The War On Marriage

The tables have been turned in our society to the point where if you say you're married and support the institution you're an outcast. ..

:confused: Who told you that?

Comments at The Republican Party of Texas Really Hates Gay People| News | Towleroad

The Republican party will become irrelevant if they refuse to change. Demographics show this. Give the country 20 years and if the GOP still spews this garbage they will be reduced to a regional party.

Posted by: Brian B. | Jun 26, 2012 7:50:11 PM

And this was an improvement over their last platform which was even more anti-gay. It tells you how bigoted Texas Republicans are when you consider that THIS was their kinder gentler version.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 26, 2012 7:55:04 PM

oh if they could just get away with stating what they really think of african americans, hispanics, the role of women in society, and the poor......

We gays are simply the only punching bag theyve got left that the rethugs can actually smack blatantly

Posted by: stevenelliot | Jun 26, 2012 7:58:58 PM

The Texas Republican platform is a MAJOR insult to "Judeo-Christian values."

Is it any wonder that we've come to equate "Christian" with "hater"? A "Christian" who believes the drivel in that platform IS a hater, by definition.

Yikes, gosh, if the Christian friends I have were like THAT, well...they wouldn't be very Christian. Or my friends.

This whole obliterate-gay-people thing will do be the deathknell for Republican party...one of these days. Or else it's a dirtier, uglier, and meaner world than I'd prefer, which is possible too, unfortunately.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Jun 26, 2012 7:59:39 PM

But..but...but, I thought both political parties were really the same when it comes to gays and it's only the FRINGE of the GOP who was homophobic! That's what some posters here and GOProud keep saying! You mean that isn't true?!

/sarcasm

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 26, 2012 8:04:57 PM

This will read like a KKK writing in another 50 years. Perhaps less even.

Posted by: Drew | Jun 26, 2012 8:13:19 PM

Nothing makes me more proud of being a lifelong Texan than Gay being decriminalized as a result of my state losing Lawrence v. Texas at the Supreme Court in 2003.

Nothing... except when I think how much the repugs must hate that!

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 26, 2012 8:15:48 PM

Wow. Bigotry and hatred right out there for everyone to see -- no window dressing, no playing hide-n-seek, no dog whistling, no shame. Just straight up hate, proudly shown to all the world. This statement will be taught in textbooks someday -- someday soon -- as an example of how fascist lunacy killed the GOP.

Posted by: kit | Jun 26, 2012 8:19:57 PM

Wouldn't it be great if all states felt like this? We could re-examine being gay again and dump the heterosexual model. That's how it was not such a short time ago. We could go back to being hairdressers, and interior designers. All this gay acceptance has been manufactured. This much hate can only harm us. And it will. Watch.

Posted by: Calvin | Jun 26, 2012 8:26:52 PM

P��ssies. If they aren't seeking the death penalty for adulterers (Leviticus 20:10), then they aren't really committed to God's word. They're just unworthy little posers.

Well it's not good enough! God sees through their cowardly, counterfeit piety, and He will delight in condemning them to suffer unimaginable torture and incineration for all of eternity!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: JJ | Jun 26, 2012 8:28:24 PM

And this is surprising because...?

Posted by: VoenixRising | Jun 26, 2012 8:40:51 PM

Not as much as I hate them.

Posted by: DanSwon | Jun 26, 2012 8:42:04 PM

If you want links.......

Republicans Hate Gays | Republicans Hate Gays

The Republican Party of Texas Really Hates Gay People| News | Towleroad

Where was the part indicating that you are an outcast if you are married? :confused:

big-family.jpg

If you want to bring down a society the quickest way is to attack the most important element of that society. Marriage.

I know this is old fashioned to think this way but that's my point. Marriage isn't what it used to be. It even has become an object of scorn by the left.

"Having to get married before getting pregnant? Are you kidding me???"

I used to think that white middle-class 50-60 year old males were the most hated group in America, but really the one group that is the focus of the most bigotry is the family unit. It's just not cool to be married. Marriage holds women back. In some people's minds it is the same as slavery.

It's easy for some to be married and still be highly critical of it. Being married is a pain in the butt. I think the best way to punish someone is to force them to marry someone they don't want to or to be forced into marriage because of a pregnancy. Gays want to be able to marry but the Gay activists show a palatable disdain for straight couples. The tables have been turned in our society to the point where if you say you're married and support the institution you're an outcast. What is normal has been redefined.

Having children out of wedlock is the quickest road to poverty. Kids are expensive and having only one income just isn't enough to make ends meet. It almost assures that you will become dependent one way or another on governmental assistance. So in effect government stands in the way of the family being a successful enterprise. For decades single mothers have been encouraged to stay single with cash handouts from Uncle Sugar.

Pictured above is a large family. Many find fault in this. Many assumptions can be made of the family pictured. 50 years ago this was normal in America. Now having one or two kids is the norm, at least among whites. Having children isn't the reason one gets married anymore. You don't need to make the commitment. Funny thing is there are reasons the old ways worked better. Pooling resources is the best way to get ahead or at least keep your head above water.

