The Wussipussisissification of America

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skull Pilot, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,100
    We have become pathetic.

I grew up in New England where people used to be tough, hearty and self reliant.

We walked to and from school in blizzards with no shoes up hill both ways and never thought to complain.

Now we have cities in new England declaring a "snow emergency" when we haven't seen one fucking snowflake yet.

Schools are closed and businesses are shutting their doors early and IT"S NOT SNOWING YET!!!

The super markets are packed with people stocking up on bread and milk like it's fucking Armageddon. Surely nothing will be open tomorrow because it's a snow emergency

EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT SNOWING YET!!!!!

sigh

I am ashamed. How far we have fallen

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Cities are financially strapped.

Keeping people off the streets takes some of the pressure off them to pay for the extra crews they'd need if there was no emergency.

If things don't start to improve, Cities are going to have to declare rain emergency days, too.

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    i remember when i could afford groceries and all

4. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,109
    one of the worst thing to happen is having a major snow storm hit during rush hour, with everyone on the road at once, heading home with 3 inches of snow coming down an hour....the snow plows can't get thru to clean the roads and it bottlenecks and everyone is stuck!

this isn't wussification, there are many more cars today, much more cross city/state traffic getting to jobs etc....and plus what editech said, it saves the State, and ultimately all tax payers, money by shutting down the government.

my old neighborhood in mass is suppose to get 17 inches of snow!

5. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,100
    Paying teachers not to teach and businesses losing revenue is a sure way to conserve money.

6. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,100
    And it is 2 PM and the snow just started falling.

And the key term here is "supposed to" It just started snowing 15 minutes ago but the "emergency" was declared at 9 AM

Pussiwussisissification

people could have worked til 1 PM and still made it home. I'm willing to bet people could have put in a full day and still made it home before it got really bad.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Agreed--Americans are no longer a hearty people. Everything hard might kill you or get someone sued.

8. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,730
    It starts in earnest on Jan. 20.

9. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,109
    And I would bet that many people did stay to 1 pm as some would have done in my old corporation and some would work until 5 pm and 7 pm etc....you are only going by what the governor has declared, it does not mean that the workers or executives followed it.

I think that you might be confusing wussification with people being smart enough to not spend their time in town to SHOP at your store or something? ;)

A LOT of what has changed between your youth and now, is that those that live in boston work in the burbs or across town and those in the suburbs work in boston or the same with other cities like Worcester and the suburbs that surround them etc, in my opinion....COUPLED with your wussi'fication theory!!! :D People or businesses are afraid of being sued if one of their workers were kept at work and got in a bad car wreck in the deep snow on the way home. It's more that the businesses have been wussified, but not necessarily all the New englanders that live the life.

care

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,126
    Where I live here in Wisconsin they declared yesterday and today a snow emergency, and a little town near here declared a THREE DAY snow emergency. I don't care. I'll take the time off. There's stuff around home here to do that I constantly can't find time for because I'm off doing something else. I guess snow emergency gives me the perfect reason to do it.

Wussification, maybe. I guess it's right along the same lines with the moronic idea of banning "red pens" in school now. Who's fucking brain child was THAT?! :cuckoo:

Gimme a break. :eusa_hand: