The "wealthy" poor American are the 1% to rest of the world!

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
According to the Department of Health and Human Services, the poverty line for an individual in the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C., was $10,830 in 2010
.. someone at the poverty line in the United States is in the top 14% of the global income distribution.

the bottom 10% of the U.S. income distribution falls in the
upper 30% of the global income distribution!

With more than a billion people around the world now living on less than
$1 per day, the Occupy protesters are living in better conditions than many of the global poor. People brought them Thanksgiving dinner.
The Occupy Philly protesters are postponing a move to a new site until they can ascertain whether they will have access to water and electricity.
Compared to the Rest of the World Americans Are All the 1% @PolicyMic | Courtney Blair

AND compared to the 1890 American Millionaire???

In 1890 NOT ONE American Millionaire could have EVER imagined the following:

40 million people getting free food
8 million people able to talk on cell phone to anyone anywhere FREE!
47 million NOT paying ANY taxes
21 million household receiving $36 billion in "Free MONEY"!
Almost all the "wealthy poor" having at least
Free TV/Radio and Free entertainment
Free Access via the Internet to send pictures/etc. to anyone in the world!
All FREE to the "wealthy American Poor"!

Does this actually seem like a reasonable argument to you? That our poor have it better than third world hell hole poor people so they should just shut up?

According to the Department of Health and Human Services, the poverty line for an individual in the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C., was $10,830 in 2010
.. someone at the poverty line in the United States is in the top 14% of the global income distribution.

$1 per day, the Occupy protesters are living in better conditions than many of the global poor. People brought them Thanksgiving dinner.
The Occupy Philly protesters are postponing a move to a new site until they can ascertain whether they will have access to water and electricity.
Compared to the Rest of the World Americans Are All the 1% @PolicyMic | Courtney Blair

One reason is that our society insults and degrades the American poor population, so that the poor are being pressured and even forced into low standard housing and into high crime areas and into unwanted dead end jobs, while the richer Americans flaunt and parade their riches around so that the poorer citizens know that they are being trashed.

And another example is that the "Occupy" protesters are being forced FORCED out of their tents and out of their homeless condition because the richer Americans do not allow the poorer population to be so seen and exposed to their view.

And the very poor population have such things as a car and cell phone and electronics (and their food too of course as quoted above) then those things do not make the American poor as being in luxury.

So we the greatest country in the world are to lower our standards to those of the rest of the world?

Another participant in the race to the bottom.

Does this actually seem like a reasonable argument to you? That our poor have it better than third world hell hole poor people so they should just shut up?

YES they should SHUT UP and get a JOB!
I grew up using an OUTHOUSE! ONce a week took a bath in a tub filled with hot water heated by a wood cook stove..

I grew up mowing lawns, delivering papers, eating squirrels, working in gardens for our food.. and TODAY

all I would need to do is apply for Free food, free rent, free checks.. Free cell phones!

Come on!
There are everyday jobs coming across my email for everything.. so why do I have no problem at age 68 if I wanted to to get a job?
I mean I could wash dishes just as anyone else!
I could answer phones be a CSR.. like anyone CAN!

YET we have idiots who NEVER EVIDENTLY worked complaining in Occupy etc..!
How totally lazy, Lazy people.. that's all!

boo hoo..crying tears.. for the Poor WEALTHY Poor :eusa_boohoo:Americans!

Jobs in my area just came via EMAIL!!
Every day for last 2 years nearly 8,000 emails most with 6 to 8 jobs offered!
50,000 jobs just in my area if I wanted to apply!
SO what is the Problem???
JOB TITLE LOCATION
Delivery Driver
Delivery Driver
Shift Leader
Holiday 2011
Certified Nursing Assistants
Catering Driver
Direct Placement Recruiter
Grooming Assistant
Occasional Sitter

I grew up using an OUTHOUSE! ONce a week took a bath in a tub filled with hot water heated by a wood cook stove..

I grew up mowing lawns, delivering papers, eating squirrels, working in gardens for our food.. and TODAY

all I would need to do is apply for Free food, free rent, free checks.. Free cell phones!

Come on!
There are everyday jobs coming across my email for everything.. so why do I have no problem at age 68 if I wanted to to get a job?

Boo Hoo? If you were in the situation many Americans find themselves these days with no jobs and no options you would probably shoot yourself.

Something else to be thankful for this holiday season; that even the poorest of our citizens rank in the upper 30% of global income distribution.

Come on!

Just because you grew up in squalor, and apparently you approve of that upbringing, then you still have no right to push that ugly reality onto other Americans who do not want it.

We believe in a better life, and no one wants to accept your low life projection onto American citizens.

One reason is that our society insults and degrades the American poor population, so that the poor are being pressured and even forced into low standard housing and into high crime areas and into unwanted dead end jobs, while the richer Americans flaunt and parade their riches around so that the poorer citizens know that they are being trashed.

And another example is that the "Occupy" protesters are being forced FORCED out of their tents and out of their homeless condition because the richer Americans do not allow the poorer population to be so seen and exposed to their view.

And the very poor population have such things as a car and cell phone and electronics (and their food too of course as quoted above) then those things do not make the American poor as being in luxury.

Who f...king is INSULTING THE POOR???

THE wealthy Poor get free food. Free TV.. Free Internet.
HOW IS THAT INSULTING???

