The Wussipussisissification of America

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
We have become pathetic.

I grew up in New England where people used to be tough, hearty and self reliant.

We walked to and from school in blizzards with no shoes up hill both ways and never thought to complain.

Now we have cities in new England declaring a "snow emergency" when we haven't seen one fucking snowflake yet.

Schools are closed and businesses are shutting their doors early and IT"S NOT SNOWING YET!!!

The super markets are packed with people stocking up on bread and milk like it's fucking Armageddon. Surely nothing will be open tomorrow because it's a snow emergency

EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT SNOWING YET!!!!!

sigh

I am ashamed. How far we have fallen

Cities are financially strapped.

Keeping people off the streets takes some of the pressure off them to pay for the extra crews they'd need if there was no emergency.

If things don't start to improve, Cities are going to have to declare rain emergency days, too.

We have become pathetic.

I grew up in New England where people used to be tough, hearty and self reliant.

We walked to and from school in blizzards with no shoes up hill both ways and never thought to complain.

Now we have cities in new England declaring a "snow emergency" when we haven't seen one fucking snowflake yet.

Schools are closed and businesses are shutting their doors early and IT"S NOT SNOWING YET!!!

The super markets are packed with people stocking up on bread and milk like it's fucking Armageddon. Surely nothing will be open tomorrow because it's a snow emergency

EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT SNOWING YET!!!!!

sigh

I am ashamed. How far we have fallen

one of the worst thing to happen is having a major snow storm hit during rush hour, with everyone on the road at once, heading home with 3 inches of snow coming down an hour....the snow plows can't get thru to clean the roads and it bottlenecks and everyone is stuck!

this isn't wussification, there are many more cars today, much more cross city/state traffic getting to jobs etc....and plus what editech said, it saves the State, and ultimately all tax payers, money by shutting down the government.

my old neighborhood in mass is suppose to get 17 inches of snow!

Cities are financially strapped.

Keeping people off the streets takes some of the pressure off them to pay for the extra crews they'd need if there was no emergency.

If things don't start to improve, Cities are going to have to declare rain emergency days, too.

Paying teachers not to teach and businesses losing revenue is a sure way to conserve money.

one of the worst thing to happen is having a major snow storm hit during rush hour, with everyone on the road at once, heading home with 3 inches of snow coming down an hour....the snow plows can't get thru to clean the roads and it bottlenecks and everyone is stuck!

this isn't wussification, there are many more cars today, much more cross city/state traffic getting to jobs etc....and plus what editech said, it saves the State, and ultimately all tax payers, money by shutting down the government.

my old neighborhood in mass is suppose to get 17 inches of snow!

And it is 2 PM and the snow just started falling.

And the key term here is "supposed to" It just started snowing 15 minutes ago but the "emergency" was declared at 9 AM

Pussiwussisissification

people could have worked til 1 PM and still made it home. I'm willing to bet people could have put in a full day and still made it home before it got really bad.

And the key term here is "supposed to" It just started snowing 15 minutes ago but the "emergency" was declared at 9 AM

Pussiwussisissification

people could have worked til 1 PM and still made it home. I'm willing to bet people could have put in a full day and still made it home before it got really bad.

Agreed--Americans are no longer a hearty people. Everything hard might kill you or get someone sued.

Pussiwussisissification

And I would bet that many people did stay to 1 pm as some would have done in my old corporation and some would work until 5 pm and 7 pm etc....you are only going by what the governor has declared, it does not mean that the workers or executives followed it.

I think that you might be confusing wussification with people being smart enough to not spend their time in town to SHOP at your store or something? ;)

A LOT of what has changed between your youth and now, is that those that live in boston work in the burbs or across town and those in the suburbs work in boston or the same with other cities like Worcester and the suburbs that surround them etc, in my opinion....COUPLED with your wussi'fication theory!!! :D People or businesses are afraid of being sued if one of their workers were kept at work and got in a bad car wreck in the deep snow on the way home. It's more that the businesses have been wussified, but not necessarily all the New englanders that live the life.

care

Where I live here in Wisconsin they declared yesterday and today a snow emergency, and a little town near here declared a THREE DAY snow emergency. I don't care. I'll take the time off. There's stuff around home here to do that I constantly can't find time for because I'm off doing something else. I guess snow emergency gives me the perfect reason to do it.

