The weak and the strong

Moi

Sep 2, 2003
The ONLY GOOD place
This is the difference between the weak and the strong. This woman is using some stupid remark as the excuse to drop out of school. Was she forced out? No, she voluntarily left. Someone with half a brain would have stayed in school and worked through it to earn a degree. When I went to college, I was a computer engineering major- one of only a handful of women. Several professors were subtly sexist, a few downright hostile. Once I was told that office hours weren’t to be wasted helping those who should be home taking care of the real students. Did I let that stop me? Did I complain threaten legal action because he wasn’t fired (contrary to this case where the institution actually fired the guy!)? No. I put my nose to the grind stone and got my degree. I got a job. I went to grad school. I’ve been successful in my field and have served with merit on numerous boards and charities. All despite that moron. Then, I became active in alumni functions, fundraising and scholarship programs. I've sent a lot of women to that school as well as supported and honored some fine female professors and administrators. That's the way to change the system and not just line my pockets.

This woman would be better served to get her education, stop whining and show his ass up!

DOBSON, N.C. - A black woman who said a college professor told her she needed to go back to Africa has asked for an apology and said the incident prompted her to drop out of school.

Part-time psychology professor Joe Maye was fired about a month after Beverly Smith, 29, reported that he confronted her about an absence from his class at Surry Community College on Nov. 17.
"He accused me of lying and said 'I need to send you back to Africa.' When I asked him 'What?' He again repeated 'I need to send you back to Africa,'" Smith said in a letter to the Surry County branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (news - web sites).
Smith, a single mother of two, accused the school of acting too slowly to fire Maye and said she might seek compensation for "emotional pain."
No one answered the phone Wednesday at the only number in Surry County listed for Joe Maye.
College president Frank Sells said the investigation began promptly.
"It was treated as a personnel issue," Sells said. "We reviewed our policies. We felt our policies are fine. We have ... no tolerance of discrimination, and we dealt with it immediately."
Sells said the school hasn't received any requests from Smith for further action.
Maye, who is in his 70s, retired several years ago from teaching full time and was teaching last semester on a part-time basis.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&e=9&u=/ap/20040128/ap_on_re_us/racial_remark

I hate that victim attitude. Here's a little story:

Very early in my career, I was in a management training program at a well know computer company. Due to my job, I had access to a great deal of confidential information. During a salary review cycle, I discovered that the men in the training program were paid exactly double what the women were (and this was not THAT many years ago).

I told my boss that I was a bit confused by the compensation structure. He responded with the comment "Men have to pay for entertainment."

I started looking for a new job - and found a much better, higher paying one. There was no way I was going to sit around feeling sorry for myself. It's best just to take responsibility for improving one's own lot in life.

...A case of the weak versus the strong.

The stupid (the woman) versus the ignorant (the professor) is a better analogy. Stupid because the woman assumed the role of helpless victim (this seems epidemic in our society for both genders) and dropping out of school. The smart thing to would have been to suck it up, stay in school and see the professor disgraced for his ignornace.

A much more satisifactory vengeance. It would have required more effort on her part and taken longer, but too many of us have been trained in the art of instant gratification to understand or appreciate such niceties.

Give me a break. That professor was being a jerk by saying that, but no one made her quit school. She did that on here own. I don't know too many people who would do that. Most people would try to stick it out with a jerk professor or take it with another professor (if another one teaches it and in most lower-level courses, there are many). But she let it get to her and quit. Cry me a river.

I prefer the term Energizer Bigot, myself.

He just keeps going and going and going and going......right down a rathole devoid of any intellectual air.

Isn't a definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result?

Forum List

Back