Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Seriously:

FT.com / US / Economy & Fed - Soros to invest $50m in economic think-tank

Soros to invest $50m in economic think-tank
By Alan Rappeport in New York
Published: October 27 2009 14:20 | Last updated: October 27 2009 14:20
George Soros, the fund manager, has pledged $50m to back a new think-tank with the mission of reconceiving the field of economics, which he describes as “a dogma whose time has passed”.

The group, to be called the Institute of New Economic Thinking, will gather luminaries in the field of economics to reflect on the ideas that allowed the latest economic crisis to transpire and to bring new ideas to a profession that some argue has become too deeply entrenched in free-market ideology.

The group’s advisory board will be studded with economists such as Jeffrey Sachs, George Akerlof, Kenneth Rogoff and Joseph Stiglitz as well as public commentators such as Anatole Kaletsky and John Kay, a Financial Times columnist. Mr Soros is pledging $5m a year for 10 years....

Maybe Soros should re-invent mathematics instead. This way Obama could prove that his massive deficit is actually a surplus. Down is up. Bad is good. Poor is rich.

Maybe Soros should re-invent mathematics instead. This way Obama could prove that his massive deficit is actually a surplus. Down is up. Bad is good. Poor is rich.

That would mean Obama has to take responsibility for it.

He's too busy mopping up someone else's mess and getting told how to hold the mop.

As if he would ever use a mop in the first place. Too many servants around for him to do it himself.

Which is pretty much the way his Administration works. He gives the speeches, acts like he's Mr Perfect and everyone around him does the dirty work.

Last edited:
GREAT thread title (sarcasm). seriously

one of not so many hungarian jews who avoided them coming for him.

i am sick of this niemöller quote abuse.

Too bad, won't be going away anytime soon. :lol:

Heard he's been to the White House several times since Mr. Perfect became POTUS.

Sorry, but that just offends my sense of right and wrong to the core.

Seriously:

FT.com / US / Economy & Fed - Soros to invest $50m in economic think-tank

Soros to invest $50m in economic think-tank
By Alan Rappeport in New York
Published: October 27 2009 14:20 | Last updated: October 27 2009 14:20
George Soros, the fund manager, has pledged $50m to back a new think-tank with the mission of reconceiving the field of economics, which he describes as “a dogma whose time has passed”.

The group, to be called the Institute of New Economic Thinking, will gather luminaries in the field of economics to reflect on the ideas that allowed the latest economic crisis to transpire and to bring new ideas to a profession that some argue has become too deeply entrenched in free-market ideology.

The group’s advisory board will be studded with economists such as Jeffrey Sachs, George Akerlof, Kenneth Rogoff and Joseph Stiglitz as well as public commentators such as Anatole Kaletsky and John Kay, a Financial Times columnist. Mr Soros is pledging $5m a year for 10 years....

In my humble opinion there are two big picture problems..... POWER & PRECEDENT

> Specific individuals notwithstanding, in general 'power' will NEVER not be abused. Therefore it should be spread as widely as possible - Free the States!​

> 'Precedent' in law and in economics should be used with caution..... a great idea is not guaranteed to always be a great idea. Times and technology change, the way we do things should be more flexible to change with them.​

Last edited:

you or the quote abuse?

i don't think my complaint will lead to a better understanding of this quote and wiser use of it. but i will nevertheless voice my disgust.

you or the quote abuse?

i don't think my complaint will lead to a better understanding of this quote and wiser use of it. but i will nevertheless voice my disgust.

Either. And you do have the right to do so, as long as it's not defaming religions or anything else like that. ;)

you or the quote abuse?

Either. And you do have the right to do so, as long as it's not defaming religions or anything else like that. ;)

i will defame religions if i want to. free speech and shit.

oops, i have blocked the corny winking emoticon.

you or the quote abuse?

i will defame religions if i want to. free speech and shit.

oops, i have blocked the corny winking emoticon.

We'll see about that free speech and shit. The winks will NOT be blocked! ;)

He's too busy mopping up someone else's mess and getting told how to hold the mop.

As if he would ever use a mop in the first place. Too many servants around for him to do it himself.

Which is pretty much the way his Administration works. He gives the speeches, acts like he's Mr Perfect and everyone around him does the dirty work.

Obama is fucking up his opportunity I agree, but I disagree on how.

The way I see it, he came in to office under the promise of leadership toward transparency and efficiency and he has failed, thus far at least, to lead congress away from the cesspool of corruption marked 'Washington D.C.' on most modern maps.

The lobbyists are still writing our laws and are currently snarling for ownership of congress.

Obama either fears the fight or has sold out. I truly hope it's the former and he makes a decision, in the privacy of his own heart, to grow a pair.

Last edited:

He's completely RIGHT ya' know.

Economics, as fascinated as I am by the nuts and bolts of it, is basically a flawed social science.

At least one of its basic premises is terribly flawed, for example

The premise that people will do what is best for them

People don't do that because they canot understand what is best for them in many cases.

And they generally don't screw up because they're lazy or stupid, but because they cannot KNOW what is best for them given the world that we live in.

We are exposed to so much bleeding propaganda, not only in the news and talk shows, but in the entertainment and advertising we're exposed to, that most people are damned fools.

People, people who have made all the right decisios (according to what they've been told, at last) find themselves screwed in this system.

Who wins most of the time?

Liars hypocrites and gangsters.

Last edited:

Economics, as fascinated as I am by the uts ad bolts of it, is basically a flawed social science.

Oe of its basic premises is terribly flawed.

The premise that people will do what is best for them, for example.

People don't do that because they canot understand what is best for them in may cases.

And they generally do't screw up because they're lazy or stupid, but because they cannot KNOW what is best for them given the world that we live in.

We are exposed to so much bleeding propaganda, not only i the news and alk shows, but in the entertainment and advertising we're exposed to, that most people are damned fools.

People, people who have made all the right decisios (according to what they've bee told, at last) find themselves screwed in this system.

Who would have thought you'd agree with Soros? :cool:

Obama is fucking up his opportunity, I agree but I disagree on how.

The way I see it, he came in to office under the promise of leadership toward transparency and efficiency and he has failed, thus far at least, to lead congress away from the cesspool of corruption marked 'Washington D.C.' on most modern maps.

The lobbyists are still writing our laws and are currently snarling for ownership of congress.

Obama either fears the fight or has sold out. I truly hope it is the former and he makes a decision in the privacy of his own heart to grow a pair.

Get real.

Coming from Chicago politics Obama is raising the bar (or lowering it) when it comes to corruption.

He has introduced an new level of graft, bribery, and intimidation to Washington.

Last edited:

Economics, as fascinated as I am by the nuts and bolts of it, is basically a flawed social science.

At least one of its basic premises is terribly flawed, for example

The premise that people will do what is best for them

People don't do that because they canot understand what is best for them in many cases.

And they generally don't screw up because they're lazy or stupid, but because they cannot KNOW what is best for them given the world that we live in.

We are exposed to so much bleeding propaganda, not only in the news and talk shows, but in the entertainment and advertising we're exposed to, that most people are damned fools.

People, people who have made all the right decisios (according to what they've been told, at last) find themselves screwed in this system.

An Economist falls into a well......

How does he get out?​

He "assumes" a ladder, of course! :lol:

Forum List

Back