Thems Fightin' Words.

Superlative

Mar 13, 2007
Vice President Dick Cheney used the setting of an aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf to deliver a stern message to Iran today, warning that the United States would not allow Iran to obtain nuclear weapons or gain the upper hand in the Middle East.

“With two carrier strike groups in the Gulf, we’re sending clear messages to friends and adversaries alike,” he said, in a speech on board the U.S.S. John C. Stennis, according to a pool report provided by journalists traveling with Mr. Cheney.

“We’ll stand with others to prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons and dominating the region,” he said.

The aircraft carrier was about 20 miles off the coast of Abu Dhabi, one of the United Arab Emirates, according to the pool report. Mr. Cheney traveled to the Emirates following a two-day visit to Iraq, and will be making other stops in the Middle East on his week-long trip.

Mr. Cheney’s message seemed particularly pointed because, according to the pool report and the Associated Press, the president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, is scheduled to visit Abu Dhabi himself in the next few days.

Mr. Cheney said today that the United States was determined, in the event of any crises in the region, to keep the sea lanes of the Gulf open, the Associated Press reported.

His speech to American service members on board the carrier also seemed intended to reassure them that a strong American presence would be maintained in the region for some time.

“I want you to know that the American people do not support a policy of retreat,” Mr. Cheney said. “We want to complete the mission, get it done right, and return with honor.”

On Thursday in Iraq, Mr. Cheney spoke to American troops stationed near Saddam Hussein’s birthplace, Tikrit, telling them in somber tones that they still had a tough fight ahead of them.

His assessment stood in stark contrast to the one he made two years ago, when he declared in an interview with CNN that the insurgency in Iraq was in its “last throes.”

The United States remains at odds with Iran over its nuclear program, which it says is peaceful, but which America and its Western allies say is intended to build weapons.

The Bush administration has also expressed concerns about Iranian involvement in Iraq; officials have said that weapons are being smuggled into Iraq from Iran and that the insurgents who assemble and placing bombs in Iraq may be getting training in Iran. The Iranian government denies sponsoring or encouraging terrorism........

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/11/world/middleeast/11cnd-cheney.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Soooo, who is the dominating factor here, SuperL?

Vice President Dick Cheney used the setting of an aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf to deliver a stern message to Iran today, warning that the United States would not allow Iran to obtain nuclear weapons or gain the upper hand in the Middle East.

“With two carrier strike groups in the Gulf, we’re sending clear messages to friends and adversaries alike,” he said, in a speech on board the U.S.S. John C. Stennis, according to a pool report provided by journalists traveling with Mr. Cheney.

“We’ll stand with others to prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons and dominating the region,” he said.

The aircraft carrier was about 20 miles off the coast of Abu Dhabi, one of the United Arab Emirates, according to the pool report. Mr. Cheney traveled to the Emirates following a two-day visit to Iraq, and will be making other stops in the Middle East on his week-long trip.

Mr. Cheney’s message seemed particularly pointed because, according to the pool report and the Associated Press, the president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, is scheduled to visit Abu Dhabi himself in the next few days.

Mr. Cheney said today that the United States was determined, in the event of any crises in the region, to keep the sea lanes of the Gulf open, the Associated Press reported.

His speech to American service members on board the carrier also seemed intended to reassure them that a strong American presence would be maintained in the region for some time.

“I want you to know that the American people do not support a policy of retreat,” Mr. Cheney said. “We want to complete the mission, get it done right, and return with honor.”

On Thursday in Iraq, Mr. Cheney spoke to American troops stationed near Saddam Hussein’s birthplace, Tikrit, telling them in somber tones that they still had a tough fight ahead of them.

His assessment stood in stark contrast to the one he made two years ago, when he declared in an interview with CNN that the insurgency in Iraq was in its “last throes.”

The United States remains at odds with Iran over its nuclear program, which it says is peaceful, but which America and its Western allies say is intended to build weapons.

The Bush administration has also expressed concerns about Iranian involvement in Iraq; officials have said that weapons are being smuggled into Iraq from Iran and that the insurgents who assemble and placing bombs in Iraq may be getting training in Iran. The Iranian government denies sponsoring or encouraging terrorism........

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/11/world/middleeast/11cnd-cheney.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Who is getting bigger than their britches?

Two carrier battle-groups in the Persian Gulf is like having two great white sharks in your back yard swimming pool. They're still big and dangerous, but they got nowhere to move...couple of head shots from a Saturday-night special and they're done. I know, I've been there... The Strait of Hormuz, which has Iran as its northern shore, is the choke-point through which those battle groups must pass, and the Gulf itself limits the mobility needed by the carriers to launch their air-wings. (The bow needs to be into the wind). Not the best tactical planning...having not one, but TWO carrier battle groups in the Gulf. But since when has the Bush administration shown any military tactical or strategic competence.

Ya, of course Bush ordered them there and his Admirals all cow tow to him...

