The Wodaabe Wife Stealing Festival

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The Wodaabe tribe is a Fulani tribe in Niger, West Africa. The males in the tribe are regarded as very vain because they believe that they are the most handsome set of men and they always carry mirrors.

In the tribe, marriage is always contracted in infancy, and the women can have as many sexual partners as they desire before marriage.

The tribe holds an annual festival called the Gerewol during which men dress elaborately, wear make-up and hold a beauty pageant of some sort. During the festival, men dress to impress the wives of other men.

So.....in order to steal the wives they dress like women? That is a bit odd.

No, the men do not dress up as women.

I once watched a TV special about this ceremony. The men just accentuate their facial features with makeup and wear colorful male tribal clothes to attract the women. .... :cool:

No, the men do not dress up as women.

I once watched a TV special about this ceremony. The men just accentuate their facial features with makeup and wear colorful male tribal clothes to attract the women. .... :cool:

That makes a bit more sense. The pictures I looked at kind of made them look a bit feminine.

The Wodaabe tribe is a Fulani tribe in Niger, West Africa. The males in the tribe are regarded as very vain because they believe that they are the most handsome set of men and they always carry mirrors.

In the tribe, marriage is always contracted in infancy, and the women can have as many sexual partners as they desire before marriage.

The tribe holds an annual festival called the Gerewol during which men dress elaborately, wear make-up and hold a beauty pageant of some sort. During the festival, men dress to impress the wives of other men.

Would explain Obama

That makes a bit more sense. The pictures I looked at kind of made them look a bit feminine.
In the animal kingdom, especially with birds, the male is almost always the beautiful one, and the females look rather dull and plain.

I assume the tribe is imitating this reality they see around them. ... :cool:

Does Slick Willie go?

Would explain Obama
ManchelleBulge.jpg

Forum List

Back