There Is No Tomorrow: Bush Proposes $3.11 Trillion Budget

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
Why should this last Bush budget be any different that those of preceding years? By the time the Bush years are over, his budgets will have blown about $3.5 trillion in money that we did not have. Money that we have had to borrow from overseas and from future generations. From the first Bush deficit budget to the last, I have argued that we are weakened when we borrow and spend such vast sums. Right now, for example, we owe Japan close to $600 billion, China $380 billion, and OPEC $130 billion. How would you like to pay the interest on that? Well, you are. If the Iraq War was a good idea, then we should not have been afraid to actually pay for it with reduced spending elsewhere and a war tax. Instead, Bush just billed the gigantic expense to future generations. How politically weak and economically mindless was that? These past seven years we have been swimming down to Wal-Mart to buy Chinese goods and floating in an ocean of money that we have not even earned yet. Maybe instead of attacking Iraq, we should have just purchased it. And this year, we are seeing the results of Bush economic and energy policy. We have done zero during the Bush years to gain energy independence, and that was deriliction of duty. Bush did zip to develop oil shale or coal gasification. As far as I am aware, not one new nuclear power plant has been started during the past seven years. Because of the Bush derilection of energy policy duty, we now get to suck up the entire shock of $100 per barrel oil, while simultaneously pumping up our enemies, such as Chavez, the Mullahs, and yes, Putin.

Bush Proposes $3.11 Trillion Budget

complete article: http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...69-54A6-4389-A41C-1D5E25708F38}&dist=hplatest

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- President Bush on Monday sent Congress a $3.11 trillion budget request that sees a worsening deficit over the next two years but projects a balanced federal budget by 2012.

The budget request seeks a 6% rise in total government spending for fiscal 2009, which begins Oct. 1. The deficit would total $407 billion.

The White House expects the government to end the current fiscal year with a deficit of $410 billion. This is a sharp increase from a deficit of $162 billion last year.

"The primary reason for increasing deficits in the near term is the president's economic growth package and an expected slowing of receipt growth, due to an expected reduction in corporate tax receipts from recent record highs," according to the budget request.

Why should this last Bush budget be any different that those of preceding years? By the time the Bush years are over, his budgets will have blown about $3.5 trillion in money that we did not have. Money that we have had to borrow from overseas and from future generations. From the first Bush deficit budget to the last, I have argued that we are weakened when we borrow and spend such vast sums. Right now, for example, we owe Japan close to $600 billion, China $380 billion, and OPEC $130 billion. How would you like to pay the interest on that? Well, you are. If the Iraq War was a good idea, then we should not have been afraid to actually pay for it with reduced spending elsewhere and a war tax. Instead, Bush just billed the gigantic expense to future generations. How politically weak and economically mindless was that? These past seven years we have been swimming down to Wal-Mart to buy Chinese goods and floating in an ocean of money that we have not even earned yet. Maybe instead attacking Iraq, we should have just purchased it. And this year, we are seeing the results of Bush economic and energy policy. We have done zero during the Bush years to gain energy independence, and that was deriliction of duty. Bush did zip to develop oil shale or coal gasification. As far as I am aware, not one new nuclear power plant has been started during the past seven years. Because of the Bush derilection of energy policy duty, we now get to suck up the entire shock of $100 per barrel oil, while simultaneously pumping up our enemies, such as Chavez, the Mullahs, and yes, Putin.

I agree with everything you said. Bush has been an economic disaster for this country and we have only just begun to reap the results of his poor stewardship.

Now, I just wish that people would stop saying republicans are better fiscal managers than dem. :eusa_wall:

I agree with everything you said. Bush has been an economic disaster for this country and we have only just begun to reap the results of his poor stewardship.

Now, I just wish that people would stop saying republicans are better fiscal managers than dem. :eusa_wall:

And yet THIS budget just like last years will be created and approved by DEMOCRATS, go figure.

And yet THIS budget just like last years will be created and approved by DEMOCRATS, go figure.

Right... because they didn't have the balls to tell Bush to pound salt on funding Iraq without requiring benchmarks in an election year.

Not to mention, Baby Bush loves using his veto pen and we aren't veto-proof so they're being wussies.

Right... because they didn't have the balls to tell Bush to pound salt on funding Iraq without requiring benchmarks in an election year.

Not to mention, Baby Bush loves using his veto pen and we aren't veto-proof so they're being wussies.

The fault still lies with the Democratic majority in the end. The budget is their Constitutional purview. If they don't like it, they should send Bush one they do like and keep sending it to him until he signs it.

You are of course aware that Congress, no the President, creates the Budget? All the President can do is submit what he wants. Congress is free to create any budget they chose.

Really? You think so? Bush admitted with impunity that the admin and Congress worked out the budget together when he had a repub majority.

The fault still lies with the Democratic majority in the end. The budget is their Constitutional purview. If they don't like it, they should send Bush one they do like and keep sending it to him until he signs it.

You won't find an argument from me on that subject. I think they have been abysmal in exercising their oversight power. I also know that's the case because heaven forbid they should have gone into an election year with the repubs yelling that they're soft on terrorism.

Although, frankly, I think they should have told Bush to stick it instead of being repub-lite.

You won't find an argument from me on that subject. I think they have been abysmal in exercising their oversight power. I also know that's the case because heaven forbid they should have gone into an election year with the repubs yelling that they're soft on terrorism.

Although, frankly, I think they should have told Bush to stick it instead of being repub-lite.

Yeah, they should definitely have told Bush to stick it. But they had their fingers in the air checking the wind instead of checking their principles. Same thing that happened with the initial Iraq war authorization.

Yeah, they should definitely have told Bush to stick it. But they had their fingers in the air checking the wind instead of checking their principles. Same thing that happened with the initial Iraq war authorization.

Of course that's what happened. They figured no one could call them "soft" if they went along.

Of course that's what happened. They figured no one could call them "soft" if they went along.

Yes. And that's one big problem I have with the likes of Hillary. I think she's just the sort of politician (like most) who make these kinds of political calculi before doing anything.

At least with Obama I have hope the guy is fairly principled and is going to do what he thinks is right and not what will always make him the most popular person.

Yes. And that's one big problem I have with the likes of Hillary. I think she's just the sort of politician (like most) who make these kinds of political calculi before doing anything.

At least with Obama I have hope the guy is fairly principled and is going to do what he thinks is right and not what will always make him the most popular person.

My problem with Obama is I don't think he can win and we can't do anything if McCain is president.

My problem with Obama is I don't think he can win and we can't do anything if McCain is president.

I don't know - I think Obama has a better shot winning in Nov. than Hillary will have. Looks like Obama and Hillary are in a dead heat for tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

As much as I don't like Bush, how do you place the blame on him, when Congress as a whole is BACKING it?

3.11 TRILLION DOLLARS??? WHAT THE FUCK?? So maybe they'll tinker around with it, and get it to where they like it better..

What would that be...maybe 2.5 Trillion?? 2 Trillion?? What's the god damn difference at this point.

I don't know - I think Obama has a better shot winning in Nov. than Hillary will have. Looks like Obama and Hillary are in a dead heat for tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

Oh God.

Can you imagine THEIR deficit budgets???

We're so fucking FUCKED.

I'm so happy that I can proudly say I had absolutely nothing to do with electing any one of the fucking idiots in this government.

Forum List

Back