The Warmergate Scandal

Even the hardcore global warmers are having a difficult time coming to terms with these recent events - not so easy to dismiss the words of the very figures within the scientific community responsible for propping up this hoax for the last 20 years...

A couple months ago, the infamous Mann hockey stick, which is perhaps the foundational graphic upon which so much of the global warming myth was built upon, was proven to be a clear example of scientific manipulation of data indication.

From the Anthony Watts website...

__

Update: A zoomed look at the broken hockey stick

Steve McIntyre published an update tonight showing the last 200 years of the Yamal tree ring data versus the archived CRU tree ring data used to make the famous hockey stick. For those just joining us, see the story here.

First here’s the before an after at millennial scale.

Steve McIntyre writes:

The next graphic compares the RCS chronologies from the two slightly different data sets: red – the RCS chronology calculated from the CRU archive (with the 12 picked cores); black – the RCS chronology calculated using the Schweingruber Yamal sample of living trees instead of the 12 picked trees used in the CRU archive. The difference is breathtaking.
__

And here is the difference between Mann's pre-determined outcome science that created the false hockey stick, (red line) and the actual scientific outcome that all but eliminates the spike in temperatures shown by the dubious Mann graph (black line)

It is indeed quite remarkable, and more than sickening - one must assume that such manipulations of data runs rampant within the global warming science community - and the most recent email revelations appear to in fact, confirm that growing belief...

rcs_chronologies_rev2.gif

I went through some nasty winters, when I was a kid and frankly, I was looking forward to gobal warming. This is truly depressing. We will be over run by Canadians trying to escape the mountains of ice from this coming ice age.

On a serious note, if this is true, the repercussions will be monumental.

I went through some nasty winters, when I was a kid and frankly, I was looking forward to gobal warming. This is truly depressing. We will be over run by Canadians trying to escape the mountains of ice from this coming ice age.

On a serious note, if this is true, the repercussions will be monumental.

When I was young we use to joke about the ocean front property in AZ ... you know what ... I'm glad we didn't take that too seriously or I'd be broke right now.

This is even better than 450 peer reviewed skeptic articles. Now all they need is hacked emails from Hansen to complete the circle.

When Goldman Sachs is using this as the basis of their next bubble you know it is a well financed hoax.

My vote is to round them all up and ship them off to North Waziristan.

Getting big play today in WaPo, emphasis on the fact that 'peer-review-articles' seem neigh impossible for those that disagree to get:

washingtonpost.com

In the trenches on climate change, hostility among foes
Stolen e-mails reveal venomous feelings toward skeptics
By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, November 22, 2009

Electronic files that were stolen from a prominent climate research center and made public last week provide a rare glimpse into the behind-the-scenes battle to shape the public perception of global warming.

While few U.S. politicians bother to question whether humans are changing the world's climate -- nearly three years ago the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change concluded the evidence was unequivocal -- public debate persists. And the newly disclosed private exchanges among climate scientists at Britain's Climate Research Unit of the University of East Anglia reveal an intellectual circle that appears to feel very much under attack, and eager to punish its enemies.

In one e-mail, the center's director, Phil Jones, writes Pennsylvania State University's Michael E. Mann and questions whether the work of academics that question the link between human activities and global warming deserve to make it into the prestigious IPCC report, which represents the global consensus view on climate science.

"I can't see either of these papers being in the next IPCC report," Jones writes. "Kevin and I will keep them out somehow -- even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is!"

In another, Jones and Mann discuss how they can pressure an academic journal not to accept the work of climate skeptics with whom they disagree. "Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal," Mann writes.

"I will be emailing the journal to tell them I'm having nothing more to do with it until they rid themselves of this troublesome editor," Jones replies.

Patrick Michaels, a senior fellow at the libertarian Cato Institute who comes under fire in the e-mails, said these same academics repeatedly criticized him for not having published more peer-reviewed papers...

Why the fuck does is this thread a sticky?

Honestly I don't know ...

.... and don't give a flying fuck.

