The Wingnut Template

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I am a God on this message board.
The punditry vs. the presidency
How the constant chorus of ‘do something’ Obama foreign policy critics gets it wrong

There is a fun foreign policy game making all the rounds in Washington D.C. this summer: Pin the tail on Barack Obama.

Its appeal is not hard to understand; it's so easy to play.

Step 1: Pick a foreign crisis that touches even slightly on U.S. national security interests. This shouldn't be hard, because the United States defines practically everything in the world as being an American interest.

Step 2: Make clear that this is no garden-variety problem but rather "the defining crisis of [OBAMA'S] presidency," or a threat to the "very foundations of global order" or the answer to the question, "is this how World War III begins."

Step 3: Bemoan the lack of "leadership," "strategy," "attention" or "fortitude" from the commander in chief. Note that the President is "weirdly detached" and "emotionally disengaged" (bonus points for a Churchill reference).

Make corny jokes about how Obama's focus on golf is "turning into 'a real handicap.'" Ask snarky questions like "what would it look like if America actually had a Middle East strategy" that wasn't defined by "inaction" and the lack of a "clear vision." Even suggest that if only a Russian strongman were running America, those terrorists would finally get their due.

Step 4: Insist that everything would be better if something had been done differently a few years ago (bonus points if you made that suggestion at the time).

Say things like:

"We should have ____ ("bombed Syria" or "supported the moderate rebels" or "bombed Syria and supported the rebels")…

"If only we had ____ ("pressured Maliki" or "kept troops in Iraq" or "pressured Maliki and kept the troops in Iraq")...

Step 5: Offer a set of proposals that are vague and contradictory, have little chance of being implemented, fail to take account domestic politics and would do absolutely nothing to impact the crisis that you've described in Step 1.

Step 6: Publish your condemnation in a major newspaper or news outlet. Wait for a phone call from a booker with a Sunday morning talk show.

There are no points for understanding how international relations work, how U.S. power is actually utilized or how other countries interpret their own interests. There's no space on the board for tracking the real-life impact of your recommendations.

*snip*

Managing America's role in the world isn't a game.

The left criticizes everything Republicans do or attempt to do. This POTUS doesn't do anything but fund-raise and golf and we're suppose to STFU???

Strange how you think Obama's bumbling foreign policy shouldn't be talked about, ever.

Obviously a double-standard here.
Where in his post did he say that?

I didn't realize Diane Feinstein was a wingnut.

Thanks for clearing that up.

The left criticizes everything Republicans do or attempt to do. This POTUS doesn't do anything but fund-raise and golf and we're suppose to STFU???

Strange how you think Obama's bumbling foreign policy shouldn't be talked about, ever.

From top to bottom that is what it says.

The tone of desperation in your thread is beyond hilarious. I'm almost past disgust with you incompetent, lying POS liberals and ready for the pity phase.

The entire world can see what a disaster OBUMBLER is.

You're not turning the tide in the least. Next month it will be worse when the Ukraine disaster will become front and center as well as the ME.

Strange that you think he's bumbling it.

Based on what?
My own experiences and the comments by everyone else. Even NBC said he's a fuck up yesterday.
Nothing specific? I'm shocked! Lol!

Playing dumb are we?

I'm not going to waste time answering stupid questions.

I'm like you, mudwhistle. Put up an intelligent argument and I'll respond. But diversions for diversion sake are a game libs want to play that the rest of us are tired of.

Based on what?
My own experiences and the comments by everyone else. Even NBC said he's a fuck up yesterday.

Playing dumb are we?

I'm like you, mudwhistle. Put up an intelligent argument and I'll respond. But diversions for diversion sake are a game libs want to play that the rest of us are tired of.

Why yes, your threads are a breath of fresh shit slinging

From top to bottom that is what it says.
Nope...not once did he say that it shouldn't be talked about.

Based on what?

Playing dumb are we?

I'm not playing dumb - you just think he's bumbling because he's not doing what Bush/McCain/Cheney would be doing.

But what they did was bumbled - the jury is in.

Why should Obama follow a failed strategy?

The tone of desperation in your thread is beyond hilarious. I'm almost past disgust with you incompetent, lying POS liberals and ready for the pity phase.

The entire world can see what a disaster OBUMBLER is.

You're not turning the tide in the least. Next month it will be worse when the Ukraine disaster will become front and center as well as the ME.
Fuck off. This thread is for the adults.

Repub voters prefer borrowing TRILLIONS $$$, on our grandchildren's credit card mind you, and getting mired-down in decade + long wars :)

thats repub-voters idea of :2up: "doing something" :rolleyes-41:

Forum List

Back