What the OP clearly fails to realize is that there is no ‘war on marriage,’ and no one wishes to ‘bring down’ society.

This is just more of the mindless social conservative claptrap that only fuels the Culture War, keeps Americans divided, and allows actual issues to go un-addressed.

If you take the leftist political orientation to its furthest conclusion (quite far way off) it is anti-family.

I grew up in the 60s and most families had four to six kids, mom stayed at home and dad supported the family on one income. Divorce was rare

What happened?

Birth Control: Family planning became the norm and women did not get pregnant every other year

Women started to work: More good paying career fields opened up to women. They no longer had to stay in unhappy marriages for financial reasons

Divorce lost its stigma: You were no longer a marked woman if you divorced

The standard of living declined: Dad could no longer support a family on a blue collar income. It went from mom can work if she wants, to mom HAS to work.

You just nailed it.

that is more a result of people wanting more than just what they need.

Years ago, it was about necessities.

One income can afford necessities. The second income is required so they can afford wants.

Wrong. Just so wrong. Yes, one person can live well on my income. But one person trying to live and support a family on entry level income will be in real trouble. Around here, a low rent on anything at all is $1000 a month. $10 an hour gets you $1600 a month. And no health care on minimum wages. Then there are utilities, and something to eat.

When I entered the work force in the '60's, I started a entry level in an industrial setting. Worked a lot of overtime. The same year, my parents bought a large old house. What they paid for that house was equal to what I made that year. Today, a small dilapidated old house costs 3 to 4 times what an entry level worker makes.

The first apartment I rented as a single young man cost me about 1/2 of a weeks wages. Times have changed for the worse for those entering the work force with only a high school degree.

big-family.jpg

If you want to bring down a society the quickest way is to attack the most important element of that society. Marriage.

I know this is old fashioned to think this way but that's my point. Marriage isn't what it used to be. It even has become an object of scorn by the left.

I used to think that white middle-class 50-60 year old males were the most hated group in America, but really the one group that is the focus of the most bigotry is the family unit. It's just not cool to be married. Marriage holds women back. In some people's minds it is the same as slavery.

It's easy for some to be married and still be highly critical of it. Being married is a pain in the butt. I think the best way to punish someone is to force them to marry someone they don't want to or to be forced into marriage because of a pregnancy. Gays want to be able to marry but the Gay activists show a palatable disdain for straight couples. The tables have been turned in our society to the point where if you say you're married and support the institution you're an outcast. What is normal has been redefined.

Having children out of wedlock is the quickest road to poverty. Kids are expensive and having only one income just isn't enough to make ends meet. It almost assures that you will become dependent one way or another on governmental assistance. So in effect government stands in the way of the family being a successful enterprise. For decades single mothers have been encouraged to stay single with cash handouts from Uncle Sugar.

Pictured above is a large family. Many find fault in this. Many assumptions can be made of the family pictured. 50 years ago this was normal in America. Now having one or two kids is the norm, at least among whites. Having children isn't the reason one gets married anymore. You don't need to make the commitment. Funny thing is there are reasons the old ways worked better. Pooling resources is the best way to get ahead or at least keep your head above water.

What the OP clearly fails to realize is that there is no ‘war on marriage,’ and no one wishes to ‘bring down’ society.

This is just more of the mindless social conservative claptrap that only fuels the Culture War, keeps Americans divided, and allows actual issues to go un-addressed.

If you take the leftist political orientation to its furthest conclusion (quite far way off) it is anti-family.

Really? Explain yourself.

Really? Explain yourself.

It's right there in the Manifesto.

If you take your statement to any conclusion...it is bovine feces.

It's all there in black and white. You got a problem with that, take it up with Karl.

Ahhhh...You're talking about some fantasy "leftist" you made up in your head. Don't do what your Rice Crispies tell you to, okay?

big-family.jpg

First you say it's not happening, then you say it is.

Make up your mind Sybil.

:confused: Who told you that?

Comments at The Republican Party of Texas Really Hates Gay People| News | Towleroad

The Republican party will become irrelevant if they refuse to change. Demographics show this. Give the country 20 years and if the GOP still spews this garbage they will be reduced to a regional party.

Posted by: Brian B. | Jun 26, 2012 7:50:11 PM

And this was an improvement over their last platform which was even more anti-gay. It tells you how bigoted Texas Republicans are when you consider that THIS was their kinder gentler version.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 26, 2012 7:55:04 PM

oh if they could just get away with stating what they really think of african americans, hispanics, the role of women in society, and the poor......

We gays are simply the only punching bag theyve got left that the rethugs can actually smack blatantly

Posted by: stevenelliot | Jun 26, 2012 7:58:58 PM

The Texas Republican platform is a MAJOR insult to "Judeo-Christian values."

