Theodore Roosevelt's Remarks on Being an American

The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic.

This is exactly what happened.

In your sad little world, perhaps. *shrug*

I happen to agree. The change to reminding Americans they all came from some where else and creating the xxxxx-american was and is the worst thing this country EVER did. It works against creating harmony, it works against creating togetherness and a feeling of belonging to THIS Nation. It will continue to be a problem until someone stands up and says ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

I happen to agree. The change to reminding Americans they all came from some where else and creating the xxxxx-american was and is the worst thing this country EVER did. It works against creating harmony, it works against creating togetherness and a feeling of belonging to THIS Nation. It will continue to be a problem until someone stands up and says ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

Here's the thing. I never refer to myself as a hyphenate. I don't refer to anyone else as a hyphenate and neither do the people I know. I think activists tend to do that and they do it for their own purposes.

But we also know what WJ stands for and what his agenda is. And that's what I was responding to. I think his brand of racial hatred is pathetic and it isn't anything that I come into contact with on any level in real life.

Here's the thing. I never refer to myself as a hyphenate. I don't refer to anyone else as a hyphenate and neither do the people I know. I think activists tend to do that and they do it for their own purposes.

But we also know what WJ stands for and what his agenda is. And that's what I was responding to. I think his brand of racial hatred is pathetic and it isn't anything that I come into contact with on any level in real life.

Starting in the 70's there was and continues to be a concerted effort to REMIND us all we are from some where else. It is devisive and dangerous. It has nothing to do with white supremists, it was and is a concerted effort by main stream political groups. Aided and abetted by Travel agencies in the hopes of attracting those divergent groups to travel "home" using said travel agencies.

Starting in the 70's there was and continues to be a concerted effort to REMIND us all we are from some where else. It is devisive and dangerous. It has nothing to do with white supremists, it was and is a concerted effort by main stream political groups. Aided and abetted by Travel agencies in the hopes of attracting those divergent groups to travel "home" using said travel agencies.

But WJ's point had everything to do with racial separatism. And you know that, too.

The quote he cited is NOT about preventing people from coming to America, it ia about ensuring those that come learn they are Americans NOT XXX- Americans.

You're just being contrary. But assume you're right... how does he put together his views that the races should be separate with him moaning that we all don't live together nice and homogeneously?

When did this happen? I have not heard of people calling themselves German-Americans, French-Americans, Irish-Americans, etc. But I do see the problem Roosevelt warned about occurring in America today, with the Latinos, Muslims, etc. not being interested in integrating into the American culture. Is that what you had in mind?

I certainly hope that our elected reps have some idea of the major problems that will be created if they permit this problem to remain unchallenged.

The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic.

And which one would you be? "Each preserving its separate nationality," or attempting to seems ot fit you to a "t".

In your sad little world, perhaps. *shrug*

Actually the statement has merit, agree with the principle or not. Our nation is quite separated by race/ethinicity, current culture, gender, and the most divisive of all, partisan politics, each of which many place ahead of being "American."

And why not keep us divided and squabbling amongst ourselves while the bureaucrats perpetuate their bureacracy and enrich themselves? Works like a charm.;)

When did this happen? I have not heard of people calling themselves German-Americans, French-Americans, Irish-Americans, etc. But I do see the problem Roosevelt warned about occurring in America today, with the Latinos, Muslims, etc. not being interested in integrating into the American culture. Is that what you had in mind?

I certainly hope that our elected reps have some idea of the major problems that will be created if they permit this problem to remain unchallenged.

Really? You don't see pockets of nationalized ethnic groups in America BESIDES LATINOS AND MUSLIMS? hehehe... ooook. I guess we know which ethnicities are still OK to crap on.

There is no common American. The Constitution does NOT describe what makes someone an American. WHY? Because even then there was a broad range of culture in America which qualified as American. Quakers? Puritans? Southern? Northern? How many colonial demographics were as impure then as ours are now? I do not agree with the tripe that is Caucasian Supremacy which TR subscribed to and I certainly am not threatened by hyphenated Americans whose loyalty remains with America. These days we may not TRUST latinos and Muslims to put America before their other aliegences and common denominators but the same was said about the Germans, French and everyone else at some point during the course of our national history.

It's exactly the diversity which the Constitution now protects that is one of America's greatest virtues.

Really? You don't see pockets of nationalized ethnic groups in America BESIDES LATINOS AND MUSLIMS? hehehe... ooook. I guess we know which ethnicities are still OK to crap on.

There is no common American. The Constitution does NOT describe what makes someone an American. WHY? Because even then there was a broad range of culture in America which qualified as American. Quakers? Puritans? Southern? Northern? How many colonial demographics were as impure then as ours are now? I do not agree with the tripe that is Caucasian Supremacy which TR subscribed to and I certainly am not threatened by hyphenated Americans whose loyalty remains with America. These days we may not TRUST latinos and Muslims to put America before their other aliegences and common denominators but the same was said about the Germans, French and everyone else at some point during the course of our national history.

It's exactly the diversity which the Constitution now protects that is one of America's greatest virtues.

Believe what you will sir, this country continues to be torn apart by those that don't want to be American. But, look to be African American, Mexican American, put any tag you want on it, but its just another way to divide and remove what use to be the heart, and the glue, that made America what it once was.

Diversity is a word for those that wish to divide.

Diversity is a word, AND an action, that puts barricades between ethnic groups, that would otherwise live in harmony.

Congratulations............:eusa_hand:

Believe what you will sir, this country continues to be torn apart by those that don't want to be American. But, look to be African American, Mexican American, put any tag you want on it, but its just another way to divide and remove what use to be the heart, and the glue, that made America what it once was.

Diversity is a word, AND an action, that puts barricades between ethnic groups, that would otherwise live in harmony.

Yup, diversity is perversity.

Multiculturalism is not about culture.

It's about Leftists who want to create their grand "utopian" society and control the world through "human rights" (defined by ?) and "international law" (created by ?).

Multiculturalism is a massive experiment in social engineering. It's a danger much like Communism.

Stop with the politically correctness stuff. I’m not buying any of it. Are you denying that the U.S. has an immigration problem today? That we have ethnic groups living in our country, taking advantage of all the rights/privileges/opportunities, but who have no interest in becoming Americans, who prefer to speak a language other than English, and have no hesitance at all to flying another country’s flag in their protest marches?

A country is made up of citizens who pledge their allegiance to that country, respect the flag, and make every effort to assimilate into that country’s culture, including learning and speaking the language. Why do you think we have a Pledge of Allegiance? Or do you scoff at that too?

There is no common American. The Constitution does NOT describe what makes someone an American.

Of course the Constitution does not define what makes someone an American. That is not its purpose. The Constitution defines the system of government under which we live.

How retarded. Are you familiar at all with the demographics of colonial America? At all? There was not uniform Common culture among the original states. People came here, IN FACT, to get away from people like you.

Being American isn't about mimicking your personal daily habits. the Constitution doesn't declare a specific range of acceptable cultural observations in order to qualify for its protection. What you REALLY mean to say is that these other ethnic groups are not as apple pie white as you want them to be. Again, it is fortunate that the strength of America lies in it's even application of protected liberty DESPITE your opinion regarding the homogenization of our culture.

Your Archie Bunker days are over, dude. Get used to it.

:eusa_dance:

Stop with the politically correctness stuff. I’m not buying any of it. Are you denying that the U.S. has an immigration problem today? That we have ethnic groups living in our country, taking advantage of all the rights/privileges/opportunities, but who have no interest in becoming Americans, who prefer to speak a language other than English, and have no hesitance at all to flying another country’s flag in their protest marches?

A country is made up of citizens who pledge their allegiance to that country, respect the flag, and make every effort to assimilate into that country’s culture, including learning and speaking the language. Why do you think we have a Pledge of Allegiance? Or do you scoff at that too?

Of course the Constitution does not define what makes someone an American. That is not its purpose. The Constitution defines the system of government under which we live.

Yea I'm STAGGERED by the crazy unamerican shenanigans every St. Patricks day when all the Irish-Americans BRAZENLY flaunt their dedication to Ireland. Indeed, every pasta resteraunt I eat at with an Italian American slinging noodles sens me into a McCarthy-like frenzy to hunt down the unloyal Italian dissidents. Gosh.. Don't EVEN get me started on those goddamn Asian-Americans whose kung fu movies are clearly indoctrination into Buddhism. Don't they know that they should have a goddamn JESUS statue taking bananna offerings at the Chinese resteraunts? AFRICAN-Americans? Yea, THEY really had a choice in the matter. Mexican-Americans? Ever see a Zorro episode? Why do you think San Fransisco wasn't named Saint Francis? Hell, most locations in the Southwest ARE the original product of some variation of latino culture.

ALL of that is as American as it gets. The truth is, there have always been a range of American experience. Your ancestors probably said the same things about mics and whopps that you do about latinos and muslims. Sure, I agree on a closed border and the problems that illegal immigration entails... But, I bet you don't look similarly critical of Hyphenated americans who support a particular mid eastern nation of chosen people quite like you do when a Latino waves a mexican flag, eh? Indeed, lecture me on PC some more.

How retarded.

