The WINNER for the ER tonight!!!!

AtlantaWalter

Nov 8, 2003
small cave outside Atlanta
It's 4:15 am. One of the county ambulances just pulled up and brought in a 25 year old black male who had called EMS from a motel he was staying at. His complaint was that he was having an asthma attack.

When he sat in the triage chair, I asked him what we could do for him and he stated, "Nothing!!! I just needed a ride to this area". He then just got up and walked out of the hospital and down the street.

This missed abortion of a human not only wasted taxpayer money on a needless ambulance ride but also put the EMTs at risk. Suppose they had had an accident on the way to the call with lights and sirens going or suppose someone else, having a heart attack, actually needed that ambulance while it was transporting his worthless ass?

That's part of the reason America is going to go down the tubes. There are far too many people who do not think of the other person anymore, too many people who do not realize the possible consequences of their actions because they are only thinking of themselves. For every honest, sincere citizen, there must be at least 20 assholes like this guy who contribute nothing to society and therefore should not be allowed to participate in it.

If I had my way, I'd hamstring that guy and have a Coast Guard chopper take him about 100 miles out into the Atlantic and drop his butt into the deep blue sea!!!!

Isn't there some way for the paramedics to determine if a call is really an emergency? I would think that just because someone says they are sick, these guys could independently make a decision about their condition. Or does the law say they have to go lights and sirens blaring to the hospital regardless of the patient's condition?

Most paramedics are trained in certain areas and would also call ahead to the hospital giving information. The also take your blood pressure and all in the ambulance and if needed IV! Well, I know they did that when I was transported having Jaelynn.

He probably told the he had a history of Asthma and usually they don't mess with that. Seems a shame indeed, but your right Walter, that's what this place has come too!

You should have capped his ass...that way he would have known what an emergency really was!!

The whole world circled around him.

One woman used the fire department as means of finding out if her boyfriend was having an affair. She pounded on his doors with no answer and swore up and down he had a woman in there - so she called 911 and reported smoke from the apartment. The fire dept. broke down the door - the man was there but no woman, he slept and did not hear the knocking. The woman was never charged with anything - why I have no idea! The man broke it off with her, she turned out to be one of those stalkers....

This sort thing is rare thank goodness but imagine if we had national healthcare? Living in England I remember this being a problem there. There were people using the ambulance service as taxi rides often. There were stories of people using the ambulance for a hospital visit for a bandage for their finger...when asked why...why not? Its paid for in their taxes and they have every right to use and abuse as they see fit. I don't know if charges were filed against this abuse...I left there eventually.

Isn't there some way for the paramedics to determine if a call is really an emergency? I would think that just because someone says they are sick, these guys could independently make a decision about their condition. Or does the law say they have to go lights and sirens blaring to the hospital regardless of the patient's condition?

In Orangeburg, it was up to the patient. My Grandfather fell down the stairs one night and we obviously called 911 and got an ambulance. However, once there, the guys said that even though he was obviously very disoriented and in shock, they couldn't take him in unless they had his permission. It took us a long time to convince him to let them take him.

Originally posted by Dan
In Orangeburg, it was up to the patient. My Grandfather fell down the stairs one night and we obviously called 911 and got an ambulance. However, once there, the guys said that even though he was obviously very disoriented and in shock, they couldn't take him in unless they had his permission. It took us a long time to convince him to let them take him.

In Georgia, his disorientation would have been enough to get family permission and bring him on in. If, on the other hand, he were awake, alert, and oriented, he had the right to refuse treatment.

When I was growing up, I practically had to cough up a lung to prove I was sick enough to stay home from school, two if I had to go to the doctor. I don't think I'd call an ambulance, unless I managed to amputated both my legs.

Wow, I never thought I'd ever hear myself say "in my day", see what happens when you hit 30 :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back