The Witch

Sgt_Gath

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2014
The Witch

This movie was creepy, and pretty damn intense, but not really "scary," per se. I'd honestly count it more as being a high drama/historical period/cultural exploration piece with supernatural elements than a horror film.

In that regard, I really don't have any complaints. It did its job well enough.

7.5 out of 10

I am, however, more than a bit disturbed to learn (after researching the film a bit) that it's actually fairly popular in certain circles to interpret this movie as being some sort of "Feminist parable," with...

The girl's decision to become a witch, and "live deliciously," in the end (after her entire family had been killed)

...supposedly pushing a message of "women's liberation" from the "oppressive" social mores of its era.

Dude... The witches in this film butcher freaking babies in cold blood and slather themselves in the gore afterwards, rape little boys, and just otherwise go out of their way to tear apart the lives and families of innocent people (archaic religious views aside, the main characters - male and female alike - weren't portrayed as being in any sense 'bad' or even necessarily 'unhappy' people) for no reason whatsoever. How aggressively effed-up and nihilistic does someone's view of the world have to be, exactly, to try and spin such a clearly cruel and malevolent force as being the good guys of the story?

I mean... Really??? There are no words...

Forum List

Back