They are rolling out Joan Baez.

rcajun90

Jul 7, 2005
New Orleans, Louisiana
What is it with some people? They are doing their best to try and turn this war into Vietnam.
Differences
1- The NVA and Vietcong were supplied and supported by a superpower.
2- Vietnam was a war of Ideology this is a war of survival.
3- We have lost of fraction of men when compared to Vietnam.
4- We were attacked first. The NVA never attacked the United States. Some would argue that Iraq did nothing but it has been proven that Saddam was aiding terrorist and one could link Iraq to 9/11.
5- We have already won the war. We are now trying to win the peace and keep
Iraq from ripping itself appart. Also we don't want Iraq to become a base for terrorists.

Why do people want to turn it into Vietnam? Is it Boomers wanting to relive their youth and give them an excuse to smoke pot and hold hands? What would they have use do? Run out of Iraq and let the terrorists take over? Unlike Vietnam, we don't have a choice but to fight. :firing:

rcajun90 said:
What is it with some people? They are doing their best to try and turn this war into Vietnam.
Differences
1- The NVA and Vietcong were supplied and supported by a superpower.
2- Vietnam was a war of Ideology this is a war of survival.
3- We have lost of fraction of men when compared to Vietnam.
4- We were attacked first. The NVA never attacked the United States. Some would argue that Iraq did nothing but it has been proven that Saddam was aiding terrorist and one could link Iraq to 9/11.
5- We have already won the war. We are now trying to win the peace and keep
Iraq from ripping itself appart. Also we don't want Iraq to become a base for terrorists.

Why do people want to turn it into Vietnam? Is it Boomers wanting to relive their youth and give them an excuse to smoke pot and hold hands? What would they have use do? Run out of Iraq and let the terrorists take over? Unlike Vietnam, we don't have a choice but to fight. :firing:

I think you are onto something regarding many of the baby boomers. However take a look at this huge population bubble and some interesting contrasts come into play. The ones that tend toward the Baez take on the world, were born from late 1940's-1953. After that, there is a real swing towards conservativism. Why? They were teens during the Civil Rights/Viet Nam/Women's Rights(ERA) 'issues'. For them, protest is a way of life.

Kathianne said:
I think you are onto something regarding many of the baby boomers. However take a look at this huge population bubble and some interesting contrasts come into play. The ones that tend toward the Baez take on the world, were born from late 1940's-1953. After that, there is a real swing towards conservativism. Why? They were teens during the Civil Rights/Viet Nam/Women's Rights(ERA) 'issues'. For them, protest is a way of life.

I think advances in communications also contributed to developing and reinforcing certain attitudes and beliefs then and now. What's easier to influence than hordes of tweens?

Hell, even David Crosby admitted he was wrong about about a few things, although it's probably not really him talking. I think he's now a robot, the Bonic Hippi :D

Said1 said:
I think advances in communications also contributed to developing and reinforcing certain attitudes and beliefs then and now. What's easier to influence than hordes of tweens?

Hell, even David Crosby admitted he was wrong about about a few things, although it's probably not really him talking. I think he's now a robot, the Bonic Hippi :D

Wow, you are so correct! So many of the young are/have been into retro, that they are listening to the music, wearing the clothes, and probably buying the messages! Arrrggg!!!

Kathianne said:
Wow, you are so correct! So many of the young are/have been into retro, that they are listening to the music, wearing the clothes, and probably buying the messages! Arrrggg!!!

You have as your avatar, "Have you forgotten?" and sadly I think the answer is yes. This isn't some 60 retro party. What will it take for us not to forget? Do we have to wait until a nuclear device is delivered to this country? Why do we have such a problem realizing that we are at war and who the enemy is? Our enemy has stated over and over that they are bent on our destruction and it is one world and on Jihad. Are we so arrogant that we don't take them seriously?
I know I'm dating myself but the Pat Benatar song "Invincible" really rings more true than Joan Baez. We have a right to be angry and we can't afford to be innocent.

Peter pans and Earth mothers---it hasn't changed enough to even be called retro----these folks have never grown up enough for any reality to jar them from thier Neverland fantasy and they will fight anyone or anything that threatens thier world of I, me, or mine. What have these people sacrificed for other people? Think about it---they take in a stray cat or put a "save the whales" bumper sticker on thier cars and think they can actually get community service credit or something. They might even give a bum a dime on a street corner or sign a petition but if mean old mom or dad try to discipline them they fly away.

Forum List

Back