The World’s Filthiest Places

I am surprised to see the Italians on this list, they need to get their shit together the rest of the countries on that list are poverty stricken shit holes.

well Italy has its spots, Naples is totally overridden by the mob, they onw all of the docks the garbage hauling and have been targeted by the Italian feds, the garbage strikes and invalidated contracts have caused pandemonium....

when I was in Sorrento 3 years ago, you could smell Naples across the bay.

Naples, Italy
Been there and I can confirm it's a shit hole.

However

Where the hell is Alexandria Egypt?

Naples was politly called "The Armpit of the Med." by sailors, but it's far nicer than the Anus of the Med, Alexandria.

yup. me too. its nasty.

and actually Cairo is way worse than Alexandria.;)

Naples, Italy

However

Naples was politly called "The Armpit of the Med." by sailors, but it's far nicer than the Anus of the Med, Alexandria.

I remember when I was a kid inphilly, and we used to say you just throw your garbage out the window in Newark on the way to new york. That was the armpit of the world to me as a kid.

Texas border towns

3128798360_e47c401f88.jpg

Waters iffy and rare[ish]

People eat loads of garlic so they smell like garlic instead of b/o.

The tourist areas are pristine, but if you are ever up when the tide goes out.... :puke:

Hmm that sucks to hear that, I was in Sicily once at Siganela Naval Air Station for a quick stop on my way to Saudi Arabia for a deployment, didn't seem so bad over there.

It's just Naples.

Most of the rest of the country is like any place else, just with water restrictions.

Many Italians bath in the Med itself, but in Naples you would have to clean yourself after getting into the water. It was full of dead rats, condoms and gawd knows what else.

and yet, they look down on Sicily....lol I have been to signally Sicily a few times and its freaking beautiful there..

I know beaches in the Med are often closed for health reasons,mainly due to piss and shit,(now I'm going to piss you all off) after all the American Tourists have passed through.........I'm only joking......Here in Perth,Australia visitors always remark how incredibly clean our fair city is........which is so true

Please excuse my comment above re Americans,it was crass to say the least..Sorry..theliq

Last edited:
beaches full of trash rivers you can walk on?

perhaps i really dont wanna travel more....i envy yall.....all your travels...i would love to see the middle east and europe

I am surprised to see the Italians on this list, they need to get their shit together the rest of the countries on that list are poverty stricken shit holes.

camorra & corruption.

usually they send the garbage to germany for a lot of money.

here the italian garbage is burned and electricity generated from the heat.

recently they started burning the garbage in the streets or dumping it in the mediterranean.

Naples, Italy

However

yup. me too. its nasty.

Worse?

How? Seriously. After seeing the deep blue of the Med turn to shit brown the moment we passed the breakers into the bay, I assumed the city was on the edge of plague.

krist, we watched an animals stomach slowly roll down the street to the shore and the locals didn't seem to notice.

Naples, Italy

However

yup. me too. its nasty.

Worse?

How? Seriously. After seeing the deep blue of the Med turn to shit brown the moment we passed the breakers into the bay, I assumed the city was on the edge of plague.

krist, we watched an animals stomach slowly roll down the street to the shore and the locals didn't seem to notice.

The standards of cleanliness and hygiene are just very different in the region, they are fine with things being filthy and dirty, if they were not ok with it they would change it. Its a cultural thing that can't be changed like how they treat their women, hell the Saudis and Kuwaitis aren't much better and they are oil rich countries and they have the money and resources to change things, but choose not to.

yup. me too. its nasty.

Worse?

The standards of cleanliness and hygiene are just very different in the region, they are fine with things being filthy and dirty, if they were not ok with it they would change it. Its a cultural thing that can't be changed like how they treat their women, hell the Saudis and Kuwaitis aren't much better and they are oil rich countries and they have the money and resources to change things, but choose not to.

considering history, living in filth in the ME makes no sense.

Weren't they nearly immune to the plagues due to how clean they were?

Worse?

considering history, living in filth in the ME makes no sense.

Weren't they nearly immune to the plagues due to how clean they were?

I'm not too familiar with that part of their history however things have definently changed now, sometimes history is funny like that. Africa also had some advanced civilizations many moons ago and most of the countries there are poverty stricken shit holes as well.

Hmm that sucks to hear that, I was in Sicily once at Siganela Naval Air Station for a quick stop on my way to Saudi Arabia for a deployment, didn't seem so bad over there.

It's just Naples.

Most of the rest of the country is like any place else, just with water restrictions.

Many Italians bath in the Med itself, but in Naples you would have to clean yourself after getting into the water. It was full of dead rats, condoms and gawd knows what else.

and yet, they look down on Sicily....lol I have been to signally Sicily a few times and its freaking beautiful there..

I will assume, you mean Sigonella?:rolleyes: dude...

Naples, Italy

However

yup. me too. its nasty.

Worse?

*shrugs* I went on a Nile 'expedition' back when Cairo was just creeping up on the Giza plateau archeological complex. I remember walking to the edge of the plateau and looking maybe oh, 2 miles north to Cairo and wishing they would never get any closer, out native guide said same, but he said it will in 5-8 years max, hug the Pyramids... and he was right and heres the thing, 80% of these "suburbs" are ghettos that make our ghettos look like the Fairmont Hotels here....its as bad as India.

My only experience in Alexandria was 2 nights the Mercury hotel, which is east of trhe harbor, and I am sure it was bad, but I saw the same type of "sewage treatment" :lol: in lloret del mar and thats a big resort town...*shrugs* its all relative I guess..;)

It's just Naples.

I will assume, you mean Sigonella?:rolleyes: dude...

I figured it was the nick name.

I was stuckuhm stationed, in La Madellinna. We just called it La Mad [mawd].

Forum List

Back