Is it any wonder that we've come to equate "Christian" with "hater"? A "Christian" who believes the drivel in that platform IS a hater, by definition.

Yikes, gosh, if the Christian friends I have were like THAT, well...they wouldn't be very Christian. Or my friends.

This whole obliterate-gay-people thing will do be the deathknell for Republican party...one of these days. Or else it's a dirtier, uglier, and meaner world than I'd prefer, which is possible too, unfortunately.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Jun 26, 2012 7:59:39 PM

But..but...but, I thought both political parties were really the same when it comes to gays and it's only the FRINGE of the GOP who was homophobic! That's what some posters here and GOProud keep saying! You mean that isn't true?!

/sarcasm

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 26, 2012 8:04:57 PM

This will read like a KKK writing in another 50 years. Perhaps less even.

Posted by: Drew | Jun 26, 2012 8:13:19 PM

Nothing makes me more proud of being a lifelong Texan than Gay being decriminalized as a result of my state losing Lawrence v. Texas at the Supreme Court in 2003.

Nothing... except when I think how much the repugs must hate that!

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 26, 2012 8:15:48 PM

Wow. Bigotry and hatred right out there for everyone to see -- no window dressing, no playing hide-n-seek, no dog whistling, no shame. Just straight up hate, proudly shown to all the world. This statement will be taught in textbooks someday -- someday soon -- as an example of how fascist lunacy killed the GOP.

Posted by: kit | Jun 26, 2012 8:19:57 PM

Wouldn't it be great if all states felt like this? We could re-examine being gay again and dump the heterosexual model. That's how it was not such a short time ago. We could go back to being hairdressers, and interior designers. All this gay acceptance has been manufactured. This much hate can only harm us. And it will. Watch.

Posted by: Calvin | Jun 26, 2012 8:26:52 PM

P��ssies. If they aren't seeking the death penalty for adulterers (Leviticus 20:10), then they aren't really committed to God's word. They're just unworthy little posers.

Well it's not good enough! God sees through their cowardly, counterfeit piety, and He will delight in condemning them to suffer unimaginable torture and incineration for all of eternity!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: JJ | Jun 26, 2012 8:28:24 PM

And this is surprising because...?

Posted by: VoenixRising | Jun 26, 2012 8:40:51 PM

Not as much as I hate them.

Posted by: DanSwon | Jun 26, 2012 8:42:04 PM

If you want links.......

Republicans Hate Gays | Republicans Hate Gays

The Republican Party of Texas Really Hates Gay People| News | Towleroad

Where was the part indicating that you are an outcast if you are married? :confused:

That's not what you asked. You asked who told us that anyone who supports traditional marriage comes under attack.

Try to keep focused.

big-family.jpg

A family with 15 kids was never considered "normal". A woman is more than the life support system for a uterus.

So is it "War on Marriage" delusion time. I thought we were in "War on Christmas" season?

big-family.jpg

A family with 15 kids was never considered "normal". A woman is more than the life support system for a uterus.

So is it "War on Marriage" delusion time. I thought we were in "War on Christmas" season?

I think you ran out of toes. I see 17.......and that isn't the point........but I guess I'm wasting my time explaining it to you.

big-family.jpg

Marriage is not so easily defined. Marriage is whatever the people involved wish it to be. The choice of what that might be belongs in the hands of the people who wish to be married. That marriage may not be what you would choose for yourself. However, if you were in a marriage that I would not choose for me and told you it was wrong, I suspect you would tell me where I could stick my opinion. And you would be right in doing so, because it is none of my business. But that is a two-way street. You should not be able to define marriage for others any more than others should be able to define it for you.

big-family.jpg

I think you ran out of toes. I see 17.......and that isn't the point........but I guess I'm wasting my time explaining it to you.

Oh, yeah, that makes it better... by all means, some funditard freaks mistaking a vagina for a clown car is definitely the way to go. Somehow, I supsect this family gets big subsidies from the government.

The point you are trying to make, I guess, is that everyone should embrace YOUR notion of what constitutes a family. Because if you say it has other forms, well, then, that's just making war on our idea of what it should be.

Look, guy, the days of you pulling this "they're out to get you" shit are coming to an end. YOu can keep playing the religion card, the race card and the homophobia cards all day.

But people are realizing the only real separation is between the rich and the rest of us.

It isn't marriage specifically that progressive want to destroy. It's the family. Encouraging divorce is a necessary part of this vital job.

The only person destroying your family is you. Don't blame that shit on other people.

That's not what you asked. You asked who told us that anyone who supports traditional marriage comes under attack.

Try to keep focused.

I was very clear in what I asked you.

How many wars is that for the US at the moment?
War on Marriage
War on Terror
Afghanistan
War on Women
War on Christmas
War on The Church
War on The Constitution

I'm sure there's more, but I'm tired now.
Surely the US is the most warring country in history.

Yup there are many.

War on Hunger
War on Drugs

Forum List

Back