I do. But only because I prefer to maintain the illusion that Gunny keeps this place as unbiasedly moderated as possible.
How is reporting news of a glaringly evident scandal, about shamelessly biased people -who are literally trying to run how the world's industrialized nations fuel their prosperity-biased, in and of itself?

IM not-at-all HO this scandal is every bit as big as Watergate.

Besides all that, neither you nor Ravi ever comment on this general topic to begin with, so what's it to you anyways?

Sure it's a flame thread.

It's also not as important as you seem to think.

It could show that there are some unscrupulous scientists and if that is so they should be booted out of their jobs at the very least.

It could show that a hacker with an agenda is the one being unscrupulous, and criminal, btw, and if so he should be arrested.

It's also a conspiracy theory...the belief that 90% of scientists are colluding in some worldwide conspiracy.

:rofl:

It could show that a hacker with an agenda is the one being unscrupulous, and criminal, btw, and if so he should be arrested.
I see you've also failed to read the piece in the OP, where it's clearly stated, and has been reiterated in big red letters, that that it's an insider who rolled over and not an outside hacker who leaked these e-mails.

But I've decided to be a little sensitive and overlook these little failures on your part, and not speculate on why that is.

Sure it's a flame thread.

It's also not as important as you seem to think.

It could show that there are some unscrupulous scientists and if that is so they should be booted out of their jobs at the very least.

It's also a conspiracy theory...the belief that 90% of scientists are colluding in some worldwide conspiracy.

:rofl:

:rolleyes:

Do you remember the hockeystick graph? You realize that the numbers that were used to plot that graph were altered?

You realize that information was deleted so that it would not be found when the FOIA was invoked? That's a crime.

You realize that this is looking more and more like an inside job from a disgruntled emplyee or someone that was fed up?

Sorry Rav, just try to imagine the repercussions from this. How much of a gigantic scandal would this be if the LSM would actually do their fucking job instead of covering everything up for their lib buddies...

But guess what? The internet is becoming even more powerful and important. for too long, the LSm has been hiding the truth and twisting facts to suit their moonbat agenda, and now more and more people are using the intrernet and seeing for themselves what is happening. Pretty soon the LSm will be found in history books only.

Now if we can only get the stupid lib academics to stop trying to rewrite said history books, we'll be fine. :lol:

A couple months ago, the infamous Mann hockey stick, which is perhaps the foundational graphic upon which so much of the global warming myth was built upon, was proven to be a clear example of scientific manipulation of data indication.

From the Anthony Watts website...

__

Update: A zoomed look at the broken hockey stick

Steve McIntyre published an update tonight showing the last 200 years of the Yamal tree ring data versus the archived CRU tree ring data used to make the famous hockey stick. For those just joining us, see the story here.

First here’s the before an after at millennial scale.

Steve McIntyre writes:

The next graphic compares the RCS chronologies from the two slightly different data sets: red – the RCS chronology calculated from the CRU archive (with the 12 picked cores); black – the RCS chronology calculated using the Schweingruber Yamal sample of living trees instead of the 12 picked trees used in the CRU archive. The difference is breathtaking.
__

And here is the difference between Mann's pre-determined outcome science that created the false hockey stick, (red line) and the actual scientific outcome that all but eliminates the spike in temperatures shown by the dubious Mann graph (black line)

It is indeed quite remarkable, and more than sickening - one must assume that such manipulations of data runs rampant within the global warming science community - and the most recent email revelations appear to in fact, confirm that growing belief...

rcs_chronologies_rev2.gif

Regarding 'Mann' and hockey stick. There's a link to download all the emails at site:

Download The Entire Leaked Climate Docs

Download The Entire Leaked Climate Emails
Joe Weisenthal|Nov. 21, 2009, 3:51 PM | 1,467 |14
Print
Tags: Global Warming, Scandals
It's now been confirmed that the allegedly leaked emails of top climate scientists are, in which they express some reservations about the info they present to the public, are, in fact, real.

If you're interested, you can download the entire, monster .zip file at Wikileaks.

Karl Denninger, in his enthusiastic manner (which we mean in a good way), has been going through the emails, and plucking out interesting bits:

Contained within the documents are what appear to be admissions of intentional tampering with data as well as intentional falsification of results to "show" man-made global warming.

