There is systemic racism we are unable to discuss calmly

MThomasson

Rookie
Aug 20, 2017
Hello I'm nobody or I'm everyone I'm not sure. The passion behind this subject is palpable. We must find a way to have this conversation and still hear each other. Passion steps in and anger follows.....conversation over.
Fact: The country is still run by old white men!
The poor, immigrants and blacks are at the bottom of the list of importance because they feel we have nothing to offer and so they can use us without conscience. Flint is a perfect reflection of what I speak.
Fact: We have glossed over these issues too long. That is why the conversation has to occur. The country is crying to be heard ....to be seen.

Of course this conversation is uncomfortable. If you're not uncomfortable then you're set in stone and angry no matter which side you're on. Where do we go from here?

Love, Understanding, Respect for differing viewpoints is the course necessary.....easy to say right?

This is our challenge.

Insisting that minorities are not part of the "ruling class" is untrue and only serves to exacerbate this Nations' problems. You seek to further divide rather than unite. You belittle the efforts of great men like MLK when you deny their accomplishments. You increase the anger. You are not part of the solution; you are part of the problem.

Uncomfortable it is not. But when the baseline for this respectful, loving conversation requires the assumption that Flint is an example of racism by old. white. men. with the addition of 'they' against 'us' it doesn't appear to be a respectful or understanding conversation that you're after.

Pray tell what bearing age, race or gender have on one's ability to govern?

Fact: We've had 8 years of a relatively young black male running the country. We've had a black SC Justice for 26 years and he wasn't the first. We had a black Sec of State, a black Nat'l Sec. advisor - 2 black AG's. One Hispanic AG...more than one Hispanic Gov., and two Asian-American Gov.'s...and several women in high places.

Venezuela has an exclusively Hispanic government, China is pretty much run by Chinese men, most countries in Africa are run by black men...how do those countries compare in terms of fair treatment and individual economic opportunity...what is their record on human and civil rights?

My point is this - I'll discuss the state of affairs politely, respectfully with you all day long...but I will not affirm misconceptions.

Is there systemic racism?...I believe there is - best illustrated by the institutionalized standard of 'lowered expectations' for behavior and success...which, of course, can only be remedied by a 'benevolent white knight' disguised as Robin Hood seeking nothing in return but your vote.

Bigotry against age, race or gender is never justifiable...even by the minority. In the US we do not hold the son accountable for the fathers crimes. If we can begin there, we can converse.

“Of course this conversation is uncomfortable.”

For most conservatives this conversation is uncomfortable.

It requires them to acknowledge the fact that sanctioned racism exists, racism practiced by much of their political base, where conservatives are loath to condemn that racism for fear of losing that political base.

And conservatives must acknowledge the fact that there are racist elements of their own political agenda, such as the GOP’s voter suppression efforts.

It requires them to acknowledge the fact that sanctioned racism exists, racism practiced by much of their political base, where conservatives are loath to condemn that racism for fear of losing that political base.

And conservatives must acknowledge the fact that there are racist elements of their own political agenda, such as the GOP’s voter suppression efforts.
^^^ insists on still being the problem ^^^

You add nothing to this conversation.

Hello I'm nobody or I'm everyone I'm not sure. The passion behind this subject is palpable. We must find a way to have this conversation and still hear each other. Passion steps in and anger follows.....conversation over.

Re the 'old' part, nobody really wants to be governed by airhead 18 year olds, and re the second part, minorities are grossly over-represented in govt. and especially in the Federal bureaucracy, despite what you're being fed in school and the MSM.

The poor, immigrants and blacks are at the bottom of the list of importance because they feel we have nothing to offer and so they can use us without conscience. Flint is a perfect reflection of what I speak.

They're at the bottom because they insist on shooting themselves in the foot, worshipping garbage like Al Sharpton or Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton, who are never ever going to do anything but laugh at them, loot them, and spit on them; they're 'Deplorables'. Sad but true.

Fact: We have glossed over these issues too long. That is why the conversation has to occur. The country is crying to be heard ....to be seen.

Hyperbole, not 'fact'.

Of course this conversation is uncomfortable.

Only for those with no genuine morality or principles, and trying to peddle rubbish.

Where do we go from here?

Well, I'm going to mow the yard in a little while, and then we're going to go the park and watch a ball game.

How about you?

Love, Understanding, Respect for differing viewpoints is the course necessary.....easy to say right?

As long as those 'viewpoints' match your own, you mean ... FYI, memes and slogans aren't viewpoints, they're just propaganda.

This is our challenge.

The challenge is education and developing critical thinking skills, as opposed to NAMBLA Logic and sloganeering.

"NAMBLA" logic - an extreme absolutist position which demands that for logical consistencies sake that certain gross crimes be allowed, in order that no one might feel restrained."-Stirling S. Newberry

And, take a hint from this fellow when inventing 'talking points'.

And here is what bothers me so much about modern "scholarship." At what point did history become ethics? Why should we subvert the elusive search for facts to moralist concerns? So what if they are on or off the hook? If you want to be a preacher, go preach. If you want to save the world, go into politics. If you want to invent a world free of evil, take Prozac. It was said in Ecclesiastes and it still is true today, people suck. They did then, all of them. They do now, all of us. History is the history of self-interested, competing, aggressive, selfish, murderous humans. At what point did it become a morality play? -Dave WIlliams, George mason Univ.

Spewing bullshit is not discourse.

Of course this conversation is uncomfortable. If you're not uncomfortable then you're set in stone and angry no matter which side you're on. Where do we go from here?

