The World FDR Inherited Thread

It's important to remember many parts of the country weren't booming in the '20's to begin with;

dear, you clean forgot to say why its important to remember that? What's important to remember is that lib govt interference caused the Great Depression and prolonged it for 16 years that included a liberal world war with 60 million dead. It didn't happen again under Obama because he followed MItlon Friedmans' advice.
43635-charlton-heston-laughing-gif-iOGX.gif

I will never understand why these fellows are bereft of any knowledge that a GOP president was at the helm when the Great Depression began and was in charge for 3 years before FDR....

FDR was sworn into office first term in March, 1933; check a graph of the GDP and check out when the economy started climbing again. The confidence level was tremendous. The rich were still hoarding their wealth and hiding out behind private armies on their estates, having done absolutely nothing to build the economy back up under Hoover, unless you count gambling on short selling stocks and sniveling about taxes.
In the U.S. presidential election of 1928, Hoover ran as the Republican Party’s nominee. Promising to bring continued peace and prosperity to the nation, he carried 40 states and defeated Democratic candidate Alfred E. Smith (1873-1944), the governor of New York, by a record margin of 444-87 electoral votes. “I have no fears for the future of our country,” Hoover declared in his inaugural address. “It is bright with hope.”

On October 24, 1929–only seven months after Hoover took office–a precipitous drop in the value of the U.S. stock market sent the economy spiraling downward and signaled the start of the Great Depression. Banks and businesses failed across the country. Nationwide unemployment rates rose from 3 percent in 1929 to 23 percent in 1932. Millions of Americans lost their jobs, homes and savings. Many people were forced to wait in bread lines for food and to live in squalid shantytowns known derisively as Hoovervilles.
Herbert Hoover - U.S. Presidents - HISTORY.com

It's important to remember many parts of the country weren't booming in the '20's to begin with; farmers weren't doing well that decade, when a significant number of Americans lived in rural and small town areas, one reason being a huge portion of the manufacturing jobs went to immigrants, massive immigration levels after the Civil War and especially from the early 1880's on kept wages low, below even subsisitence level for many immigrants, so a 'boom' didn't mean much improvement for most people, native or immigrant, and a severe recession lasted into 1922, post -WW I. The ;middle class' was pretty small; few people had much of a buffer against hard times. As cheap as a Model T was, most people still had to borrow on credit to buy one.
3% employment is not a boom?

I doubt the unemployment rate was that low everywhere; Detroit, maybe.
I just quoted the UE in a previous post...

FDR was sworn into office first term in March, 1933; check a graph of the GDP and check out when the economy started climbing again. The confidence level was tremendous. The rich were still hoarding their wealth and hiding out behind private armies on their estates, having done absolutely nothing to build the economy back up under Hoover, unless you count gambling on short selling stocks and sniveling about taxes.
In the U.S. presidential election of 1928, Hoover ran as the Republican Party’s nominee. Promising to bring continued peace and prosperity to the nation, he carried 40 states and defeated Democratic candidate Alfred E. Smith (1873-1944), the governor of New York, by a record margin of 444-87 electoral votes. “I have no fears for the future of our country,” Hoover declared in his inaugural address. “It is bright with hope.”

On October 24, 1929–only seven months after Hoover took office–a precipitous drop in the value of the U.S. stock market sent the economy spiraling downward and signaled the start of the Great Depression. Banks and businesses failed across the country. Nationwide unemployment rates rose from 3 percent in 1929 to 23 percent in 1932. Millions of Americans lost their jobs, homes and savings. Many people were forced to wait in bread lines for food and to live in squalid shantytowns known derisively as Hoovervilles.

It's important to remember many parts of the country weren't booming in the '20's to begin with; farmers weren't doing well that decade, when a significant number of Americans lived in rural and small town areas, one reason being a huge portion of the manufacturing jobs went to immigrants, massive immigration levels after the Civil War and especially from the early 1880's on kept wages low, below even subsisitence level for many immigrants, so a 'boom' didn't mean much improvement for most people, native or immigrant, and a severe recession lasted into 1922, post -WW I. The ;middle class' was pretty small; few people had much of a buffer against hard times. As cheap as a Model T was, most people still had to borrow on credit to buy one.

