The youth vote is swinging to Paul Ryan

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
Young Americans like Paul Ryan because he’s the first candidate for national office to understand what they are going through and to produce a plan that will help them in the long run.

When Ryan graduated college in 1992, grads faced a similar tough economy with bleak job prospects – the year the Clinton campaign chased former President George H.W. Bush out of office with the mantra “It’s the economy, stupid.”

Kids who graduated college in the 1990s often faced having to get jobs at the mall rather than get that big job they wanted right out of college, not unlike today’s Millennials.

The mantra of Ryan’s generation, aka Gen-X, born between 1965 and 1982, has been “Reality Bites” because they, like Millennials, have had to face the likelihood they will never see a dime of Social Security or Medicare and that they will likely do worse financially than their parents did for the first time in American history.

Ryan’s plan fits right within that generational context.

“Enter Ryan. While Democrats attack his Medicare plan as “radical” and portray him as pushing granny off the cliff, young people don’t seem to be buying this caricature. Or maybe ‘radical’ is what they want,” Daily Beast columnist Kirsten Powers wrote earlier this week.

While the Obama campaign tries to scare Boomers about the Ryan plan, its strategy to preserve Medicare and other Social Security has proven even more popular among Millennials than among members of Ryan’s own generation, according to a 2011 Pew poll. The poll found that 46 percent of those under the age of 30 favored the Ryan plan compared with 38 percent of Gen-Xers.Ryan’s plan wouldn’t affect anyone for another 10 years.

Polling following the Ryan pick found that it helped push Mitt Romney’s standing among younger Americans up to 41 percent and drag President Obama’s rating to 49 percent, according to the liberal PPP group.

“I may be in Generation Y, but my parents are solidly boomers born in the early-mid 1950s, and I really hope that debt and entitlement reforms are a huge sticking point for the youth. I’m a huge fan of Paul Ryan for precisely this reason, I consider entitlement reform my #1 issue.. “The prevalence of Ron Paul’s support within the Gen-Y group makes me think that debt and the size of gov’t is probably a big issue with a lot of us.
Young people love Paul Ryan because he understands them

And here is Paul Ryan explaining debt and what he wants to do with Medicare--not only to protect seniors now--but to save it for future generations.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwv5EbxXSmE]The Path to Prosperity (Episode 1): America's two futures, visualized - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJIC7kEq6kw]The Path to Prosperity (Episode 2): Saving Medicare, Visualized - YouTube[/ame]

So sad too. Lyin Ryan's (or is Rmoney's - I get confused) plan MAY help for the short time he's be in office, but what happens after that just isn't his problem.

Ah well... guess it will be up to us crafty seniors to teach our country's youth one more lesson. Don't mess around with our retirement!

Young Americans like Paul Ryan because he’s the first candidate for national office to understand what they are going through and to produce a plan that will help them in the long run.

When Ryan graduated college in 1992, grads faced a similar tough economy with bleak job prospects – the year the Clinton campaign chased former President George H.W. Bush out of office with the mantra “It’s the economy, stupid.”

Kids who graduated college in the 1990s often faced having to get jobs at the mall rather than get that big job they wanted right out of college, not unlike today’s Millennials.

The mantra of Ryan’s generation, aka Gen-X, born between 1965 and 1982, has been “Reality Bites” because they, like Millennials, have had to face the likelihood they will never see a dime of Social Security or Medicare and that they will likely do worse financially than their parents did for the first time in American history.

“Enter Ryan. While Democrats attack his Medicare plan as “radical” and portray him as pushing granny off the cliff, young people don’t seem to be buying this caricature. Or maybe ‘radical’ is what they want,” Daily Beast columnist Kirsten Powers wrote earlier this week.

While the Obama campaign tries to scare Boomers about the Ryan plan, its strategy to preserve Medicare and other Social Security has proven even more popular among Millennials than among members of Ryan’s own generation, according to a 2011 Pew poll. The poll found that 46 percent of those under the age of 30 favored the Ryan plan compared with 38 percent of Gen-Xers.Ryan’s plan wouldn’t affect anyone for another 10 years.

Polling following the Ryan pick found that it helped push Mitt Romney’s standing among younger Americans up to 41 percent and drag President Obama’s rating to 49 percent, according to the liberal PPP group.

“I may be in Generation Y, but my parents are solidly boomers born in the early-mid 1950s, and I really hope that debt and entitlement reforms are a huge sticking point for the youth. I’m a huge fan of Paul Ryan for precisely this reason, I consider entitlement reform my #1 issue.. “The prevalence of Ron Paul’s support within the Gen-Y group makes me think that debt and the size of gov’t is probably a big issue with a lot of us.