This is our challenge.

There is no challenge. If you believe there is systemic racism, then the system is racist and cannot continue. That's why the left keeps talking about systemic racism. There is nothing to be done with systemic racism except end the system and presumably install a more fair, communist system. Right?

The fact is, whether you like facts or not, the left, blacks and latinos do not want a conversation. They want what they have always gotten. Sit down and shut up, you will be lectured. That's what they want. Well, the fact is, whether you like facts or not, whites are no longer listening. Don't want to listen, They want YOU to shut up and go to work, take care of your kids, join a club, something except endlessly bleat. The fact is, whether you like facts or not, we have been listening to bleating for 50 years and you have never once extended yourself for your own good.

Blacks, especially, and then latinos intend to lecture once again and the lectures are all the same "Make us successful, go ahead we DARE you to try".

This is our challenge.
The ironic part is that the leftist complaining about racism is part of the group perpetuating it.

Do you respect my view that it doesn't matter what percentage of what occupation or group is what color, and people who whine about that sort of thing are the ones perpetuating racism in the first place?

Grump-cat-meme.jpg

Do you, then, admit that there are "racist elements" of your political agenda? If everyone is truly equally capable, then why the need for things like Affirmative Action? If all people are equally capable, why do certain organisations (i.e. the federal government) have what amounts to quotas for certain groups in hiring, and promoting?

Is Al Sharpton racist? I don't know, but I sure can make the argument. Are there racists on the right? Sure, racism knows no political affiliation. Is racism the real problem, or is it divisiveness?

As for voter suppression efforts... Are you telling us, then, that the Black Panthers are part of the GOP? One can only assume so, as you have not said anything about such activities in any other political party. I am sure it would come as a surprise to most Black Panthers that they are Republicans...

It requires them to acknowledge the fact that sanctioned Rackham exists, racism practiced by much of their political base, where conservatives are loath to condemn that racism for fear of losing that political base.

I acknowledge there is sanctioned racism - by you and others of your ilk - in Affirmative Action (soon to be eliminated by the American people by having elected Trump
Next will need to be reparations$$ paid to millions of White victims of this malicious black privilege

So what is the OP saying, that Obama was a house-boy for rich white Democrats?

This is our challenge.

So who was running the country for the past 8 years? Old white Democrats and their 'clean' black man?

So who was running the country for the past 8 years? Old white Democrats and their 'clean' black man?

Well, technically, president Obama was 50% old white guy...

Do you, then, admit that there are "racist elements" of your political agenda?

Well, no, because there aren't any.

If everyone is truly equally capable, then why the need for things like Affirmative Action? If all people are equally capable, why do certain organisations (i.e. the federal government) have what amounts to quotas for certain groups in hiring, and promoting

Strawman, as affirmative action is not base on everyone being "equally capable."

Is Al Sharpton racist? I don't know, but I sure can make the argument.

Al Sharpton isn't making any policies, so that's a red herring.

In contrast, white racists _are_ making the policies, such as vote suppression, backing the prison-industrial complex, and stealing wealth away from working people.

Are there racists on the right? Sure, racism knows no political affiliation. Is racism the real problem, or is it divisiveness

Divisiveness being the core position of the right is also a problem, yes. It's closely related to racism, as the right divides largely based on racism. Just look at Obama, the greatest uniter in American history, and look at his opposition, the ugliest and most divisive race-baiters in Ameircan history.

As for voter suppression efforts... Are you telling us, then, that the Black Panthers are part of the GOP?

As the black panthers have never engaged in vote suppression, why are you saying such a crazy thing?

One can only assume so, as you have not said anything about such activities in any other political party. I am sure it would come as a surprise to most Black Panthers that they are Republicans...

Oh, I see why. Racist vote suppression is a core principle of the Republican party, one that they can't remain in power without using. Thus, it's forbidden for any Republicans to admit that, so you're handwaving the issue away with some "But both sides do it!" fiction.

This is our challenge.

University debates are usually centrally controlled. When certain types of debates are always controlled to start as hysteria, then logic dictates that those debate topics are taboo. Racism and ethnic conflict are taboos then. This situation has not changed since 1970, and will never change, because there is too much money in it.

This is our challenge.
The ironic part is that the leftist complaining about racism is part of the group perpetuating it.

Do you respect my view that it doesn't matter what percentage of what occupation or group is what color, and people who whine about that sort of thing are the ones perpetuating racism in the first place?

Grump-cat-meme.jpg

No because do you know how many billions of student loan dollars universities would lose out on if affirmative action was to suddenly stop today? Your diversified personal retirement portfolio depends on it.

Insisting that minorities are not part of the "ruling class" is untrue and only serves to exacerbate this Nations' problems. You seek to further divide rather than unite. You belittle the efforts of great men like MLK when you deny their accomplishments. You increase the anger. You are not part of the solution; you are part of the problem.
Not only that... But minorities are currently in positions of power disproportionate to their numbers in society. The same people who claim race shouldn't matter, are the same ones who claim "old white men run the country"... Go figure...

Well, technically, president Obama was 50% old white guy...

And he likes spending a lot of time on golf courses and yachts with old white guy billionaires, too. Guess who he really represents?

Affirmative Action died in 1969, with the election of Nixon and the implementing of a quota system. They kept just kept the name as a smoke screen, like the Commie cesspools call themselves 'democratic republics', and Democrats calling themselves 'the Party of Jefferson'.

Forum List

Back