There Was No 'Southern Strategy'

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
My public service: dispel the southern strategy myth!

My across-the-aisle pal wrote this: "…segregationist voters who blamed civil rights on the Democrats, swiched loyaties to new Republicans who now embraced their views. Republicans ran against busing, against afirmative action, against equal rights legislation…The south has been Republican ever since.

Another Leftist-progressive fairy tale...

From chapter 12 of "Mugged," Coulter
1. “In American politics, the Southern strategy refers to the Republican Party strategy of winning elections or to gain political support in the Southern section of the country by appealing to racism against African Americans….the strategy was first adopted under future Republican President Richard Nixon and Republican Senator Barry Goldwater[6] in the late 1960s.” Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. According to this liberal myth, Goldwater and the Republicans were racists and used racism to appeal to racist southerners to change the electoral map. To believe the tale, one must be either a reliable Democrat voter, and/or be ignorant of the history of the time.

3. Goldwater was one of only six Republican senators to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act. He did so on libertarian grounds, opposed to the act’s restrictions on private property which he believed beyond the Congress’s powers under the commerce clause. Five others supported the party’s presidential nominee.

a. Goldwater went on to win five southern states in 1964: Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina. But he lost eight.

b. Democrats build the ‘southern strategy’ tale on the fact that the same states voted for ‘Dixiecrat’ Strom Thurmond in 1948 (less Georgia).

c. Except that Nixon and Reagan lost, or almost lost the same states in ’68 and ’80…

d. And Jimmy Carter and Clinton did pretty well in those states in ’76 and ’92.

e. And the 'Goldwater states' went right back to voting Democrat for decades…

4. So…if Republicans were racists and got racist southerners to vote for them, how to explain this: Republicans always did best in the southern states that Goldwater lost, which happened to be the same ones Republicans had been winning with some regularity since 1928.

a. In ’28, ’52, ’56, and ’60, Republicans generally won Virginia, Florida, Texas, Kentucky and sometimes North Carolina or Louisiana. Did you notice that those years were before 1964?

b. Four years after Goldwater, the segregationist vote went right back to Democrats: Humphrey got half of Wallace’s supporters on election day. Nixon got none of ‘em.

“When the '68 campaign began, Nixon was at 42 percent, Humphrey at 29 percent, Wallace at 22 percent. When it ended, Nixon and Humphrey were tied at 43 percent, with Wallace at 13 percent. The 9 percent of the national vote that had been peeled off from Wallace had gone to Humphrey.” The neocons & Nixon's southern strategy - Pat Buchanan - [page]

c. In ’76, Carter swept the South. Was Carter appealing to bigots….or is that only the case when Republicans win the South?

5. Reagan lost or barely won the Goldwater states…but Reagan won among young southern voters- but lost among seniors, those who has voted in ’48 and ’64. That meant that the segregationists never abandoned the Democrats: eventually they died or were outvoted by younger voters. Nope…after Thurmond’s run, the Dixiecrats went right back to voting for Democrats for another half century.

6. In writing about McGovern and Wallace, liberal luminary, Arthur Schlesinger, actually referred to Wallace voters as responding to their candidate’s “integrity”! “The primaries themselves, especially the success of McGovern and Wallace, provide the best evidence for the proposition that voters in 1972 care less about a candidate's stand on particular issues than they do about the candidate's integrity,…” How McGovern Will Win

Get that??? Segregationist 'integrity'!!!

a. McGovern gave a tip-of-the-hat to the segregationist Wallace in his acceptance speech at the Democrat Convention. That was the exact midpoint between Goldwater and Reagan. So…what of the imaginary “southern strategy” where the Republicans were supposed to have a plan to appeal to racists?

b. Democrat McGovern: “And I was as moved as well by the appearance in the Convention Hall of the Governor of Alabama, George Wallace. … Governor, we pray for your full recovery so you can stand up and speak out for all of those who see you as their champion.”
ACCEPTANCE SPEECH OF SENATOR GEORGE MCGOVERN

Again? "so you can stand up and speak out for all of those [racist Democrats] who see you as their champion.”

The Democrat Party: slavery, segregation, sedition and secularization.

How you like that, booooyyyyyeeeeee???

Democrat McGovern: “And I was as moved as well by the appearance in the Convention Hall of the Governor of Alabama, George Wallace. … Governor, we pray for your full recovery so you can stand up and speak out for all of those who see you as their champion.”
Whether you like Ann Coulter or not, "Mugged" is a great book.

Sidebar: My Grandfather was assigned to the same B-24 squadron as McGovern in WWII and actually flew on a mission over Germany with McGovern as his Co-Pilot.