That remark brings alot to the conversation, good start!:eusa_whistle:

Are you familiar at all with the demographics of colonial America? At all? There was not uniform Common culture among the original states.

I suppose your trying to make some kind of left handed statement of fact, but it escapes me.

People came here, IN FACT, to get away from people like you.

What kind of person do you think I am? And you know this how?

Being American isn't about mimicking your personal daily habits. the Constitution doesn't declare a specific range of acceptable cultural observations in order to qualify for its protection.

The constitution doesn't have anything to do with being American.

What you REALLY mean to say is that these other ethnic groups are not as apple pie white as you want them to be. Again, it is fortunate that the strength of America lies in it's even application of protected liberty DESPITE your opinion regarding the homogenization of our culture.

Don't presume to tell me what I mean.:eusa_hand:

If you have reading comprehension issues, well sir, that's your problem not mine.

America has MANY strength's, and yes, the even application of protected liberty's to ALL ethnic groups is but one. Another is that those wishing to be citizens are willing, and are REQUIRED by Federal law, to swear allegiance to this nation. No different than most all other nation's.

Your Archie Bunker days are over, dude. Get used to it.

:eusa_dance:

Archie Bunker was a fool sir. The only one playing the fool is YOU.:eusa_think:

Yea I'm STAGGERED by the crazy unamerican shenanigans every St. Patricks day when all the Irish-Americans BRAZENLY flaunt their dedication to Ireland. Indeed, every pasta resteraunt I eat at with an Italian American slinging noodles sens me into a McCarthy-like frenzy to hunt down the unloyal Italian dissidents. Gosh.. Don't EVEN get me started on those goddamn Asian-Americans whose kung fu movies are clearly indoctrination into Buddhism. Don't they know that they should have a goddamn JESUS statue taking bananna offerings at the Chinese resteraunts? AFRICAN-Americans? Yea, THEY really had a choice in the matter. Mexican-Americans? Ever see a Zorro episode? Why do you think San Fransisco wasn't named Saint Francis? Hell, most locations in the Southwest ARE the original product of some variation of latino culture.

ALL of that is as American as it gets. The truth is, there have always been a range of American experience. Your ancestors probably said the same things about mics and whopps that you do about latinos and muslims. Sure, I agree on a closed border and the problems that illegal immigration entails... But, I bet you don't look similarly critical of Hyphenated americans who support a particular mid eastern nation of chosen people quite like you do when a Latino waves a mexican flag, eh? Indeed, lecture me on PC some more.

Sure, glad to oblige.:D

You are missing the point. Like you say there is nothing wrong with recognizing one's background in America. Parades are fun and there's nothing like a good Italian dinner. However, we are essentially a "melting pot" and thus Americans first and foremost. Not American Mexicans who still have loyalty to Mexico or Muslims who still put sharia law above American law. When one puts one's ethnic background equal to or superior to American culture (or any country's culture) - that is when problems are created. That of course is the goal of the pushers of "multiculturalism" - they are attempting to destroy American culture or the culture of any country for that matter.

You see it when Leftists allow immigrants to not learn English in our country and you start pressing one for English. You see it when Leftists expect us to put up with someone's old country customs which are in direct conflict with American customs and laws - such as Muslims forcing their women to wear burkas and beating them.

Multiculturalism is about "celebrating" our differences but at the same time it is politically incorrect or even racist to say that there are any "real" differences between groups. This is totally illogical. Yet that illogical thinking is exactly what Leftists are pushing....in order to further their ends by breaking down American culture.

Multiculturalism or "diversity" is also consistent with the Marxist ideal that culture is of no real importance to society. To marxists culture has no real importance and is certainly secondary to the economic man. Even religions are of no real importance. This is Marxist materialism and this idea is being promulgated everywhere in the Western world today. You can see this multiculturalism political correctness really getting out of hand over in Europe.

Take for example a British 14 yr. old schoolgirl who was arrested on suspicion of committing a racial offense after refusing to sit with a group of South Asian students because some of them did not speak English. She was taken to the police station, had her fingerprints taken and was thrown into a cell before being released.

This is the same place where a a ten-year-old boy was hauled before a court for allegedly calling an 11-year-old mixed race pupil a 'Paki' and 'Bin Laden' in a playground argument at a primary school in Irlam.

Talk about propaganda PC in the schools….hell, they have already become "re-education camps" in some places.

This is insane multiculturalism and "diversity" PC gone mad. But these things are happening because Lefists are pushing to scare the populace and make them conform to the idea of multiculturalism and "political correctness" and ultimately Marxist ideals. This is all part of the quiet revolution they are waging to create an international new world order where there are no recognized borders or cultural differences.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=410150&in_page_id=1770

Forum List

Back