely foreign to me.

Then a bunch of his homies showed up, so I was getting a little nervous since I just had a 10-shot magazine with me.

Excuse me? You roll that one off like you are talking about having a spot on your tie. I guess you would have felt better if you had been equipped with an AK-47?

I'm sorry - the idea of carrying around anything that would hold 10 shots (or ANY shots for that matter) is completely foreign to me.

His other weapons were at the cleaners. . . . what else would he do?

platypus.jpg

I usually carry more than 10 bullets with me. (And I can think of several assault rifles I'd rather carry with me than an AK-47. :cool:)

I took a couple friends of mine to the shooting range last week. It was the first time one of them had ever shot a gun of any kind. He had a similar reaction to your reply above. He said, "you mean you carry your gun with you wherever you go???" Yes. "When did you first shoot a gun?" I don't remember. 3? 4 years old? "Holy cow!!!!"

What is completely foreign to me is to meet people who know little about guns. When I do, I might ask them if they'd like to go to the shooting range. I consider it honor to teach them about guns and the 2nd Amendment.

Thats because you're a fucking pussy...

Thats because you're a fucking pussy...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I usually carry more than 10 bullets with me. (And I can think of several assault rifles I'd rather carry with me than an AK-47. :cool:)

I took a couple friends of mine to the shooting range last week. It was the first time one of them had ever shot a gun of any kind. He had a similar reaction to your reply above. He said, "you mean you carry your gun with you wherever you go???" Yes. "When did you first shoot a gun?" I don't remember. 3? 4 years old? "Holy cow!!!!"

What is completely foreign to me is to meet people who know little about guns. When I do, I might ask them if they'd like to go to the shooting range. I consider it honor to teach them about guns and the 2nd Amendment.

Oh, I am very familiar with guns. I began shooting at an NRA range when I was 12 or so. Been a bird hunter all my life.

When it comes to the more serious side of guns, I have a big, old, Remington 870 standing up in the corner of the bedroom. It isn't loaded - there is a box of No. 4 shot sitting right next to it. I figure when I am suddenly awakened in the middle of the night with the Bad Guy standing at the foot of the bed, I will sit up, give him the Time Out sign, hop out of bed, load the gun and then defend myself. ;)

It's just that I have never felt the need to carry a loaded weapon around in my car. I don't know - maybe I should. God knows there are a lot of crazies out there.

I'm a flaming liberal, but I am not anti-gun.

What appears to have happened was that the kids were TOLD to lie by their parent. And they walked away with the feeling that it had worked this time, so why won't it work next time? Quite a life lesson.
You should see how many kids try it on my bus with me even as I saw them do it 3 seconds before.

The first try's always a lie
but if that don't start sellin', cut a deal with the next tellin'.

I feel for you, man. Been there, done that! Two kids drag racing on the main road ran a light and knocked the hell out of me - tore my car all to pieces. One driver left the scene and went running for mom.

Consider the cost of insuring a teen-age driver and draw your own conclusions.

Update: Our vehicle has been repaired. The total cost was $1600. We paid the $500 deductible. We haven't heard from the kids who ran the red light and lied about it to the cops. One day they'll be judged for lying, but that's out of my hands. I'm just glad it was a minor accident. It could've been much worse.

An insurance company is not going to pay if the evidence of the accident shows the other party to be at fault, imo.

twelve U.S. states and the Commonwealth territory of Puerto Rico either require policyholders, or give them the option, to operate under a "no-fault" scheme in which individuals injured in automobile accidents are limited in their ability to seek recovery from other drivers or vehicle owners involved in an accident.[citation needed] In the case of economic (medical and wage-loss) damages, most no-fault systems permit injured parties to seek recovery only for damages that are not covered by available first-party insurance benefits. In the case of non-economic (pain-and-suffering) damages, most no-fault systems permit injured parties to seek compensation only in cases of exceptionally "serious" injury

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-fault_insurance

Update: Our vehicle has been repaired. The total cost was $1600. We paid the $500 deductible. We haven't heard from the kids who ran the red light and lied about it to the cops. One day they'll be judged for lying, but that's out of my hands. I'm just glad it was a minor accident. It could've been much worse.

Well glad to know it wasn't any worse.

Forum List

Back