Grandpa never mentioned it to anyone and I only found out recently when I was researching his WWII records. I sometimes wonder what Grandpa thought back in 1972 when McGovern was accepting the nomination.

Wow!

Another précis that the Leftists found impossible to rebut, even to attack.

Even the Lefty quoted in the OP....the one to whom the OP was directed!

Well, then...I hereby move that the motion be carried unanimously: outside of the realm of fantasy....

there is no"Southern Strategy" that enlisted 'racist southerners' to imaginary 'racist Republicans' and thereby maintained electoral superiority for the Republican Party.

Nope....it's simply the excuse that the Democrats roll out whenever they lose an election.

And....the Republicans are the Party that was created to fight segregation....the Democrats the party that supported same.

Wow!

Well, then...I hereby move that the motion be carried unanimously: outside of the realm of fantasy....

there is no"Southern Strategy" that enlisted 'racist southerners' to imaginary 'racist Republicans' and thereby maintained electoral superiority for the Republican Party.

Nope....it's simply the excuse that the Democrats roll out whenever they lose an election.

And....the Republicans are the Party that was created to fight segregation....the Democrats the party that supported same.

You forgot your numbers.

Kevin Phillips, Richard Nixon political strategist:

"From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don’t need any more than that… but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That’s where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."

Wow!

You forgot your numbers.

Aren't you embarrassed that you never bring anything to the table?

Never anything of substance to add to the conversation?

Put a little effort in, here!!!

Well....you are a Lib....so what can one expect.

OMG! It's almost 5:30!
Don't you have to hurry off to the Dumpster???

"From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don’t need any more than that… but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That’s where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."

What's your point, BoringFriendlessGuy???

Opinions? Bloviation?
Some guy postulates blacks are this, whites are that...
...and, meanwhile, I'm giving you actual data!

Take a hint from my stuff: any errors there?

Shape up!!

Geezz....I was waitin' for one of you guys to bring up the famous LBJ quote.....
...you couldn't even do that?

Opinions? Bloviation?

Shape up!!

Geezz....I was waitin' for one of you guys to bring up the famous LBJ quote.....

'Some guy' PC...are you THAT blinded by your own doctrinaire and dogma?

Kevin 'some guy' Phillips was a strategist on voting patterns for Richard Nixon's 1968 campaign, which was the basis for a book, The Emerging Republican Majority, which predicted a conservative realignment in national politics, and is widely regarded as one of the most influential recent works in political science. His predictions regarding shifting voting patterns in presidential elections proved accurate, though they did not extend "down ballot" to Congress until the Republican revolution of 1994. Phillips also was partly responsible for the design of the Republican "Southern strategy" of the 1970s and 1980s.

My public service: dispel the southern strategy myth!

My across-the-aisle pal wrote this: "…segregationist voters who blamed civil rights on the Democrats, swiched loyaties to new Republicans who now embraced their views. Republicans ran against busing, against afirmative action, against equal rights legislation…The south has been Republican ever since.

Another Leftist-progressive fairy tale...

From chapter 12 of "Mugged," Coulter
1. “In American politics, the Southern strategy refers to the Republican Party strategy of winning elections or to gain political support in the Southern section of the country by appealing to racism against African Americans….the strategy was first adopted under future Republican President Richard Nixon and Republican Senator Barry Goldwater[6] in the late 1960s.” Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. According to this liberal myth, Goldwater and the Republicans were racists and used racism to appeal to racist southerners to change the electoral map. To believe the tale, one must be either a reliable Democrat voter, and/or be ignorant of the history of the time.

3. Goldwater was one of only six Republican senators to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Act. He did so on libertarian grounds, opposed to the act’s restrictions on private property which he believed beyond the Congress’s powers under the commerce clause. Five others supported the party’s presidential nominee.

a. Goldwater went on to win five southern states in 1964: Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina. But he lost eight.

b. Democrats build the ‘southern strategy’ tale on the fact that the same states voted for ‘Dixiecrat’ Strom Thurmond in 1948 (less Georgia).

c. Except that Nixon and Reagan lost, or almost lost the same states in ’68 and ’80…

d. And Jimmy Carter and Clinton did pretty well in those states in ’76 and ’92.

e. And the 'Goldwater states' went right back to voting Democrat for decades…

4. So…if Republicans were racists and got racist southerners to vote for them, how to explain this: Republicans always did best in the southern states that Goldwater lost, which happened to be the same ones Republicans had been winning with some regularity since 1928.

a. In ’28, ’52, ’56, and ’60, Republicans generally won Virginia, Florida, Texas, Kentucky and sometimes North Carolina or Louisiana. Did you notice that those years were before 1964?

b. Four years after Goldwater, the segregationist vote went right back to Democrats: Humphrey got half of Wallace’s supporters on election day. Nixon got none of ‘em.

