The worship of Satan: Has it led to genocide?

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
As an atheist, I find it interesting that most religions need a whipping boy of sorts to promote their ideas. The major three (christianity, islam and judaism) have the concept of "Satan" to attach the faults of mankind too. However, there are religions that actually worship that deity as well. Just wondering, if there have ever been any major Genocides attributed to this practice?

Well, since most of human nature tends to side with the forces of good over evil, Satanism is probably very much a fringe religion with very few actual participants.... so no, they don't have the numbers or the power to do much of anything as dramatic as genocide.

Truthfully... All genocides are not of God, they are of man. Even the ones done in God's name. Man is his own worst enemy.

Well, since most of human nature tends to side with the forces of good over evil, Satanism is probably very much a fringe religion with very few actual participants.... so no, they don't have the numbers or the power to do much of anything as dramatic as genocide.

Truthfully... All genocides are not of God, they are of man. Even the ones done in God's name. Man is his own worst enemy.

As I don't believe in god or satan..then genocides get attributed to causes, factions, political beliefs, ethnicities, religions or nations in my world.

Christianity, thus far, holds the record for genocides in this regard. The other big two are distantly behind that religion.

But it's interesting that "Satanic" worship gets the blame for the world's "evils".

Especially given the propensity to "purify" souls via "releasing" them. No?

OK... if you want to go there, we can. Satan is wonderful at deception(or so it says in the bible). He is the father of lies and we as humans are a gullible lot. Who's to say that Satan didn't influence all those Genocides in God's name to give God a "black eye" in the PR department.

Heck, it worked pretty well for the GOP against the Dems in 2010.

Ps.... i don't think it's Satanic "worship" that gets the blame... it's Satan himself. Truthfully, I think man is to blame for these things. As witnessed on this very message board, people as a whole tend to be "group thinkers". On occasion, that "group" mentality becomes catastrophic.

I don't think it's fair to blame anything but Man himself for Wars and Genocide.

They could have done-so in the name of Religion while not ever deep down really believing in said Religion, but using it as a guise to achieve more Power.

I think the only people with 100% Faith in any Religion are the ones TRULY not afraid to die. Suicide bombers, for instance.

OK... if you want to go there, we can. Satan is wonderful at deception(or so it says in the bible). He is the father of lies and we as humans are a gullible lot. Who's to say that Satan didn't influence all those Genocides in God's name to give God a "black eye" in the PR department.

Heck, it worked pretty well for the GOP against the Dems in 2010.

Because aside from Hitler..Christians haven't thrown their various Christian warriors under the bus.

Pius even has gotten a pass.

Neither has any other religion for that matter.

Kind of depends on how you define Satan worship, Sallow. If you mean, people who say THEMSELVES that they're worshiping Satan, no. But if you mean, people whom CHRISTIANS say are worshiping Satan, definitely. Not nearly as much in the way of genocide as Christians are responsible for, but it has happened.

You see, there's this Christian idea that any worship other than theirs is really Satan worship. Which idea is probably why Christians are guilty of genocide more often and on a larger scale than anyone else.

As an atheist, I find it interesting that most religions need a whipping boy of sorts to promote their ideas. The major three (christianity, islam and judaism) have the concept of "Satan" to attach the faults of mankind too. However, there are religions that actually worship that deity as well. Just wondering, if there have ever been any major Genocides attributed to this practice?

Hmm I didn't know you were an Athiest.

The world is run by lunatics. Until you realize that you're....................
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKWVu0BsFkE&feature=related]Are they all rock fans? or are they illuminati hand signals? - YouTube[/ame]

As far as the "hand signal" that Taylor is holding up? It's sign language for "I love you". Look it up.

Put the thumb in and(IIRC), it becomes a Satanistic one.

Satan worship hasn't done Haiti much good. They should all convert to Christianity and make their country more successful.

I thought Haitians practiced Voodoo? Which is loosely based on the Roman Catholic religion. Wait, I'll look it up... yep... here ya go.

Haitian Vodou[1][2] (play /ˈvoʊduː/ or /ˈvuːduː/, French: [vodu]; also written as Vodun[3][4] /ˈvoʊduːn/, or Vodoun,[1][3] and frequently rendered in English as Voodoo) is a syncretic[5] religion that originates in the Caribbean country of Haiti. It is based upon a merging of the beliefs and practices of West African peoples (mainly the Fon and Ewe; see West African Vodun), with Arawakian religious beliefs, and Roman Catholic Christianity. Vodou was created by African slaves who were brought to Haiti in the 16th century and still followed their traditional African beliefs, but were forced to convert to the religion of their slavers.[6] Practitioners are commonly described as Vodouisants [voduisɑ̃].

Hmm I didn't know you were an Athiest.

:D Big time.

Actually, Satanism is a very interesting religion, and it has little to do with your concepts of evil.

The use of Satan is a symbol for Promethean rebelliousness.

I'm not sure there is a single recorded instance in history of a satanist actually killing anyone.

Actually, Satanism is a very interesting religion, and it has little to do with your concepts of evil.

I'm not sure there is a single recorded instance in history of a satanist actually killing anyone.

Erm..

Sure there are..they generally kids involved in rituals or serial killers.

But nothing on the scale of the big 3.

Erm..

So...maybe a few hundred over the course of thousands of years?

Erm..

So...maybe a few hundred over the course of thousands of years?

If that. :D

Forum List

Back