The World & My Perception

Senorita

La Reina Azteca
Oct 10, 2011
Australia
Recent poem I had written in an attempt to vent.

Families on the street due to job loss and lease rise
kids turn to gangs while the leader claims the peace prize
media thrive off pain to make a dollar they release lies
fast food ads so loud they can't hear a kid's obese cries
freedom forbidden for those gagged and tied up
our men end up with their toes tagged or lined up
children starve to death as they watch the wealthy feast
too many unanswered questions with the war in the Middle East
government caught supplying guns to keep the drug war alive
those looking to cross the border reach death before they arrive
children having children, we've reached an epidemic
the only education received is guaranteed non-academic
getting fined for crossing streets that your tax money built
then introduce carbon tax and blame environmental guilt
women getting stoned to death for turning down a vulture
'cause refusing arranged marriages is betraying ones culture
the words they class as wisdom is just decomposing truth
cover ups used to silence those with the exposing proof
are these problems all political, are we thinking analytical
why do we seek answers from the weak and hypocritical
release a victim's photo, protect a killer with facial blurs
hope the future generations aren't victims of racial slurs
domestic violence shouldn't exist but cowards choose to converse with their fist
rapists walk with no cuffs on their wrist as others still make the most wanted list
making money is a clear addiction, to speak our mind is a near restriction
crime so high they don't fear conviction, time to stand and start to steer prediction.

Stop whining.

Quick, someone give this Californian girl some attention.

Cali girl calls herself a 'writer'. She watches Glenn Beck and then writes about it, but says it is a secret source.

She is jealous of real writing.

You know what's funny.... that you have the audacity to claim you know more about my life than I do. How moronic does that make you? :lol:

Loser. And... Liar.

I notice you didn't have a quote from some 'thinker' to back up your ridiculous bullshit. :lol::lol:

Stop whining.

Pay no attention to Cali Girl, given her negativity she must lead a bitter, narrow life and is in need of our consideration and sympathy.

Shame this turned personal rather than stayed observant of the repeats and small changes in our culture. Often though, when reading history, it seems little has changed or maybe it has, we no longer hang or kill people or treat them as lesser humans in most of the world. Given we have another 5 billion years or so before the sun burns out, maybe we'll improve, maybe.

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what a people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. Men may not get all they pay for in this world; but they must pay for all they get. If we ever get free from all the oppressions and wrongs heaped upon us, we must pay for their removal. We must do this by labor, by suffering, by sacrifice, and, if needs be, by our lives, and the lives of others." Frederick Douglass

Cali girl calls herself a 'writer'. She watches Glenn Beck and then writes about it, but says it is a secret source.

She is jealous of real writing.

You know what's funny.... that you have the audacity to claim you know more about my life than I do. How moronic does that make you? :lol:

Loser. And... Liar.

I notice you didn't have a quote from some 'thinker' to back up your ridiculous bullshit. :lol::lol:

I know enough by your response that I hit a nerve. I have enough knowledge of mankind to understand how beliefs and dogma manifests.

domestic violence shouldn't exist but cowards choose to converse with their fist
rapists walk with no cuffs on their wrist as others still make the most wanted list
crime so high they don't fear conviction, time to stand and start to steer prediction.

Really well written. :) Thank you for sharing.

I hope you were able to release some of those feelings in that vent. They are quite raw considering they are external. Poetic license.

I can relate. :)

Funny how the poetic voice of mankind just keeps coming back, isn't it?

Oral poetry was once all we had before writing.

Poetry was the connective tissue of mankind's intellectual understanding.

Poetry was the building blocks of our history, and our religion, it was our education and our entertainment, too.

Our Bible is in poetic form. Shakespeare plays are all written in poetic form.

Writing came along and while poetry continued to dominate popular taste, prose became more common.

Mankinds memory faded as prose made putting informtion into verse unnecessary, but our love of poetry didn't die.

Thousands of years after prose became a tool of communication, poetry was still more popular than novels in the 19th century.

And then, as the novel came along and as prose developed a popular audience, by the 20th century poetry became the stuff of academics, lyricists and Hallmark cards.

Rap seems to be all changing that, again.

Something in the heart of man just loves the music and emotional truth of the art inherent in our language.

Mankind and poetry are inseparable because our emotional intlligence is designed to express itself poetically and musically.

Rosetta is building something right now that we hope some of today's poets -- who are usually untrained and uneducated in the mechanics of the peoteic form -- might find useful.

The net is awash with excellent poetry sites and we have created a poetry education site, too.