“When the '68 campaign began, Nixon was at 42 percent, Humphrey at 29 percent, Wallace at 22 percent. When it ended, Nixon and Humphrey were tied at 43 percent, with Wallace at 13 percent. The 9 percent of the national vote that had been peeled off from Wallace had gone to Humphrey.” The neocons & Nixon's southern strategy - Pat Buchanan - [page]

c. In ’76, Carter swept the South. Was Carter appealing to bigots….or is that only the case when Republicans win the South?

5. Reagan lost or barely won the Goldwater states…but Reagan won among young southern voters- but lost among seniors, those who has voted in ’48 and ’64. That meant that the segregationists never abandoned the Democrats: eventually they died or were outvoted by younger voters. Nope…after Thurmond’s run, the Dixiecrats went right back to voting for Democrats for another half century.

6. In writing about McGovern and Wallace, liberal luminary, Arthur Schlesinger, actually referred to Wallace voters as responding to their candidate’s “integrity”! “The primaries themselves, especially the success of McGovern and Wallace, provide the best evidence for the proposition that voters in 1972 care less about a candidate's stand on particular issues than they do about the candidate's integrity,…” How McGovern Will Win

Get that??? Segregationist 'integrity'!!!

a. McGovern gave a tip-of-the-hat to the segregationist Wallace in his acceptance speech at the Democrat Convention. That was the exact midpoint between Goldwater and Reagan. So…what of the imaginary “southern strategy” where the Republicans were supposed to have a plan to appeal to racists?

b. Democrat McGovern: “And I was as moved as well by the appearance in the Convention Hall of the Governor of Alabama, George Wallace. … Governor, we pray for your full recovery so you can stand up and speak out for all of those who see you as their champion.”

Again? "so you can stand up and speak out for all of those [racist Democrats] who see you as their champion.”

The Democrat Party: slavery, segregation, sedition and secularization.

How you like that, booooyyyyyeeeeee???

"Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman apologized to one of the nation's largest black civil rights groups Thursday, saying Republicans had not done enough to court blacks in the past and had exploited racial strife to court white voters, particularly in the South."

"Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization," Mehlman said at the annual convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. "I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

"Mehlman's apology to the NAACP at the group's convention in Milwaukee marked the first time a top Republican Party leader has denounced the so-called Southern Strategy employed by Richard Nixon and other Republicans to peel away white voters in what was then the heavily Democratic South. Beginning in the mid-1960s, Republicans encouraged disaffected Southern white voters to vote Republican by blaming pro-civil rights Democrats for racial unrest and other racial problems."

USATODAY.com - GOP: 'We were wrong' to play racial politics

Point #1

The Southern Strategy lives till this day and 90% of blacks will not vote Republican. It has been working so well that 70% of Hispanics will not vote Republican either

Opinions? Bloviation?

Shape up!!

'Some guy' PC...are you THAT blinded by your own doctrinaire and dogma?

Kevin 'some guy' Phillips was a strategist on voting patterns for Richard Nixon's 1968 campaign, which was the basis for a book, The Emerging Republican Majority, which predicted a conservative realignment in national politics, and is widely regarded as one of the most influential recent works in political science. His predictions regarding shifting voting patterns in presidential elections proved accurate, though they did not extend "down ballot" to Congress until the Republican revolution of 1994. Phillips also was partly responsible for the design of the Republican "Southern strategy" of the 1970s and 1980s.

Shape up!!

Facts....not opinions!

Try.

The Southern Strategy lives till this day and 90% of blacks will not vote Republican. It has been working so well that 70% of Hispanics will not vote Republican either

It seems you aren't ready to deal with the data in the OP....

....take your time.

....take your time.

Ann Coulter says there was no Southern Strategy...

Color me convinced

....take your time.

Color me convinced

1. Let's spend a moment with our poster on the witness stand....

What inspires me to pursue such investigations is not just the specific facts involved in exposing the Left, but the human element, the psychology involved. The wingster, as a prime example, is hardly stupid, yet prone to be manipulated by what the father of anarcho-socialism, Georges Sorel, explained as the need for a deliberately-conceived "myth" to sway crowds, put to use by the Fascist and Communist movements.