One of the emails says:

"I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline."

That is, to hide a decline in global temperatures.

It gets better. Another message, this one allegedly from 2000:

It was good to see you again yesterday - if briefly. One particular thing you said - and we agreed - was about the IPCC reports and the broader climate negotiations were working to the globalisation agenda driven by organisations like the WTO. So my first question is do you have anything written or published, or know of anything particularly on this subject, which talks about this in more detail?

Oh, so it's not about the planet getting warmer, but rather is a convenient means of advancing an agenda that has already been pre-determined?

Then there's this:

In my (perhaps too
> > harsh)
> > view, there have been a number of dishonest presentations of model
> > results by individual authors and by IPCC. This is why I still use
> > results from MAGICC to compare with observed temperatures. At least
> > here I can assess how sensitive matches are to sensitivity and
> > forcing assumptions/uncertainties.

(Pardon the formatting, it's text-mode email 'yanno.)

Guess who that was addressed to? Michael Mann. You know, the (infamous and now discredited) "Mann Hockey Stick"?

Guess where that email originated? NASA.

Read the whole thing >

A blog from October indicating a scandal regarding the IPCC collusion to skew the actual temperature data - which in turn skewed the entire man-made global warming debate...

____

The Hockey Stick Global Warming Scandal: Did The IPCC Encourage Scientific Fraud? Did The IPCC Ignore More Comprehensive Research?

Read here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here for background information on the latest developments of this climate science scandal. Based on available information, are we witnessing a massive scientific fraud endeavor that has UN backing? If you do not have......

time to review these links, here's a brief summary of this science scandal/fraud:

There appears to be a tight-knit group of paleo-climate scientists who have chosen to pursue research that would make the Medieval Warming Period and Little Ice Age disappear and accentuate warming in the 20th century. Of all the peer-reviewed studies that have been done to reconstruct historical temperatures, this group of scientists decided that a Northern Siberian (Yamal peninsula) tree ring study best fit their needs. Out of the 2,000 trees in the Yamal study, the paleo-climate scientists picked some dozen individual tree ring records that best produced the desired result - no Medieval Warming, no Little Ice Age, and a lot of warming in the 20th century. These dozen trees produced the visual 'hockey stick' result that global warming alarmists rely on for proof. Literally, the whole UN alarmist basis for climate catastrophe and "unprecedented" warming seems to be a result of these dozen trees that are used in every study that this same group of scientists publish.

The fact that these same one-dozen trees show up in study-after-study is simply amazing. Even more amazing is that the UN's IPCC ignored multiple paleo-climate studies, from approximately the same latitudinal area, that totally refute the 'dozen-tree' conclusions. Below are some of those peer-reviewed studies:

Southeastern Shelf of the Laptev Sea, Arctic Ocean - Studied the distributions of different species of siliceous microflora (diatoms), calcareous microfauna (foraminifers) and spore-pollen assemblages found in sediment cores retrieved from 21 sites on the inner shelf of the southern and eastern Laptev Sea... In addition, "judging from the increased diversity and abundance of the benthic foraminifers, the appearance of moderately thermophilic diatom species, and the presence of forest tundra (instead of tundra) pollen," they write that "the Medieval warming exceeded the recent 'industrial' one."
Northern Russian Treeline, Russia - This work revealed, in their words, that "temperature increases over the past century are already producing demonstrable changes in the population density of trees, but these changes have not yet generated an extension of conifer species' limits to or beyond the former positions occupied during the Medieval Warm Period (MWP: ca AD 800-1300)..."
Bol'shoi Avam River, Putoran Plateau, North Central Siberia, Russia - The authors developed a history of trunk radial growth increment of larch trees in the middle reaches of the Bol'shoi Avam River on the northern edge of the Putoran Plateau, central Taimyr for the period AD 886-2003, which they found to be correlated with summer air temperature. This work revealed a period of time from the start of the record to approximately AD 1200, when inferred temperatures were generally much greater than those of the final decades of the 20th century.
Polar Ural Mountains, Russia - This work revealed that "a large number of well-preserved tree remains can be found up to 60-80 meters above the current tree line, some dating to as early as a maximum of 1300 years ago," and that "the earliest distinct maximum in stand density occurred in the 11th to 13th centuries, coincident with Medieval climatic warming." Since Marzepa cites many studies that conclude that "increases in tree-line elevation, and associated increases in tree abundance within the transient tree-line ecotone, are associated with extended warm periods," and that "the vertical gradient of summer air temperature in the Polar Urals is 0.7°C/100 m," we conclude that the Medieval Warm Period lasted from approximately AD 700 to 1300 and that significant portions of it were as much as 0.56°C warmer than the Current Warm Period.
Lake Lehmilampi, Eastern Finland - The authors extracted two sediment cores from Lake Lehmilampi in eastern Finland, after which they identified and counted the approximately 2000 annual varves contained in each core and measured their individual thicknesses and mineral and organic matter contents......Consequently, because they note that (1) "the thinnest varves of the last 2000 years were deposited during [the] solar activity maxima in the Middle Ages," specifically AD 1060-1280, that (2) the low deposition rate of mineral matter in that period "implies mild winters with a short ice cover period during that time with minor snow accumulation interrupted by thawing periods," and that (3) the concurrent "low accumulation of organic matter suggests a long open water season and a high decomposition rate of organic matter," it follows that the solar-induced Medieval Warm Period of AD 1060-1280 in that part of the world was likely the warmest period of the past two millennia.
Finland's Southern Boreal Forest, Near Savonlinna, Finland - The authors applied x-ray microdensitometry to subfossil samples of Scots pine trees collected from the bottom sediments of six small lakes within the southern boreal forest zone near the city of Savonlinna in south-eastern Finland, which covered the period AD 673-1788. This work revealed the occurrence of both the Medieval Warm Period (AD 975-1150) and the Little Ice Age (AD 1450-1625), between which periods there was a dramatic decline in tree-ring maximum density, indicative of a significant drop in summer growing-season temperature.
Voring Plateau, Eastern Norwegian Sea - August surface temperatures of the eastern Norwegian Sea's Voring Plateau were derived from planktic stable isotopes and foraminiferal assemblage concentrations. The Medieval Warm Period occurred between AD 1200 and 1500 and was as much as 3.3°C warmer than the Current Warm Period.
From what is known, it appears that the IPCC condoned the type of research that the dozen-tree Yamal research represents. The IPCC has relied on this very exclusive dozen-tree history, while totally ignoring more encompassing research (see above), which reveals an incredible lack of scientific due diligence. As a result, the UN's IPCC has obviously done monumental damage to global science credibility. Simply amazing.

C3: The Hockey Stick Global Warming Scandal: Did The IPCC Encourage Scientific Fraud? Did The IPCC Ignore More Comprehensive Research?

I see you've also failed to read the piece in the OP, where it's clearly stated, and has been reiterated in big red letters, that that it's an insider who rolled over and not an outside hacker who leaked these e-mails.

But I've decided to be a little sensitive and overlook these little failures on your part, and not speculate on why that is.
An insider is still a hacker when he or she takes from his employer, D'uh.

An interesting question posed at Free Republic - should Al Gore and all conspirators be brought up on charges? Hmmmmm....
___

With the global warming scandal- will Al Gore now be brought up on charges?

Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 2:19:58 PM by sadsacke

With all of the breaking news regarding the global warming/climate change scam- is there a possibility Al Gore could be imprisoned the way Bernie Madoff was? I don't see much difference in what the two men have done.

With the global warming scandal- will Al Gore now be brought up on charges?

A hacker is, by definition, someone who doesn't have authorized internal access.

Computer Hacking Law & Legal Definition

An insider who downloaded and leaked the e-mails and files does not fall under that definition.

A hacker is, by definition, someone who doesn't have authorized internal access.

An insider who downloaded and leaked the e-mails and files does not fall under that definition.

Ravi is such a complete dolt...

Uh huh...who has access to everyone's emails? Probably the boss and the IT department...and the IT department doesn't have the legal right to leak internal documents. So unless it is the boss, it is a hacker.

Forum List

Back