As for the battle groups, wanna bet they aren't actually IN or don't remain IN the gulf? And in a war they sure as hell don't need to launch from the Gulf to hit Iran.

Exactly.

Two carrier battle-groups in the Persian Gulf is like having two great white sharks in your back yard swimming pool. They're still big and dangerous, but they got nowhere to move...couple of head shots from a Saturday-night special and they're done. I know, I've been there... The Strait of Hormuz, which has Iran as its northern shore, is the choke-point through which those battle groups must pass, and the Gulf itself limits the mobility needed by the carriers to launch their air-wings. (The bow needs to be into the wind). Not the best tactical planning...having not one, but TWO carrier battle groups in the Gulf. But since when has the Bush administration shown any military tactical or strategic competence.

Since when has the gwb demonstrated any competence on any subject whatsoever other than making their own fortunes larger and screwing the hell out of the American peoples?

Typical baseless anti Bush junk from Bully and Psycho. Do you think that the Navy would actually put US carriers were they could not maneuver? According to the Navy, both the Nimitz and the Stennis are in the North Arabia Sea, not in the Persian Gulf. http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=146 You do know the difference between the Arabian Sea and the Persian Gulf, right? Should I get you a map?

I don't need a map. Do you, Bully?

Typical baseless anti Bush junk from Bully and Psycho. Do you think that the Navy would actually put US carriers were they could not maneuver? According to the Navy, both the Nimitz and the Stennis are in the North Arabia Sea, not in the Persian Gulf. http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=146 You do know the difference between the Arabian Sea and the Persian Gulf, right? Should I get you a map?

This was my question. "Since when has the gwb demonstrated any competence on any subject whatsoever other than making their own fortunes larger and screwing the hell out of the American peoples?"

What's the prob, zero?

and the lefts solution?

Let me guess - more appeasement?

You know as well as I do those posts only give a general location as the exact location is classified. But regardless of their actual position, my assertion still stands...The Bush administration has yet to show ANY competence in the realm of military tactics or strategy, despite their claims of "listening to the commanders" which they don't.

You know as well as I do those posts only give a general location as the exact location is classified. But regardless of their actual position, my assertion still stands...The Bush administration has yet to show ANY competence in the realm of military tactics or strategy, despite their claims of "listening to the commanders" which they don't.

and what does the left offer as military tactics and strategy - surrender

Given that EVERYTHING Dick Cheney has said since the invasion of Iraq has been wildly off the mark who gives a flying fuck what he says anymore.

His credibility is zero.

He's a joke!

Given that EVERYTHING Dick Cheney has said since the invasion of Iraq has been wildly off the mark who gives a flying fuck what he says anymore.

His credibility is zero.

He's a joke!

not nearly as funny as the Dems surrender plans

not nearly as funny as the Dems surrender plans

Does anyone even talk to you anymore? Do you even know what apeasement means?

The reason I posted the article, was because I thought Cheney was doing a bit of chest thumping at Iran.

Does anyone even talk to you anymore? Do you even know what apeasement means?

The reason I posted the article, was because I thought Cheney was doing a bit of chest thumping at Iran.

If you look at my rep points - alot of people talk to me and agree with me

I understand what appeasement means - just look at what the left is saying and demanding

Good point, rsr, and I'm glad you made it. The points mean less than Zero. As a self described liberal I can give pos reps and they mean very little if anything at all on this particular board. The ones here that really deserve the neg reps can clean my reputation (points wise) in one swoop.

I understand what appeasement means - just look at what the left is saying and demanding

I think you would suck a cock for less than a nickle's worth of cocaine, rsr, so your points are less than Zero pos or neg to me.

Does this satisfy the argument?

You would think that after " Peace in our Time" , " You will accept Communist Chinese in your Government or else" , Korea, Cuba, Eastern Europe, Vietnam, Kuwait, 12 years of non enforcement of cease fire agreements, that someone would actually use history to see what appeasement accomplishes.

They dont agree with you.

You have never actaully said anything.

They agree with the Op-Eds that you post.

You should e-mail and thank everyone of the people you plagiarized to get those points.

They dont agree with you.

You have never actaully said anything.

They agree with the Op-Eds that you post.

You should e-mail and thank everyone of the people you plagiarized to get those points.

While I truly wish RSR added more of his pov, plagarism isn't a problem, since he always links back to the stuff he's posting.

Just why are you defending this, kitty, when you so often witnessed and even applauded accusations of plagiarism towards me?

While I truly wish RSR added more of his pov, plagirism isn't a problem, since he always links back to the stuff he's posting.

I can't link my own opinions, thoughts or political observations as you totally know I did back in the day but I was constantly accused of plagiarism when I made it clear the thoughts written were of my own and not one of you could produce a single word that could be attributed to plagiarism by me. That is when I became certain that all of you were much less than I had earlier thought of you as being.

But, it's life. Are you enjoying yours?

Forum List

Back