And here is Paul Ryan explaining debt and what he wants to do with Medicare--not only to protect seniors now--but to save it for future generations.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwv5EbxXSmE]The Path to Prosperity (Episode 1): America's two futures, visualized - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJIC7kEq6kw]The Path to Prosperity (Episode 2): Saving Medicare, Visualized - YouTube[/ame]

They will fall out of love when they better understand Paul Ryan.

The Reagan/Aryan youth swing is troubling indeed.

Young people voting for Paul Ryan is kinda like strolling down to the hood, giving your house keys to the thugs, and telling them your address before leaving. Just asking for it down the road.

The Reagan/Aryan youth swing is troubling indeed.

To a liberal it should be:

1980-electoral-map.gif

Carter/Reagan election results 1980

A lot of country club rich kids have been brainwashed into this nonsense. They know a few things: Support the troops, er, at least say you do. Cut taxes. Make profits.

It all ends around there.

Yeah, the white, rich youth if there really was any youth swinging his way.

Always trying to divide people by wealth and race.

Black youth are not for Paul Ryan, fuck your dumb ad-hominem argument, I was just on leave in Philadelphia and also went to D.C. and Baltimore, I saw no black youth swinging Paul Ryan's way, Repugs, so out of touch with reality and think they are in touch.

So sad too. Lyin Ryan's (or is Rmoney's - I get confused) plan MAY help for the short time he's be in office, but what happens after that just isn't his problem.

Ah well... guess it will be up to us crafty seniors to teach our country's youth one more lesson. Don't mess around with our retirement!

Anyone who thinks Ryan's plan is a good one is on a ship sailing toward the abyss. There is a simple fix to Medicare, and that is to raise the age at which one can collect benefits. For those who are younger, it should be 70 or 71. People will have to fund their healthcare through work or privately for a longer period of time, but when they do retire at 70 or 71, then it will be there for them. The problem with both SS and Medicare is that benefits are being paid out for too long because people are living much longer than they used to. So the simple answer is to cut the duration of retirement by upping the retirement age. The second choice is to start killing seniors when they reach a certain age, which in an indirect way is what will happen if Medicare gets turned into a voucher system.

So what does Ryan do? He goes on the government dole and votes for things that helped get us into financial trouble. What a guy!

Last edited:
The youth vote is swinging to Paul Ryan

lol.gif

Hey, don't take his word for it!

News analysis: Mitt Romney pulls even in youth vote, says pollster John Zogby

'Most notably, Zogby claims Romney has crested 40 percent of the 18- to 29-year-old age bracket, for the first time.

This is a critical threshold that the Obama camp can be none too pleased about. President Obama scored 66 percent of the youth vote in 2008. '

News analysis: Mitt Romney pulls even in youth vote, says pollster John Zogby | Deseret News

Paul Ryan is young. He is the first Gen Xer to run for national office. He looks more like them than Biden does or obama does. He speaks in terms they understand.

Despite the democrats portrayal of republicans being the party of old white men, it's really the republicans whose rising stars are young. Chris Christie, Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan, Sarah Palin, Eric Cantor. The median age of republicans is much much lower than democrats who cling to Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Joe Biden. One of the advantages that obama had over McCain was that in the debates he appeared younger and more dynamic. Now, obama is described as a "slog", but that was then.

The republican convention is designed to showcase the younger ages of the coming republican party.

GOP convention to showcase young stars - KansasCity.com

They will be speaking about the myriad issues young Americans are facing while democrats are going to go all in on abortion as the major issue.

Paul Ryan is young. He is the first Gen Xer to run for national office. He looks more like them than Biden does or obama does. He speaks in terms they understand.

Despite the democrats portrayal of republicans being the party of old white men, it's really the republicans whose rising stars are young. Chris Christie, Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan, Sarah Palin, Eric Cantor. The median age of republicans is much much lower than democrats who cling to Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Joe Biden. One of the advantages that obama had over McCain was that in the debates he appeared younger and more dynamic. Now, obama is described as a "slog", but that was then.

The republican convention is designed to showcase the younger ages of the coming republican party.

GOP convention to showcase young stars - KansasCity.com

They will be speaking about the myriad issues young Americans are facing while democrats are going to go all in on abortion as the major issue.

How many of these "youth" subscribe to the principals of Ayn Rand?

You are as out of touch with reality as Paul Ryan.

Forum List

Back