CDZ They cannot both be correct...

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Xelor, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Indeependent

Indeependent Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,474
    I live near 3 Black neighborhoods and very few residents follow this very simple formula.
    It's usually, a bit of school, sex, sex, sex, blue collar job, going to the bar, sex.

2. Not2BSubjugated

Not2BSubjugated Callous Individualist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +577
    That's a fine piece of sophistry. YOUR "reality" is not my concern, nor should it dictate government action. Majority opinions by ethnic groups don't dictate what has ACTUALLY happened..

If I, personally, decide that Hawaiians are being murdered en masse by the Mexicans because that's my perception, then my perception is inaccurate and thus NOT THE JOB OF SOCIETY TO FIX. That's my point. If your perception of the plight of your ethnic group isn't an accurate reflection of the aggregate reality, then passing laws to correct for that perception is only going to lead to greater problems.

I pray that there aren't many more people like you who openly declare perception as a reality to be corrected by the force of government authority. That's so fucking insane that I don't have a word emphatic enough to replace "fucking".

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,830
    Your second paragrah - no where did I say anything even close to that.
    Your third paragraph - no where did I say anything even close to that.

Your first paragraph - in point of fact, one's perception IS one's reality.

4. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,395
    Look at what the Amish and Mennonites have accomplished though. They held themselves apart and, for the most part, have successful communities.

I have to ask....are you being funny here?

5. Not2BSubjugated

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +577
    If you weren't claiming any of these further things, then I fail to see how "one's perception is one's reality" has any relevance to this conversation.

Of course one's perception defines their reality. My entire point is that nobody's personal "reality" necessarily reflects ACTUAL reality, so the fact that so many on the left want to take legal action at the systemic level to address these "realities" is beyond stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    TY for the clarification.

I suppose that's inference one could make, but before remarking on that notion, I should probably ask, "what's a 'societal policy?'" Is it the same thing as a "social policy" or is it the same thing as "social custom," which amounts to culture or, some might say, "cultural habits," or "what people do" (have done)?

I have to ask because governments, not societies, make, implement and enforce policies. Societies, i.e., the members of a society, just do what they do, but rarely is there a concerted/unified plan of action that rises to the level of being called a policy. The U.S. has had customs that, though not policies, were so preponderantly pervasive that "everyone" was in what I call "Nike mode." They just did "it" or just thought "it" so. Much about race certainly was like that. Based on the results of the Pew survey, it seems that blacks are of a mind that too much still is, whereas whites are less convinced that is still the case.

7. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,830

Apology accepted.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Are you going to provide the explication I requested (bold text in my post above) or not? What you just wrote doesn't at all explain how "Profession, Marriage, Sex" will help narrow the perception gap.

If you're not going to, just say so, and we can end our interaction on this line of thought and go our separate ways. I'm certainly not going to feel like I "missed out" because you don't fulfill my request.

9. Not2BSubjugated

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +577
    I love how you describe this as if all these ethnic groups are homogenous teams.

If blacks, native Americans, and Hispanics had stuck together. . . ? Just because Social Justice has split everyone into Team White and Team PoC doesn't mean that different groups of nonwhites have some intrinsic properties that makes them all similar to each other but different from whites, or some inherent habit of expanding their tribal boundaries to incorporate anyone brown'er than a paper bag on the grounds that they ARE brown'er than a paper bag.

Furthermore, even amongst individual races, who the fuck sticks together? Yeah, WASPS in the US hazed the shit out of the Irish, the Italians, etc. Meanwhile, are people from Mexico particularly fond of Guatemalans? You ever ask an a Korean man who is new to the West what they think about Japanese people? You ever mistake a Samoan for a Tongan or vice versa?

This is why your logic is flawed from the get-go. You, just like the racists of old, view everybody not as an individual but as being FIRST a member of some racial/ethnic team. This is foolish as shit. There's an old Arab proverb that describes much more accurately how human tribalism functions. Paraphrased, it's essentially "Me against my brother, me and my brother against my cousin, me and my cousin against the world."

Nobody sticks together. This isn't a white or "colored" issue, and "colored" isn't a race.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,558
    Long, long, long time ago, when a claim of discrimination was made, the plaintiff had to demonstrate that a fully - qualified person was denied a positipn, promotion or whatever. It happened. Now, it basically never happens. The complainers talk about numbers and not individuals, because on an individual basis, there is essentially no discriination. Think of expressions like "mass incarceration." Never happened. Because every single convict has the entire process, and the innocent ones are a micro-issue; most are guilty of much, much more than they are Co vice of. Numbers, not cases.

Bullshit.

• Agree Agree x 1