Wussification, maybe. I guess it's right along the same lines with the moronic idea of banning "red pens" in school now. Who's fucking brain child was THAT?! :cuckoo:

Gimme a break. :eusa_hand:

Paying teachers not to teach and businesses losing revenue is a sure way to conserve money.

FYI:

Teachers don't get paid for snow days. We have to make them up, so let's say there are 5 snow days during the school year. In our district, we would make them up at the end of the year (in June) without any extra pay.

Just saying.

Carry on!

Where I live here in Wisconsin they declared yesterday and today a snow emergency, and a little town near here declared a THREE DAY snow emergency. I don't care. I'll take the time off. There's stuff around home here to do that I constantly can't find time for because I'm off doing something else. I guess snow emergency gives me the perfect reason to do it.

Wussification, maybe. I guess it's right along the same lines with the moronic idea of banning "red pens" in school now. Who's fucking brain child was THAT?! :cuckoo:

Gimme a break. :eusa_hand:

Uh, our district doesn't ban red pens. Who does? I haven't even heard of this!

I love snow days too, my daughter makes a "fort" in the living room and we watch movies and eat yummy food in our pj's all day.

I always chuckle when they close our area down because of hurricanes. If someone can't drive around in 125 mph winds and flash floods and conduct their business they are a bunch of crybabies. We don't have cops, EMTs and firefighters for nothing, people! These city employees need practice...don't be afraid to give it to them.

I always chuckle when they close our area down because of hurricanes. If someone can't drive around in 125 mph winds and flash floods and conduct their business they are a bunch of crybabies. We don't have cops, EMTs and firefighters for nothing, people! These city employees need practice...don't be afraid to give it to them.

Ravi you cannot equate 6 or 8 inches of fluffy white snow to a hurricane.

Ah, I thought it was going to be more than that. I've been through blizzards as well. I'll take hurricanes.

It was nothing close to the doomsday predictions. it never is. We got about 8 inches of snow. BFD right?

It was nothing close to the doomsday predictions. it never is. We got about 8 inches of snow. BFD right?

wow, that really isn't that much snow at all....i mean, yes it is tough to drive in, but it is not the kind of snow that should close the entire state down....we laugh at 8 inches of snow up here!!!!! :lol:

We have a doozy coming here this week, starting tomorrow and suppose to get snow every day after that through wednesday....could be a couple of feet when all said and done!

Where i used to live in mass, a little southeast of the Worcester area, about 15 miles north of the rhode island border, was an area that always got SLAMMED!

Much more so than Boston.... if Boston got 5 inches of snow we could get 15 inches of snow...it was right at the foot of the Worcester Hills in Blackstone valley....and let me tell ya, this valley area always got slammed...the first year we moved there, from Florida :eek:, on April 1, actually btween March 31st and April 1st, we got 40 inches of snow...we had a yardstick that we had put on our deck to measure the snow and we LOST our yardstick!!!! When the snow stopped, we could not find one of our cars that was parked outside the garage....it looked like a hill.

I was out of half and half, which i love in my coffee, so matt and I decided to walk down to the local convenient store about a mile away....the roads had not been plowed that morning yet, though they had been plowed the evening before so with snow boots we could get down to the store and took the chance that it would be opened...(The Lord only knows why?)

Anyway, we hiked on down to the main corner in the town square where the convenient store was and low and behold, it looks like the restaurant and Pub and inn, directly across the street from the town square is OPENED....so we thought that we would just go in there and get breakfast....

