~They Call This Art~

I was listening to a radio documentary show (This American Life) recently. The topic was the Egyptian revolution and its aftermath.

There were a lot of concerns voiced in the show about the influence of the Muslim Brotherhood. There were taped excerpts from meetings where the Muslim Brotherhood and their agenda really was vis-a-vis the Egyptian situation.

One way the Egyptians were able to ferret out some information on the Muslim Brotherhood was to ask about their attitudes toward art. Simple, right? But that's where the truth came from. That simple question: what are your attitudes on art?

The highly Socially Conservative Muslim Brotherhood would be in simpatico with the Right Wingers in America. They too wanted to censor, prescribe and deem some art as correct and proper and other art as decadent.

So, I suppose all one needs to qualify as a poor critic of art is to not understand it at all and hold a Conservative political ideology.

Artists have always relied on patrons. Popes, Kings, and governments. I hope that art is always accessible to the many, not just those with means.

Those who do not appreciate great art are living a shadow existence. There's more to life than what we, ourselves can produce.

And, to quote Beverly Sills, art is the signature of a civilization.

Artists who produce "great art" don't need government money because "great art" sells.

And anyone can see all the art they want in a museum and museums can be privately run.
Who's going to buy the Sistine ceiling? What's the price for d'Vinci's Last Supper? What would you plan to do with Rivera's murals in Rockefeller Center after you buy them?

Great art requires patronage. The art that sells to the masses is usually on black velvet and displayed along side a van in the Home Depot parking lot.

$Tiger.jpg

Now THIS is art!

Artists have always relied on patrons. Popes, Kings, and governments. I hope that art is always accessible to the many, not just those with means.

Those who do not appreciate great art are living a shadow existence. There's more to life than what we, ourselves can produce.

And, to quote Beverly Sills, art is the signature of a civilization.

Artists who produce "great art" don't need government money because "great art" sells.

And anyone can see all the art they want in a museum and museums can be privately run.
Who's going to buy the Sistine ceiling? What's the price for d'Vinci's Last Supper? What would you plan to do with Rivera's murals in Rockefeller Center after you buy them?

Great art requires patronage. The art that sells to the masses is usually on black velvet and displayed along side a van in the Home Depot parking lot.

Someone would buy them and then they could do whatever the hell they wanted with them including locking them away in a bunker or burning them for all I care.

And if art requires patronage then let someone who wants to foot the bill do it. i don't want to spend my money on some slack hack of a so called artist.

I have no interest in censoring anyone but I also have no interest in footing the bill for something I neither need nor want.

Last edited:

Some one would buy them and then they could do whatever the hell they wanted with them including locking them away in a bunker or burning them for all I care.

And if art requires patronage then let someone who wants to foot the bill do it. i don't want to spend my money on some slack hack of a so called artist.

I have no interest in censoring anyone but I also have no interest in footing the bill for something I neither need nor want.
How much of your tax dollar is spent on art? If you can calculate that amount, I'd be more than happy to reimburse you. I love art and I believe a great nation deserves great art. I believe that art is the signature of a civilization. And I wouldn't want America's signature to be placed in memoriam as a mustard stained scrawl on a NASCAR poster.

Figure out how much you have been put upon so other can enjoy art, and I'll send it right back to you in cash.

I'll tape the pennies to a cardboard so the mail sorting system won't break down. Maybe it will be as much as a nickle!

Incidentally, I feel the same about nuclear warheads as you do about art. But I'm not so whiny about it.

Last edited:

Some one would buy them and then they could do whatever the hell they wanted with them including locking them away in a bunker or burning them for all I care.

How much of your tax dollar is spent on art?

I don't care. All I care about is people wasting my money on shit that I wouldn't want if it were free. How much of your money can I take from you and piss away before you think it's too much?

If you can calculate that amount, I'd be more than happy to reimburse you. I love art and I believe a great nation deserves great art

If you love it then buy it yourself. Don't ask other people to buy it for you.

I believe that art is the signature of a civilization. And I wouldn't want America's signature to be placed in memoriam as a mustard stained scrawl on a NASCAR poster.

And civilization exists beyond the government doesn't it? And people who watch cars drive in circles for hours can spend their money any way they want and at least they're not asking you to foot the bill for them.

Figure out how much you have been put upon so other can enjoy art, and I'll send it right back to you in cash.

Just send me 10 grand and I'll call it even.

Incidentally, I feel the same about nuclear warheads as you do about art. But I'm not so whiny about it.

I don't remember saying i was a fan of nuclear warheads but then again the government is bound by the Constitution to defend the nation it is not bound to pay for slacker so called artists to doodle on canvas.

Last edited:
:tongue:

How many women knew they could use their old maxi pads to make skippers?? ~Lmao~

Who the hell wants to display maxi pad slippers or whatever the hell that is supposed to be?

Art? Not. Raphael,Monet,Van Goeh, Dali, now that's art.

Last edited:
Those OP images are creepy, but about par for the course. Too bad. Oh well...

I like to paint but my definition is a little different. I like realism and coherence.

Robert

How many women knew they could use their old maxi pads to make skippers?? ~Lmao~

Who the hell wants to display maxi pad slippers or whatever the hell that is supposed to be?

True. That was art, and incredible painters.

Here is my latest, one of two paintings for NASA, commerating the end of the STS program, STS, Shuttle.

50533268.jpg

"The Last Triumph", Atlantis, at T+44 seconds into launch. 39"x60", oil on panel. In the collection of NASA-Smithsonian. All Rights Reserved, Copyright, Robert A.M. Stephens, LLC, 2012

Fun thread here.

Robert

What's worse is that our tax money is probably funding that shit through that colossal waste of tax payer dollars called the National Endowment for the Arts

Miss Ravi, I get the felling he has reminded us the National Endowment for the Arts is a fancy name for welfare for those who will do something not so worth while for money.

Good post. and strangely, when I got kicked out of art school at UCD, California, I tried to apply to the NEofTA and they refused my submission: Reason: I painted too realistic, just like UCD said.. That was the end up that. So, I taught myself.

Above here is my latest piece, one of two for NASA.

Thank you,

Robert

Last edited:
...And this, the very last painting portraying the Shuttle program, and so many memories over the last 35 years, as I toss paint around on it. I'm working on this one and its almost done.

223770_225231970845458_100000759716724_570445_3399977_n.jpg

"Hail, Atlantis", ---36"x78", oil on panel, Atlantis at T+35 sec. Go For Throttle Up!!. In the collection of NASA-Smithsonian, by: Robert A. M Stephens All Rights Reserved, Copyright, 2012.

As I am painting on this work this evening while I was listening to these guys-- what a band. Wonderful music, fabulous song so am burning the album on the mac here for a CD to hear in VEX tomorrow:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRGf318iLww]BLACK STONE CHERRY - In My Blood - YouTube[/ame]

In my blood, indeed.....its all been so good......A Grand and Disturbing Adventure....

Robert

It's VanGogh....and I'm very familiar with his work.
Starry Starry Night is my favorite paintings.

But these are just silly works of art, from regular ole people.....like you and me. :lol:

Forum List

Back