The words "to bear arms" is a military term

To bear arms originally applied to knights in service of a king, and had nothing to do with the military.

When have we had a knight or king in the United States of America?

What does that have to do with your claim that it has always applied to military service?

When did I mention military service? I said It's a military term, and is talking about military grade weapons. Which means the people have the right to own military style weapons. You know the kind those black mean looking rifle's

Welll....that is the traditional debate between gun rights-ists and gun-moderates as it regards interpretation of the 2nd amendment.

Was that right meant to give STATE MILITIAS the right to exist, or was it meant to give CITIZENS the right to bear arms?

The language of the 2nd Amednment really isn't clear enough to know.

But the SCOTUS ruled on this issue a long long time ago, and it ruled in favor of citizens having the right to bear arms.

And let's face it, they are the final arbitors of that debate.

Last edited:
Welll....that is the traditional debate between gun rights-ists and gun-moderates as it regards interpretation of the 2nd amendment.

Was that right meant to give STATE MILITIAS the right to exist, or was it meant to give CITIZENS the right to bear arms?

The language of the 2nd Amednment really isn't clear enough to know.

But the SCOTUS ruled on this issue a long long time ago, and it ruled in favor of citizens having the right to bear arms.

And let's face it, they are the final arbitors of that debate.

They ruled that people have a right to certain weapons, which is infringing on my right to gun ownership. Now the government is trying to restrict my ammo capacity. As I said to bear arms is a military term, and is talking about military grade weapons. Which means the people have the right to own military style weapons. You know the kind those black mean looking rifle's

It's a military term, and is talking about military grade weapons. Which means the people have the right to own military style weapons. You know the kind those black mean looking rifle's

Nice to see that at least someone else gets it.

How few people realize that among the things the British were looking for in the stores of the Colonists on April 19, 1775 were CANNONS, Caisons (what you use to move cannons), and Shot (what you fire from a cannon).

It's a military term, and is talking about military grade weapons. Which means the people have the right to own military style weapons. You know the kind those black mean looking rifle's

How few people realize that among the things the British were looking for in the stores of the Colonists on April 19, 1775 were CANNONS, Caisons (what you use to move cannons), and Shot (what you fire from a cannon).

Does the Constitution mean all arms or just "small arms"? What about my surface to air missle?

Does the Constitution mean all arms or just "small arms"? What about my surface to air missle?

If you cancarry it and maintain it

So are you saying that only those connected to the military should be able to bear arms and not private citizens?

Seems like bigreb is trying to remove arms from citizens who are not associated with a militia. That is the only purpose to "bear arms"

Personally, I think you should be allowed a weapon to protect yourself

So are you saying that only those connected to the military should be able to bear arms and not private citizens?

Well yeah. The poster is not..but that's basically what the amendment says..:lol:

Confused much?
I said It's a military term, and is talking about military grade weapons. Which means the people have the right to own military style weapons. You know the kind those black mean looking rifle's

Seems like bigreb is trying to remove arms from citizens who are not associated with a militia. That is the only purpose to "bear arms"

You are really really really confused.
I said It's a military term, and is talking about military grade weapons. Which means the people have the right to own military style weapons. You know the kind those black mean looking rifle's

Well yeah. The poster is not..but that's basically what the amendment says..:lol:

Confused much?

People not in a militia or not actively defending the country do not have a "right" to bear arms.

Your conflation of the 2nd amendment is hilarious by the way.:lol:

Last edited:

Confused much?

People not in a militia or not actively defending the country do not have a "right" to bear arms.

You're conflation of the 2nd amendment is hilarious by the way.:lol:

Which goes back to the question who is the militia? The people are the militia.

Confused much?

That's correct.

But we now have a professional standing army under federal control. That was never original intent.

You are really really really confused.

Claiming it is a military term only ties it to the "well regulated militia"

I don't think you want to go there

Confused much?

The National Guard is the militia

Forum List

Back