The War on Tubbies...NY Soda Ban

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
The nanny state knows what's best for you..SUBMIT to their control whether you want to or not, yup, just a another signpost on the road to liberal utopia and servitude.

-----------------------------:smoke:

The New York City Board of Health on Thursday approved Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s controversial proposal to ban the sale of large sugary drinks in restaurants and other venues, a sweeping initiative that backers hope will reduce obesity and critics decry as government run amok.

Beginning March 12, the city will prohibit restaurants, mobile food carts, delis and concessions at movie theaters, stadiums or arenas from selling sugary drinks in cups or containers larger than 16 ounces. The city will begin fining sellers for violating the ban in mid-June.

The proposal passed by a vote of eight to zero, with one abstention, one absence and one vacancy on the board. Dr. Thomas Farley, the board’s chairman, called the vote “historic.”

NYC Board of Health Passes 'Soda Ban' - Metropolis - WSJ

So for all you moms out there that bought the large tub of popcorn and the large soda and brought those little paper bags and paper cups to save money, forget about it.

Exactly how is banning a 32oz soda going to reduce obesity?

Just like any feel good type of nanny state tripe, it doesnt matter if it works, only that the "concerned" look like they are doing something.

All i think when I see things like that is people like Mike Bloomberg must think we are too stupid to take care of ourselves.

And to be open, I've lost 30 lbs since the end of May 2012 by using wieght watchers. One would think I would appriciate Mikey B for trying to help me, but crap like this flies in the face of a free society.

Exactly how is banning a 32oz soda going to reduce obesity?

Just like any feel good type of nanny state tripe, it doesnt matter if it works, only that the "concerned" look like they are doing something.

All i think when I see things like that is people like Mike Bloomberg must think we are too stupid to take care of ourselves.

And to be open, I've lost 30 lbs since the end of May 2012 by using wieght watchers. One would think I would appriciate Mikey B for trying to help me, but crap like this flies in the face of a free society.

The real answer is: it doesn't reduce obesity. Can't order a 32oz?, just buy two 16oz ... for more money of course. They'll come after the 16oz next when they realize this ban doesn't do squat ... then they'll just ban soda all together because we are too stoopid to not drink soda, we must have uncle nanny tell us.

Just read an article that Philly usually follows these types of NY bans ... trans fat, smoking in restaurants, etc. These control freaks should be shot.

Mike Bloomberg isn't a "liberal".

But he is a progressive. You can tell by the way he loves using government to get people to do what he wants.

The citizens of NY who self-identify as "liberals" or "progressives" didn't vote for Bloomberg - they voted for the Democrat who ran against him.

The centrists, Republicans, and self-identified "conservatives" are the ones who elected Bloomberg.

He most certainly is, regardless of what letter is next to his name.

"liberal" isn't a catch-all phrase that includes everything that you don't like.

Every time that Bloomberg has ran for Mayor, he's run on the "Republican" ballot line. He's always been the "righty" candidate.

But he is a progressive. You can tell by the way he loves using government to get people to do what he wants.

The citizens of NY who self-identify as "liberals" or "progressives" didn't vote for Bloomberg - they voted for the Democrat who ran against him.

The centrists, Republicans, and self-identified "conservatives" are the ones who elected Bloomberg.

More of them did than you think, or how did he win in NYC?

Most New Yorkers who remember the bad days of the 80's and early 90's still havent grown to trust a Democratic mayor to keep crime in the city down, even if it doesnt make sense.

He's a law and order liberal. Why else does he love using government edicts to play with his pet projects?

NYC isn't as "liberal" as you guys seem to think. Just like everywhere else in the world, MOST people don't really care about politics.

Bloomberg won the same way that most incumbents win - by being the incumbent.

Most New Yorkers who remember the bad days of the 80's and early 90's still havent grown to trust a Democratic mayor to keep crime in the city down, even if it doesnt make sense.
What do you base your view of what "Most New Yorkers" think on?

He's a law and order liberal. Why else does he love using government edicts to play with his pet projects?
Once again, the term "liberal" has a specific meaning - and that meaning isn't "everything you don't like".

He most certainly is, regardless of what letter is next to his name.

"liberal" isn't a catch-all phrase that includes everything that you don't like.

Every time that Bloomberg has ran for Mayor, he's run on the "Republican" ballot line. He's always been the "righty" candidate.

Liberals/progressives are nanny state enthusiasts and this ban fits right in with that mindset. A lib cloaked as a Republican/independent is still a lib. :eusa_shhh:

NYC isn't as "liberal" as you guys seem to think. Just like everywhere else in the world, MOST people don't really care about politics.

Bloomberg won the same way that most incumbents win - by being the incumbent.

What do you base your view of what "Most New Yorkers" think on?

Once again, the term "liberal" has a specific meaning - and that meaning isn't "everything you don't like".

I base my experience on living in NYC during the bad old days, and currently, and discussions I have with similar people.

Yes, he may not be as liberal or progressive as others, but what is he then? I dont see nanny state health laws as exactly being libertarian. Progressives believe in bettering people and society through government regulation. Thats what he is trying to do

Forum List

Back