But there is one feature on our site that I thought had been overlooked by most poetry sites.

We are building a glossary of poetic terms.

These glossary entries describe the building blocks of poetic style as it has developed over the millenia.

I hope that you might find this glossary of ours useful, if not for your own works, then to help you understand and appreciate the genius of the poets that came before you.

Glossary A | poetry.literaturelearning.org

Last edited:
"When power leads men towards arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses. For art establishes the basic human truth which must serve as the touchstone of our judgment."

President John F. Kennedy

amherst_college.gif

President John F. Kennedy at Amherst, October 26, 1963

kennedy_conv04.jpg
kennedy_conv01.jpg

Remarks at Amherst College, October 26, 1963

President John F. Kennedy
Amherst, Massachusetts
October 26, 1963

"This day devoted to the memory of Robert Frost offers an opportunity for reflection which is prized by politicians as well as by others, and even by poets, for Robert Frost was one of the granite figures of our time in America. He was supremely two things: an artist and an American. A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces but also by the men it honors, the men it remembers.

In America, our heroes have customarily run to men of large accomplishments. But today this college and country honors a man whose contribution was not to our size but to our spirit, not to our political beliefs but to our insight, not to our self-esteem, but to our self- comprehension. In honoring Robert Frost, we therefore can pay honor to the deepest sources of our national strength. That strength takes many forms, and the most obvious forms are not always the most significant. The men who create power make an indispensable contribution to the Nation's greatness, but the men who question power make a contribution just as indispensable, especially when that questioning is disinterested, for they determine whether we use power or power uses us.

Our national strength matters, but the spirit which informs and controls our strength matters just as much. This was the special significance of Robert Frost. He brought an unsparing instinct for reality to bear on the platitudes and pieties of society. His sense of the human tragedy fortified him against self-deception and easy consolation. "I have been" he wrote, "one acquainted with the night." And because he knew the midnight as well as the high noon, because he understood the ordeal as well as the triumph of the human spirit, he gave his age strength with which to overcome despair. At bottom, he held a deep faith in the spirit of man, and it is hardly an accident that Robert Frost coupled poetry and power, for he saw poetry as the means of saving power from itself. When power leads men towards arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses. For art establishes the basic human truth which must serve as the touchstone of our judgment.

The artist, however faithful to his personal vision of reality, becomes the last champion of the individual mind and sensibility against an intrusive society and an officious state. The great artist is thus a solitary figure. He has, as Frost said, a lover's quarrel with the world. In pursuing his perceptions of reality, he must often sail against the currents of his time. This is not a popular role. If Robert Frost was much honored in his lifetime, it was because a good many preferred to ignore his darker truths. Yet in retrospect, we see how the artist's fidelity has strengthened the fibre of our national life.

If sometimes our great artist have been the most critical of our society, it is because their sensitivity and their concern for justice, which must motivate any true artist, makes him aware that our Nation falls short of its highest potential. I see little of more importance to the future of our country and our civilization than full recognition of the place of the artist.

If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him. We must never forget that art is not a form of propaganda; it is a form of truth. And as Mr. MacLeish once remarked of poets, there is nothing worse for our trade than to be in style. In free society art is not a weapon and it does not belong to the spheres of polemic and ideology. Artists are not engineers of the soul. It may be different elsewhere. But democratic society--in it, the highest duty of the writer, the composer, the artist is to remain true to himself and to let the chips fall where they may. In serving his vision of the truth, the artist best serves his nation. And the nation which disdains the mission of art invites the fate of Robert Frost's hired man, the fate of having "nothing to look backward to with pride, and nothing to look forward to with hope."

I look forward to a great future for America, a future in which our country will match its military strength with our moral restraint, its wealth with our wisdom, its power with our purpose. I look forward to an America which will not be afraid of grace and beauty, which will protect the beauty of our natural environment, which will preserve the great old American houses and squares and parks of our national past, and which will build handsome and balanced cities for our future.

I look forward to an America which will reward achievement in the arts as we reward achievement in business or statecraft. I look forward to an America which will steadily raise the standards of artistic accomplishment and which will steadily enlarge cultural opportunities for all of our citizens. And I look forward to an America which commands respect throughout the world not only for its strength but for its civilization as well. And I look forward to a world which will be safe not only for democracy and diversity but also for personal distinction."

Last edited:

Just a little prayer, senorita, that you are given the courage to stand, the strength to stay standing, and the power to make good predictions a reality for everyone, especially those who've never had good happen to them.

love,
freedombecki

Forum List

Back