What I am saying is continually feeling "compassion" does ONLY one thing..
MAKES YOU feel better about yourself.. IT doesn't HELP these "wealthy poor" get a job!
All people like you do is continue to make SLAVES of these people to government programs!

You have NO real compassion by feeding someone instead of teaching them how to feed themselves!

Yet people like you castigate Gingrich for instance saying kids could mop floors!
GEEZ why are people like you are so desirous of keeping people in the slavery of lower expectations and government payments?

Over $12 trillion has been spent on the War on Poverty since 1965!
WHY then do we still have "poor" people that can get free cells,free internet, free food, free rent PLUS EIT checks from their government?

VOTES that's why! And that is so disgusting!
I am for people being on their own! Being able to pay their own way!
WHY IS THAT WRONG???

HOW IS THAT INSULTING???

MAKES YOU feel better about yourself.. IT doesn't HELP these "wealthy poor" get a job!
All people like you do is continue to make SLAVES of these people to government programs!

You have NO real compassion by feeding someone instead of teaching them how to feed themselves!

Yet people like you castigate Gingrich for instance saying kids could mop floors!
GEEZ why are people like you are so desirous of keeping people in the slavery of lower expectations and government payments?

WHY then do we still have "poor" people that can get free cells,free internet, free food, free rent PLUS EIT checks from their government?

WHY IS THAT WRONG???

People like your self might call giving Public Assistance to the poorest Americans as "slavery", but people like me want to prevent them from becoming real "slaves" to the likes of your kind.

It is peculiar how you and people like Gingrich wants to end their "slavery" by forcing them into "moping your floors" as if you can not go ahead and mop your own floors, much like your ancestors could have picked their own cotton too - but no.

HOW IS THAT INSULTING???

WHY IS THAT WRONG???

Yep...votes. This is why you hate Democracy... because you can't say fuck you to the poor... which is very obviously your agenda. You want our poor to be just like the fly infested, bloated belly kids you see on the "feed the children" commercials on TV. I swear to God, the "Conservative" agenda is to see how fast we can become one of those countries. You know... a few people at the top controlling everything and the rest of the population with nothing.

There's nothing wrong with wanting people to pay their own way... the thing is... you have to do better(as far as Jobs are concerned), than what they get in Welfare benefits. Because guess what? A single mother cannot AFFORD to take a minimum wage job and pay rent on their own, feed their kid(s), and find someone to watch the kid while she works. She will actually become POORER by working.

HOW IS THAT INSULTING???

WHY IS THAT WRONG???

For every stereotypical "welfare queen" there are many more who are just struggling by with little help from anyone, I know some of them. They go to ridiculous lengths to hide their impoverished status from the world and even other family members, mostly out of fear that the state will take their children away, people like you insure that poverty carries with it a huge freight of shame on top of everything else. Opportunities are not even close to being evenly distributed across the country and moving can be an expensive proposition, so lots of people are stuck in old company towns with no jobs and no way to go anywhere to get one.

Your earlier post described a typical 40-50s Appalachian upbringing, I had some of that too, while you feel it built character in you at some point someone said "I am tired of living like a hillbilly, let's get some indoor plumbing" and life was better. So here you are after coming from such humble beginnings to a better life telling people that they should just settle for a life of poverty in the richest country in world. That they should accept that the ladder to success is closed to them, You should be ashamed.

Obviously, the issue-framing of the 1% versus the 99% has the rich and their lapdogs running scared. Thanks for continuing to provide proof of this, and we will keep up the pressure.

Come on!

Boo Hoo? If you were in the situation many Americans find themselves these days with no jobs and no options you would probably shoot yourself.

"Many Americans"??? "No jobs"??

That is total crap!
There are 131 million people working!
Are there jobs that some people WON"T take? YES!
Are there jobs some people say they are overqualified to do? YES!

That is total crap! If you want a job there is a job for you .. it may not pay what you want.. it may not be the job you would like to do.. BUT I remember my Dad.. who for 25 years worked at a job he hated! Because he was a responsible person with a limited education!
But he did it just as those people BLAMING other people!
Yes boo..hoo... I feel contempt for most unemployed people when there are jobs going begging but these bums are either too good or don't want to work!

boo..hoo... I cut weeds in a ditch. I cleaned toilets! I worked doing jobs I evidently would do because I had some integrity and didn't want to be dependent on anyone!

Come on!

68? Getting Medicare and Social Security?
If a person can't afford health care insurance from the open market they just do not deserve healthcare?

Come on!

"Many Americans"??? "No jobs"??

That is total crap!
There are 131 million people working!
Are there jobs that some people WON"T take? YES!
Are there jobs some people say they are overqualified to do? YES!

That is total crap! If you want a job there is a job for you .. it may not pay what you want.. it may not be the job you would like to do.. BUT I remember my Dad.. who for 25 years worked at a job he hated! Because he was a responsible person with a limited education!
But he did it just as those people BLAMING other people!
Yes boo..hoo... I feel contempt for most unemployed people when there are jobs going begging but these bums are either too good or don't want to work!

boo..hoo... I cut weeds in a ditch. I cleaned toilets! I worked doing jobs I evidently would do because I had some integrity and didn't want to be dependent on anyone!

It must be pretty lonely to be so great in a world full of useless scumbags.

New Topics

Forum List

Back