Well, the restaurant was closed but the PUB was opened!!! 9 am and serving beer and liquor :D to the packed bar...it was small so maybe 10 people filled every seat....Matt and I decided to join in....I mean, why not? hahahahaha! There was nothing else to do? We were on foot, so no worries of drunk driving? lol...

Anyway, we HAD A BLAST...and got to know some of our local neighbors...we had only been in this town for maybe 3 months and didn't know a soul so it was a lot of fun! About halfway through the morning, we find out that one of the guys at the Bar we were drinking and chatting with WAS THE SNOW PLOW MAN for the town!!!! :eek: and I swear he had at least 3 beers while we were in the bar...and we commented to ourselves, "No wonder the roads haven't been done yet!" :) Oh MY!

Anyway, we left about 3 hours later and stumbled a lot on the way home, made snow angels on the edge of people's yards on the walk home, in contest of who can make the better one....and in the distance we saw the town snow plow guy coming up the road, towards us....so we ran to the middle of someone's yard until he passed us!!!! He seemed to be doing fine though, driving straight as an arrow, but at the moment, we did not want to take the chance.:eusa_eh:

anyway, THAT'S what you can call a wicked snow storm....I will always remember it!

care

wow, that really isn't that much snow at all....i mean, yes it is tough to drive in, but it is not the kind of snow that should close the entire state down....we laugh at 8 inches of snow up here!!!!! :lol:

We have a doozy coming here this week, starting tomorrow and suppose to get snow every day after that through wednesday....could be a couple of feet when all said and done!

Where i used to live in mass, a little southeast of the Worcester area, about 15 miles north of the rhode island border, was an area that always got SLAMMED!

Much more so than Boston.... if Boston got 5 inches of snow we could get 15 inches of snow...it was right at the foot of the Worcester Hills in Blackstone valley....and let me tell ya, this valley area always got slammed...the first year we moved there, from Florida :eek:, on April 1, actually btween March 31st and April 1st, we got 40 inches of snow...we had a yardstick that we had put on our deck to measure the snow and we LOST our yardstick!!!! When the snow stopped, we could not find one of our cars that was parked outside the garage....it looked like a hill.

I was out of half and half, which i love in my coffee, so matt and I decided to walk down to the local convenient store about a mile away....the roads had not been plowed that morning yet, though they had been plowed the evening before so with snow boots we could get down to the store and took the chance that it would be opened...(The Lord only knows why?)

Anyway, we hiked on down to the main corner in the town square where the convenient store was and low and behold, it looks like the restaurant and Pub and inn, directly across the street from the town square is OPENED....so we thought that we would just go in there and get breakfast....

Well, the restaurant was closed but the PUB was opened!!! 9 am and serving beer and liquor :D to the packed bar...it was small so maybe 10 people filled every seat....Matt and I decided to join in....I mean, why not? hahahahaha! There was nothing else to do? We were on foot, so no worries of drunk driving? lol...

Anyway, we HAD A BLAST...and got to know some of our local neighbors...we had only been in this town for maybe 3 months and didn't know a soul so it was a lot of fun! About halfway through the morning, we find out that one of the guys at the Bar we were drinking and chatting with WAS THE SNOW PLOW MAN for the town!!!! :eek: and I swear he had at least 3 beers while we were in the bar...and we commented to ourselves, "No wonder the roads haven't been done yet!" :) Oh MY!

Anyway, we left about 3 hours later and stumbled a lot on the way home, made snow angels on the edge of people's yards on the walk home, in contest of who can make the better one....and in the distance we saw the town snow plow guy coming up the road, towards us....so we ran to the middle of someone's yard until he passed us!!!! He seemed to be doing fine though, driving straight as an arrow, but at the moment, we did not want to take the chance.:eusa_eh:

anyway, THAT'S what you can call a wicked snow storm....I will always remember it!

care

That's a great story. And one I can certainly identify with. We've "opened" a few bars during snow storms ourselves.

Forum List

Back