The Will to Live

"Temples and churches, pagodas and mosques, in all lands and in all ages, in splendor and vastness, testify to the metaphysical need of man, which, strong and ineradicable, follows close upon his physical need."

- Arthur Schopenhauer

In consideration of human history, it is hard to argue with the notion of a fundamental metaphysical need among human beings as a consequence or condition of our unique intelligence.

I disagree that there are countless examples of mankind's pursuits in all things 'metaphysical.' The churches, altars, statues, books, etc. . . They all speak for that themselves.

My problem is with calling it a "need." Maybe some people do. . . But I don't personally 'need' any of that shit.

You need to ask yourself why it makes you so uncomfortable to consider that you DO have such a need.

Says who?

You?

I have no such need.

"Temples and churches, pagodas and mosques, in all lands and in all ages, in splendor and vastness, testify to the metaphysical need of man, which, strong and ineradicable, follows close upon his physical need."

- Arthur Schopenhauer

In consideration of human history, it is hard to argue with the notion of a fundamental metaphysical need among human beings as a consequence or condition of our unique intelligence.

I disagree that there are countless examples of mankind's pursuits in all things 'metaphysical.' The churches, altars, statues, books, etc. . . They all speak for that themselves.

My problem is with calling it a "need." Maybe some people do. . . But I don't personally 'need' any of that shit.

Whatever works for you is good, but that doesn't mean it works for everybody else. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the majority of people throughout history and leading up to and including now actually DO have spiritual needs.

I am happy to be in the minority on that one, then.

- Arthur Schopenhauer

You need to ask yourself why it makes you so uncomfortable to consider that you DO have such a need.

Says who?

You?.....

Says YOU. That's the point.

"Life presents itself as a problem, a task to be worked out, and therefore, as a rule, as a constant conflict with necessity."

"To say that the world has only a physical and not a moral significance is the greatest and most pernicious of all errors."

- Arthur Schopenhauer

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Are you asking is it hard to argue the belief of our fundamental metaphysical need for the will to, a condition or consequence based or caused by our unique intelligence?

Forum List

Back