There is an upside to the mess in Japan

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
It's the first weekend of spring break and whale watching season, and I was able to book an oceanfront room with NO problem for tomorrow and the next day, AND got a whopping discount off the OFF season rate.

The Oregon coast is suffering because of the tsunami & fear of radiation. This is good news for someone who is not very organized, is always on a budget, and wanted to flee to the coast with zero notice.

I pray for the people of Japan, but damn, how precipitous for me!

:dance:

this is pushing the envelope a bit

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cKA-Pf3qLc"]When you're alone, in dire need, who is at your side in lightning speed..[/ame]

It's the first weekend of spring break and whale watching season, and I was able to book an oceanfront room with NO problem for tomorrow and the next day, AND got a whopping discount off the OFF season rate.

The Oregon coast is suffering because of the tsunami & fear of radiation. This is good news for someone who is not very organized, is always on a budget, and wanted to flee to the coast with zero notice.

That is kind of scary. Hordes of paniced liberals fleeing inland from the coast.

• Banned
I know, it's awful. But it's true...I was puzzled trying to figure out why I was able to get exactly the room I wanted, where I wanted, on the opening weekend of spring break at SEASIDE (arguably one of the world's best resort towns/beaches). Slowly it dawned on me...and was reinforced when my oldest son freaked out because heed was certain we were going to be drenched with radiation before being swept out to sea.

• Banned

That is kind of scary. Hordes of paniced liberals fleeing inland from the coast.

God I hope not. Maybe it's time for a move seaward...

I know, it's awful. But it's true...I was puzzled trying to figure out why I was able to get exactly the room I wanted, where I wanted, on the opening weekend of spring break at SEASIDE (arguably one of the world's best resort towns/beaches). Slowly it dawned on me...and was reinforced when my oldest son freaked out because heed was certain we were going to be drenched with radiation before being swept out to sea.

Have fun. We were there last summer (a little south of Seaside). Think of the plus side. The radiation will warm up the March beach.

• Banned
there is no upside to the tragedy in Japan.... it's horrific.... :(

Yes, there is. The upside is that rooms on the Oregon coast are more affordable because of it.

Christ, take the corncob out of your ass.

• Banned

Have fun. We were there last summer (a little south of Seaside). Think of the plus side. The radiation will warm up the March beach.

I was raised in Florence, my mom went to school in yachats and waldport. But Seaside is the gem for young kids. Everything you need is on the promenade, it's beautiful, there's an arcade and the aquarium within walking distance. It's fabulous.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

It is an ill wind that blows no good.

My sun sets to rise again.

You are definitely not an optimist. That baby that survived the tsunami and 4 days buries in the rubble will grow up to disagree with you about there being nothing good about the tsunami.

You are definitely not an optimist. That baby that survived the tsunami and 4 days buries in the rubble will grow up to disagree with you about there being nothing good about the tsunami.

SO the baby found alive after 4 days, and allie's cheaper hotel room makes the Tsunami a good thing, an upside? And I should take your word on that....? That's just silly as can be...Quantum. :eusa_eh:

SO the baby found alive after 4 days, and allie's cheaper hotel room makes the Tsunami a good thing, an upside? And I should take your word on that....? That's just silly as can be...Quantum. :eusa_eh:

Either you do not think finding a baby alive is good news or you think I made it up. I am going to assume you think the latter and that you are actually happy to here the baby lived, and that you think it is a good thing.

Japan: Four days after the quake - Photo Galleries - sacbee.com

This could make a great groupon.com Super Bowl commercial...like this one...

Last edited by a moderator:
there is no upside to the tragedy in Japan.... it's horrific....

Stop being so bloody precious.

OK, there's a moral obligation that we all shed a tear for those effected by the earthquake and subsequent tidal wave that's devastated Japan. But that doesn't mean we have to stay glued to our TV screens whilst holding hands and weeping. It's a natural disaster that the media are exploiting to sell news. Get over the sense of guilt the media's forcing on you. In short, people die ever day. There'll be plenty of natural disasters in the future for you to feast your conscience on.

Enjoy your discounted break, Allie. But don't, under any circumstance, let yours and your childrens' trip to the coast be ruined by some daydreaming idiot with a guilt-ridden axe to grind.

Last edited:
Though the title is insensitive, I side with Allie on this one. People have fled the coast. This is hurting people on the coast. So they've dropped prices to lure people back. And now people are going back. That's a good thing.

i knew the minute i saw the thread title ....this would not go well....

is allie simply stating that to every cloud there is a silver lining?

yes

is it crass and classless to point this out in the manner she did....

o hell yes

Once the dust settles this will likely be a good thing for the US on the economic front.
Unfortunately it's the way the world works. There always seems to be a winner and a loser in tragedy like this. And the US is not immune. What goes around comes around, and we should be taking lessons from the Japanese handling of the situation.

Forum List

Back