There Has To Be Some BALANCE In This Matter of Unions

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MarcATL, Dec 13, 2012.

1. MarcATL

MarcATL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,747
    To be honest, the right has a point in their opposition of unions, however they are wrong. They are correct in recognizing the dangers of unions. As with anything, like business or capitalism, unions can get out of control and power-hungry, and as such, should be curbed.

However, that's not to say that they should not exist, just as no one sensible would argue that businesses, or capitalism should not exist, they just need to be curbed...aka regulated, as the case may be.

It is true, that unions can foster a culture of laziness, I've witnessed it myself, being part of management in a prominent company in NY that most everyone has heard of when I lived there. People can get into the whole attitude of "well that's not my job on paper, so I'm not doing it." However, that really boils down to the individual, remember "Individual Responsibility" Republicans?

At the same time, unions have been a TREMENDOUS force of good in this country and others, creating certain standards for workers, destroying child-labor abuse, getting folks fair compensation, regulating the work week as far as how many hours an employer can force an employee to work, etc., etc., etc., the list is long. So therefore, there is a place for them.

The Republicans cannot come to the table expecting to do away with unions for good, that's not sensible, it's radical. At the same time Democrats must not feel that unions can do no wrong, they can, just as businesses can and do.

We just need to find a happy medium...that's the trick.

My 2 cents.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    OK, then only unions can form in the private sector and we'll call it a deal.

3. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Here is my happy medium.... choose what you want.

unions stop forcing people to join the union. Business should be allowed to hire anyone they want, union or non union.

If people want to walk of their jobs and quit ie strike, that is up to them, business should be allowed to fill the position that is now vacant with a new employee.

bottom line... choice.

4. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,666
    Before unions in the public sector, you had the Spoils System. You want that back?

5. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,459

I think that, as usual, both ends of the argument have reasonable points. Strong current wages and workplace safety rules are valuable and critical. But post-employment costs and quality concerns have to be addressed as well. Move unions away from pensions to 401K's and insure that employees have to keep quality up or lose their jobs (just as any non-union employee would have to do) and I suspect the anti-union arguments would lose most of their effectiveness.

6. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,666
    Let's not forget...those choosing to not join a union negotiate their own pay, benefits, etc. and not get what the union negotiates and they do not get the benefit of union representation in legal matters, etc.

That would be totally fair and doable.

7. BreezeWood

BreezeWood VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +475
    Where is the Chamber of Labour ?

8. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    You can collective bargain all you want... and the employer should be able to collectively fire your asses if your demands are unreasonable and if they can find others to work cheaper....

If someone wants a position and they want to join the union to collectively bargain.. fine... If another person wants the same position but does not want union help or representation to negotiate their compensation, etc.. fine

9. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119

How would strikes be effective? How would violence against scabs be avoided?

If there is no legal protection for striking workers, what leverage do they really have when there's always a layer of needy people who are willing to step in and work for lower wages even though the workers are striking for something really important?

I think unions have discredited themselves but how far would their gains (such as good working conditions) have to be chipped away before the law should intervene?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  10. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    That is still going on. And it doesn't address the union problem we have in the public sector.