I know; I wasn't being snarky, just commenting on it.

I know; I wasn't being snarky, just commenting on it.
No problem....

Everything got better under FDR.

yes dear they called it the Great Depression by mistake!!

The worst of the Depression was 1933.
I will never understand why these fellows are bereft of any knowledge that a GOP president was at the helm when the Great Depression began and was in charge for 3 years before FDR....
W
Everything got better under FDR.

That alleviates FDR of any responsibility... In your mind...right?
Not at all, but it is important to the situation that was at hand when FDR came into office...
Hoover intervened massively in the economy. The lying fool FDR campaigned against Hoover claiming he would curtain government intervention. Then after he won, intervened more than Hoover ever dreamed of...thus prolonging the Depression and then he lied us into WWII in an effort to save his sorry ass and the elites who owned him.

Very similar to the doofuses W and BO.

W

Not at all, but it is important to the situation that was at hand when FDR came into office...
Hoover intervened massively in the economy. The lying fool FDR campaigned against Hoover claiming he would curtain government intervention. Then after he won, intervened more than Hoover ever dreamed of...thus prolonging the Depression and then he lied us into WWII in an effort to save his sorry ass and the elites who owned him.

According to Steven Horwitz

W

no, according to history FDR's administration was the Great Depression and WW2. He was not responsible, he was merely the POTUS.

W

no, according to history FDR's administration was the Great Depression and WW2. He was not responsible, he was merely the POTUS.
Not merely the POTUS but always one of the top three American presidents and most recently 238 noted historians including presidential experts voted FDR as America's greatest president. Your best bet was to change FDR into either a Republican, or maybe a commie. At the very least make the 238 historians into commies.
P.S. If you respond to this post please do not change my words to make it fit your response.

W

Not merely the POTUS but always one of the top three American presidents and most recently 238 noted historians including presidential experts voted FDR as America's greatest president. Your best bet was to change FDR into either a Republican, or maybe a commie. At the very least make the 238 historians into commies.
P.S. If you respond to this post please do not change my words to make it fit your response.

dear, I'm sure all the historians in Russia Germany and China loved Hitler Stalin and Mao too.
you are stupid and liberal so your argument is: "everybody says so and that makes it true".

dear, I'm sure all the historians in Russia Germany and China loved Hitler Stalin and Mao too.
you are stupid and liberal so your argument is: "everybody says so and that makes it true".
How can you be sure all the historians in Russia, Germany and China loved Hitler, Stalin and Mao? Maybe you went beyond the facts?
As for the 238 American historians that voted for best American president, they voted on twenty factors. FDR did not come out first in all but enough.

So how many historians were there in Russia, Germany, and China who loved Hitler, Stalin, and Mao? Do you have a link to the polls? I think the standard has been set at 238, currently, so you should be able to come up with more, say 250.

So how many historians were there in Russia, Germany, and China who loved Hitler, Stalin, and Mao? Do you have a link to the polls? I think the standard has been set at 238, currently, so you should be able to come up with more, say 250.

you will always be stupid and liberal if you allow yourself to be distracted. If you think that FDRs depression and world war made him a great president please say why on earth that would be so or even why historians think it is so.

you will always be stupid and liberal if you allow yourself to be distracted. If you think that FDRs depression and world war made him a great president please say why on earth that would be so or even why historians think it is so.

Because I saw a picture once of him wearing a monocle. Obviously anybody who wears a monocle is a better leader than somebody who doesn't.

Don't you agree?

Because I saw a picture once of him wearing a monocle. Obviously anybody who wears a monocle is a better leader than somebody who doesn't.

Don't you agree?

Who are those historians rating Stalin, Hitler and Mao as great leaders? If you can not name them, does that make you the stupid one?

Don't you agree?

Well, if you don't consider the monocle thing important, how about hats? FDR has the best hats, too.

Forum List

Back