These are some of the Reasons Religion Gets Bad Name.

Yeah, I see what ya mean... People, engaged as officials of a Christian church, doing things which required God to come to earth, and sacrifice his earthly body, to lift the burden that these frailties would otherwise prevent any and every human from finding fellowship with him...

CRAZY ain't it? I mean it's like God KNEW that people are incapable of perfection... and that where perfection is the threshold... people aren't going to cross.

Of course, some people would note that Christ had some pretty harsh reality for people who take it upon themselves to harm children...

Something about such people would be better off if they had tied a massive rock around their neck and jumped into the ocean.

Now I'm no biblical scholar or anything approaching one; but I gather from that, that Jesus was saying that he has a special policy for people who harm children; and I imagine that where people who do so in his name; as an official in his church; who represent themselves in a position of trust; will get some one on one time that isn't going to pleasant at ALL.

Meaning that I don't think 'the religion' which is based upon Christ... can be said to have a bad name; because people in that church do things which are contrary to Christ's teaching. Where the bad name comes in is where people buy into the pretense that there's an alternative out there, other than Christ's church; where people are closer to perfection... than 'Christians'.

Bad news kids... ain't no one perfect; and the odds that someone is going to get there faster than those who's daily focus is on the only perfection that humanity has ever witnessed; and their daily goal is being closer to that, than they were yesterday, is fairly unlikely.

Last edited:
Of course, some people would note that Christ had some pretty harsh reality for people who take it upon themselves to harm children...

Now I'm no biblical scholar or anything approaching one
That's obvious! :lol:

Psalms 137: 9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Yeah, I see what ya mean... People, engaged as officials of a Christian church, doing things which required God to come to earth, and sacrifice his earthly body, to lift the burden that these frailties would otherwise prevent any and every human from finding fellowship with him...

CRAZY ain't it? I mean it's like God KNEW that people are incapable of perfection... and that where perfection is the threshold... people aren't going to cross.

Something about such people would be better off if they had tied a massive rock around their neck and jumped into the ocean.

Now I'm no biblical scholar or anything approaching one; but I gather from that, that Jesus was saying that he has a special policy for people who harm children; and I imagine that where people who do so in his name; as an official in his church; who represent themselves in a position of trust; will get some one on one time that isn't going to pleasant at ALL.

Meaning that I don't think 'the religion' which is based upon Christ... can be said to have a bad name; because people in that church do things which are contrary to Christ's teaching. Where the bad name comes in is where people buy into the pretense that there's an alternative out there, other than Christ's church; where people are closer to perfection... than 'Christians'.

Bad news kids... ain't no one perfect; and the odds that someone is going to get there faster than those who's daily focus is on the only perfection that humanity has ever witnessed; and their daily goal is being closer to that, than they were yesterday, is fairly unlikely.

You sir, are absolutely correct.

At least according to the origin and afterlife stories believed by about a third of humanity...​

Doesn't make it any less able to give Organized Religion a really bad name.

So Let me see I have this correct

The problem with religion are the hypocrits and not the crazies?

Maybe the hypocrits and the crazies are one and the same?

This has not a lot to do with religion (as Ravi pointed out). It's about power. The same events have happened in secular situations such as boarding schools, youth camps, day schools and so on. We don't argue that education causes some teachers to commit sexual offences against their students. We know that having authority over youths or children is the key, there are some who use that authority for sexual gratification, the context of how they got that authority is largely irrelevant, the fact of that authority is relevant. And yes paedophiles who share children with each other will protect each other through any methods they can. Where an organisation protects or keeps a paedophile away from justice then it is rightly criticised, but again it's not a question of the organisation's purpose facilitating the behaviour.

Forum List

Back