2. Somehow, our Leftist acolyte is willing and able to put aside his experience and insight when it comes to the Lefts fables.
Here is a typical example: he claims that the Southern Strategy was created by the Republicans, who, one would imagine, had designs on winning elections.

Yet, The 10 states with the largest black alone-or-in-combination populations in 2010 were New York (3.3 million), Florida (3.2 million), Texas (3.2 million), Georgia (3.1 million), California (2.7 million), North Carolina (2.2 million), Illinois (2.0 million), Maryland (1.8 million), Virginia (1.7 million) and Ohio (1.5 million). Among these states, four experienced substantial growth between 2000 and 2010. The black alone-or-in-combination population in Florida grew by 29 percent, Georgia by 28 percent, Texas by 27 percent and North Carolina by 21 percent. 2010 Census Shows Black Population has Highest Concentration in the South - 2010 Census - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

See the southern states in there?

a. Many times, I've stated that facts have no effect on the Leftist....see what I mean?
Our leftist is prepared to believe that Republicans are prepared to write off these numbers of voters.

3. Further….how well did that imaginary ‘Southern Strategy’ work? From the OP, one can see, not so well.
…yet he avers “ "…segregationist voters who blamed civil rights on the Democrats, swiched loyaties to new Republicans who now embraced their views. Republicans ran against busing, against afirmative action, against equal rights legislation…The south has been Republican ever since.”

Sure about that?

Yet the facts....see the OP.....clearly show that that is not the case.

Again...
a. Many times, I've stated that facts have no effect on the Leftist....see what I mean?

No....he is not stupid.....one may find him.....'disingenuous'....but I believe there is something else at play.....

....and it ain't good.

....take your time.

Color me convinced

What inspires me to pursue such investigations is not just the specific facts involved in exposing the Left, but the human element, the psychology involved. The wingster, as a prime example, is hardly stupid, yet prone to be manipulated by what the father of anarcho-socialism, Georges Sorel, explained as the need for a deliberately-conceived "myth" to sway crowds, put to use by the Fascist and Communist movements.

2. Somehow, our Leftist acolyte is willing and able to put aside his experience and insight when it comes to the Lefts fables.
Here is a typical example: he claims that the Southern Strategy was created by the Republicans, who, one would imagine, had designs on winning elections.

Yet, The 10 states with the largest black alone-or-in-combination populations in 2010 were New York (3.3 million), Florida (3.2 million), Texas (3.2 million), Georgia (3.1 million), California (2.7 million), North Carolina (2.2 million), Illinois (2.0 million), Maryland (1.8 million), Virginia (1.7 million) and Ohio (1.5 million). Among these states, four experienced substantial growth between 2000 and 2010. The black alone-or-in-combination population in Florida grew by 29 percent, Georgia by 28 percent, Texas by 27 percent and North Carolina by 21 percent. 2010 Census Shows Black Population has Highest Concentration in the South - 2010 Census - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

Our leftist is prepared to believe that Republicans are prepared to write off these numbers of voters.

3. Further….how well did that imaginary ‘Southern Strategy’ work? From the OP, one can see, not so well.
…yet he avers “ "…segregationist voters who blamed civil rights on the Democrats, swiched loyaties to new Republicans who now embraced their views. Republicans ran against busing, against afirmative action, against equal rights legislation…The south has been Republican ever since.”

Sure about that?

Again...

No....he is not stupid.....one may find him.....'disingenuous'....but I believe there is something else at play.....

....and it ain't good.

I guess that is what you get when you quote Ann Coulter. She is just Andrew Breitbart with a larger adams apple

What does Coulter use to claim there was no Southern Strategy? Jimmy Carter took the south in 1976? After Nixon resigned to avoid impeachment and former Georgia Governor Carter runs against unpopular Ford, Coulter has the nerve to use this as justification the Southern Strategy didn't exist?

Breitbart would have been proud of Coulter/PC

Color me convinced

Sure about that?

Again...

....and it ain't good.

I guess that is what you get when you quote Ann Coulter. She is just Andrew Breitbart with a larger adams apple

What does Coulter use to claim there was no Southern Strategy? Jimmy Carter took the south in 1976? After Nixon resigned to avoid impeachment and former Georgia Governor Carter runs against unpopular Ford, Coulter has the nerve to use this as justification the Southern Strategy didn't exist?

You mean I was able to prove the point....

....isn't that what you mean?

Sure about that?

Again...

....and it ain't good.

You mean I was able to prove the point....

....isn't that what you mean?

The point being that your posts are your pathetic attempts at being a Coulter wannabe?

Forum List

Back