There, but for the grace of God, go I

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BDBoop, Aug 18, 2011.

1. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    YORK | Strangers help York woman, boy found living in makeshift tent | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

Three years ago, that would have been me, (sans grandchild). My husband made a unilateral decision our marriage was over. I had been a housewife for the past eight years. He kicked me to the curb, like I was just another form of trash. If my sister had not opened her home to me ... I asked him. What if she hadn't. Where did he think I'd go? He didn't know.

I was/am blessed. I had a sister who could make space for me, and she had a significant other who said yes, she can stay. Five weeks later, I had a job, and I saved to get my own apartment. Five months later, the job was past-tense, and I started earning on the internet. My best friend was my safety net. I'm in the process of paying her back, and at the end of my first year of employment, the $2400 she expended on me in 2011 will be paid in full.

Not all of us are so blessed. Hundreds of thousands if not millions are not so blessed. The lady in the article actually had to land in a tent in the woods before anybody helped her. In this country. Allegedly and arguably "the greatest country in the world", a middle-aged woman wound up homeless, with her grandson.

That's just wrong.

2. Defiant1

Defiant1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +987
    So, somehow I'm financially responsible for women without back-up plans?

3. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Generally, happily married women are unaware of the need for back up plans.