There are so many levels of stupidity in this article - it boggles the mind.

Like the enemy cannot see the buildup before the offensive? They have so many spies infiltrated in all levels that nothing we do is secret.

It amazes me that people in power positions don't understand historical reality. All these exercises and "American blood spilled will not accomplish anything but the loss of human lives. If we all left today the country would be the same as when we leave in a year. A waste of money and lives.

We are done in Afghanistan, we just don't know it yet.

We were done when we went there.
We are playing war rather than actually engaging in one.
To release an article stating "this is likely the last maneuver" is an obvious invitation to the Taliban "hey - go to the hills for the next few weeks while we run around over there, and then we are leaving and you can have at it".
Why have this maneuver at all?? :cuckoo:
Dumb dumb dumb.
Just leave if this is all we are going to do. Just like Vietnam...take a hill...leave the hill...take the hilll again...leave the hill...

Last edited:

To release an article stating "this is likely the last maneuver" is an obvious invitation to the Taliban "hey - go to the hills for the next few weeks while we run around over there, and then we are leaving and you can have at it".
Dumb dumb dumb.
Just leave if this is all we are going to do. Just like Vietnam...take a hill...leave the hill...take the hilll again...leave the hill...

As soon as we got involved in rebuilding the country we were fucked, not to mention getting involved in trying to stop the flow of drugs there.

Dumb dumb dumb.

As soon as we got involved in rebuilding the country we were fucked, not to mention getting involved in trying to stop the flow of drugs there.

Damn straight.
Bush Sr. did it right. Have a plan, obliterate the enemy forces mercilessly - and then leave.
LEAVING is a very important part of any military action.
You minimize your casualties, hopefully have as few civilian casualties as you can - but the destruction of your enemy is the reason you are there. If you can't do that because you are afraid of what the Europeans will think or that the U.N. will get upset - then don't go there in the first place.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Dumb dumb dumb.

Damn straight.
Bush Sr. did it right. Have a plan, obliterate the enemy forces mercilessly - and then leave.
You minimize your casualties, hopefully have as few civilian casualties as you can - but the destruction of your enemy is the reason you are there. If you can't do that because you are afraid of what the Europeans will think or that the U.N. will get upset - then don't go there in the first place.

That pretty much nails it right there, did you read the article on how we changed our night operations to get Afghan approval beforehand? what a fuckin joke, now the Taliban will know where we are going to go when the sun goes down before we get there.:cuckoo:

Damn straight.

That pretty much nails it right there, did you read the article on how we changed our night operations to get Afghan approval beforehand? what a fuckin joke, now the Taliban will know where we are going to go when the sun goes down before we get there.:cuckoo:

This is what happens when you have politicians fighting a war.
And this is why Bush Sr. did such a great job with Desert Storm - he picked a great General to lead the invasion - and stayed out of the way.
I don't know if you ever saw the Iraqi- killing fields on the road to Baghdad? Just wow.
We waited for the Iraqi military to gather together and made them think we were going to allow them to escape...and then literally wiped out 1000's of them in a matter of minutes.
Brutal and merciless. But that is what war is.
This single move is the difference between Bush Sr. and Bush Jr.
Bush Jr. allowed the Iraqis to escape to Baghdad and disperse. Which is why WE ARE STILL THERE.

Ending all these worthless, life consuming, patty cake engagements in the middle east would go a long way towards repairing our economy.

We are not the worlds police.

Damn straight.

And this is why Bush Sr. did such a great job with Desert Storm - he picked a great General to lead the invasion - and stayed out of the way.
I don't know if you ever saw the Iraqi- killing fields on the road to Baghdad? Just wow.
We waited for the Iraqi military to gather together and made them think we were going to allow them to escape...and then literally wiped out 1000's of them in a matter of minutes.
Bush Jr. allowed the Iraqis to escape to Baghdad and disperse. Which is why WE ARE STILL THERE.

Yes the highway of death, I saw pictures about it and read about it, thats interesting you mentioned that because now if there was a caravan of Taliban or Iraqis fleeing and we had a chance to take out a whole bunch of them like we did on the highway of death, I honesly think we would not do it, we have gotten soft since the Gulf War and it shows in Afghanistan.

Yes the highway of death, I saw pictures about it and read about it, thats interesting you mentioned that because now if there was a caravan of Taliban or Iraqis fleeing and we had a chance to take out a whole bunch of them like we did on the highway of death, I honesly think we would not do it, we have gotten soft since the Gulf War and it shows in Afghanistan.

HG, as I recall the original "highway of death" caused enough of a stir. I can still vividly recall an early on-scene interview between a network reporter and an army Special Forces CAPT. (some of our SF teams had been in Kuwait for weeks before the ground offensive, working with the Kuwaiti resistance, and had seen Iraqi atrocities there). The reporter, clearly appalled at the carnage, and seemingly wanting to gin up some sympathy for the "poor Iraqi troops victimized by American overkill", asked this officer, "Captain, don't you feel sorry for these Iraqi soldiers caught in this?"

I loved the reply. "No sir, I do not. These people in this convoy were the worst of the worst. They came down here to murder, rape, loot and torture. They took all the plunder they could carry with them when they left (Kuwait City). They got exactly what they deserved; so, no sir, I do not feel the least bit sorry for any of them!"

Whether that was good PR, I don't know, but it sure did shut up that "journalist", because he clearly could not think of anything to say in response.

The only better put-down to a noxious reporter I head during that time, was GEN Schwartzkopf's reply to the reporter who asked if the Iraqi minefields "were less intense than expected". Stormin' Norman asked the fool, "Have you ever been in a minefield?", and when the answer was "No", his response was, "Well, I have, and if there's even ONE mine in there, and you don't know where it is, that's intense!"

I guess officers aren't allowed to talk to reporters that way anymore; a pity, because I found those two exchanges quite refreshingly honest!

HG, as I recall the original "highway of death" caused enough of a stir. I can still vividly recall an early on-scene interview between a network reporter and an army Special Forces CAPT. (some of our SF teams had been in Kuwait for weeks before the ground offensive, working with the Kuwaiti resistance, and had seen Iraqi atrocities there). The reporter, clearly appalled at the carnage, and seemingly wanting to gin up some sympathy for the "poor Iraqi troops victimized by American overkill", asked this officer, "Captain, don't you feel sorry for these Iraqi soldiers caught in this?"

I loved the reply. "No sir, I do not. These people in this convoy were the worst of the worst. They came down here to murder, rape, loot and torture. They took all the plunder they could carry with them when they left (Kuwait City). They got exactly what they deserved; so, no sir, I do not feel the least bit sorry for any of them!"

Whether that was good PR, I don't know, but it sure did shut up that "journalist", because he clearly could not think of anything to say in response.

The only better put-down to a noxious reporter I head during that time, was GEN Schwartzkopf's reply to the reporter who asked if the Iraqi minefields "were less intense than expected". Stormin' Norman asked the fool, "Have you ever been in a minefield?", and when the answer was "No", his response was, "Well, I have, and if there's even ONE mine in there, and you don't know where it is, that's intense!"

I guess officers aren't allowed to talk to reporters that way anymore; a pity, because I found those two exchanges quite refreshingly honest!

Nah I don't think officers are allowed to talk that way, if anyone said some shit like that now in Afghanistan they would be disciplined and forcibly retired. We are fuckin soft.

Forum List

Back