There Are Only....

Joz said:
Scrooges! You're all scrooges.

(I haven't even put up a tree the last three years.)

we didn't when we first go married in 02. we were hardly home and we always visited another relative's for dinner. no one really ever came to our apartment, just because it wasn't big enough to host any real type of gathering. there was really no point.

we did put one up for 03, and since we have a house with a nice 12' wide bow window bordered with honey-stained oak, a tree looks magnificent in front of it. my husband is already mapping out his next light display...sigh

Joz said:
Been there, done that.
Remember that book you mentioned?

Working on this. Husband is the main problem. He LOOOOOVES to spend! He agreed that we are only buying for the kids, our parents, teachers, and each other this year. He has also toned it down from: we go to my family for 2 hours on Eve, then the rest of the evening with his extended family, wake up Cmas morning, open with the kids, then rush to his mom's, then his parents come visit in the evening Cmas Day. Do you see where a little resentment might find its way into my heart? Raw deal for my side of the family. But he has agreed to go to my family ALL of Cmas Eve, his family in our own sweet time on Cmas Day. It has been getting better. I guess I am just conditioned to feel physically ill about it from the past decade of strife.

mom4 said:
Working on this....... It has been getting better. I guess I am just conditioned to feel physically ill about it from the past decade of strife.
The first year I was married, I was sitting in my mom in law's living room at 9am Christmas morning! I barely had my eyes open and was NOT in a festive mood. I bent over backwards for everyone for many, MANY years. I had children of my own....that didn't matter.
It gets you NO WHERE! YOU choose how you will spend your holidays. They'll either come see you, wait, get pissed. If they want to be childish, let them. At least you'll have your sanity.

Joz said:
The first year I was married, I was sitting in my mom in law's living room at 9am Christmas morning! I barely had my eyes open and was NOT in a festive mood. I bent over backwards for everyone for many, MANY years. I had children of my own....that didn't matter.
It gets you NO WHERE! YOU choose how you will spend your holidays. They'll either come see you, wait, get pissed. If they want to be childish, let them. At least you'll have your sanity.
assuming you had it in the first place :clap1:

Joz said:

I've come to this same conclusion. We had 32 people to buy for, and I'm not talking $5 gifts. It was $30 to $50!!! Insanity!!! I have been labeled in his family as "tight." Oh well. I just don't have enough emotion left to care. I know there will be a new flow of bad feelings when his sisters find out we are not going to be in the gift exchange this year. Oh well. See how hard-hearted I've become? :dunno:

mom4 said:
I've come to this same conclusion. We had 32 people to buy for, and I'm not talking $5 gifts. It was $30 to $50!!! Insanity!!! I have been labeled in his family as "tight." Oh well. I just don't have enough emotion left to care. I know there will be a new flow of bad feelings when his sisters find out we are not going to be in the gift exchange this year. Oh well. See how hard-hearted I've become? :dunno:

When this happened to us I simply bought what I could afford, anybody seen the relationship thread? Sometimes love is taking what others can give....

mom4 said:
na your getting smart----I say--SHRINK CHRISTMAS

One of these years I am going to go to Christmas Eve Mass again. Anyone remember Jesus? But who has time for Him at Christmas? Darn! I have really become cynical about this. Maybe I'll see a counselor!

mom4 said:
One of these years I am going to go to Christmas Eve Mass again. Anyone remember Jesus? But who has time for Him at Christmas? Darn! I have really become cynical about this. Maybe I'll see a counselor!

I have it easy as a Buddhist... Decorating is only as far as I want to take it, the food is whatever I feel like attempting that year, gifts are as odd as I want to make them.... To us this is a social holiday!

:D

dilloduck said:
na your getting smart----I say--SHRINK CHRISTMAS
I wrote a letter. It said that along with trimming my Christmas tree, I was trimming my Christmas list. I wished each of them a very happy holiday. This was to whomever I didn't want to have to buy for/make for. Works like a charm.

Joz said:
I wrote a letter. It said that along with trimming my Christmas tree, I was trimming my Christmas list. I wished each of them a very happy holiday. This was to whomever I didn't want to have to buy for/make for. Works like a charm.

Cute idea!

Forum List

Back