The War on Christmas...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
...IS a canard perpetrated by right wing-nuts who lack the ability to engage in any sort of substantive debate about more pressing issues.

First, in 1921, it was Henry Ford proclaiming a war on Christmas was part of a world-wide Jewish conspiracy to subvert Christmas, Easter and other Christian holy-days. This was described in his tract "The International Jew".

In 1959, the John Birch Society changed things a bit. Instead of a world-wide Jewish conspiracy to subvert Christian ideals in America, a Communist plot to "Drive Christ out of Christmas..." was proclaimed by the Birchers. And the key player in this assault on Christmas was "...the Godless UN...".

Nowadays, we have right-wing waterheads like Bill O'Reilly, John Gibson, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, et al, revealing a new enemy out to destroy Christmas and Christian ideals. It's (GASP!) SECULAR HUMANISTS! These Godless heathens are out to remove every last shred of Christianity from America...Not that it's really going to happen.

Christianity has greater enemies within its own ranks though. From the snake-oil salesmen touting their cheesy "prosperity theology" to the televangelists preaching to the enthralled masses in their glitzy mega-churches, these have done more to undermine Christ's message than any "secular humanist" conspiracy. Instead of servants teaching the word of Christ to those who come seeking His comfort, these "preachers" have created their own cults of personality dedicated more to their own self-aggrandizement than Christ's message. The secular power they have gained from a religious base has stripped them of their humility before God and, as a result, the message they preach is not God's, it is their own.

So, before folks go pointing fingers at "secular humanists" for a non-existent war on Christmas, perhaps they should look to themselves as the cause, rather than the cure, of their percieved undermining of Christian ideals.

Bullypulpit said:
...IS a canard perpetrated by right wing-nuts who lack the ability to engage in any sort of substantive debate about more pressing issues.

First, in 1921, it was Henry Ford proclaiming a war on Christmas was part of a world-wide Jewish conspiracy to subvert Christmas, Easter and other Christian holy-days. This was described in his tract "The International Jew".

In 1959, the John Birch Society changed things a bit. Instead of a world-wide Jewish conspiracy to subvert Christian ideals in America, a Communist plot to "Drive Christ out of Christmas..." was proclaimed by the Birchers. And the key player in this assault on Christmas was "...the Godless UN...".

Nowadays, we have right-wing waterheads like Bill O'Reilly, John Gibson, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, et al, revealing a new enemy out to destroy Christmas and Christian ideals. It's (GASP!) SECULAR HUMANISTS! These Godless heathens are out to remove every last shred of Christianity from America...Not that it's really going to happen.

Christianity has greater enemies within its own ranks though. From the snake-oil salesmen touting their cheesy "prosperity theology" to the televangelists preaching to the enthralled masses in their glitzy mega-churches, these have done more to undermine Christ's message than any "secular humanist" conspiracy. Instead of servants teaching the word of Christ to those who come seeking His comfort, these "preachers" have created their own cults of personality dedicated more to their own self-aggrandizement than Christ's message. The secular power they have gained from a religious base has stripped them of their humility before God and, as a result, the message they preach is not God's, it is their own.

So, before folks go pointing fingers at "secular humanists" for a non-existent war on Christmas, perhaps they should look to themselves as the cause, rather than the cure, of their percieved undermining of Christian ideals.
Bully ... if you're equating us with anti-semites, you've been chanting too many mantras...
Some of the posters on this board are Jewish, and personally, I have a great friend who is Jewish and wouldn't have her any other way....

BTW... Christianity's greatest threat is from those who seek to subvert it from within and always has been. From the Gnostics, Arians of the 1st and 2nd centuries to "liberation theologists" and those that interpret the Bible to justify homosexuality...

Bullypulpit said:

Agreed--Christianity as described by Jesus had many enemies but he predicted that it would happen. Some of the enemies out external and some are internal and I agree that both should be addressed.

KarlMarx said:
Bully ... if you're equating us with anti-semites, you've been chanting too many mantras...
Some of the posters on this board are Jewish, and personally, I have a great friend who is Jewish and wouldn't have her any other way....

BTW... Christianity's greatest threat is from those who seek to subvert it from within and always has been. From the Gnostics, Arians of the 1st and 2nd centuries to "liberation theologists" and those that interpret the Bible to justify homosexuality...

Your interpretation is flawed. The only anti-semite mentioned or alluded to was Henry Ford. No such generalization was even implied.

Any secularist worth his salt would be taking advantage of Christmas as a time to express his views that religion should be excised from the main stream of society. Your claim that anti-religious efforts to reduce Christmas to a winter party is a canard is bogus.

Bullypulpit said:

christmas is a paid holiday....will you be giving your money back to your place of work in protest?

dilloduck said:
Any secularist worth his salt would be taking advantage of Christmas as a time to express his views that religion should be excised from the main stream of society. Your claim that anti-religious efforts to reduce Christmas to a winter party is a canard is bogus.

Is it?

Bullypulpit said:
It's only a paid holiday if I work it.

good for you.....think all they secular govt employees will give their pay back?

how about the school teachers that won't allow silent night to be sung?

or the dept store employees that won't say the word christmas

Bullypulpit said:
Not really an issue here now, is it?

It is actually. You want to present any perception of anti christian bias in the U.N. as some sort of conspiracy theory. It begs the question: WHat is the attitude of the U.N. towards religion?

SO now that i have proved supreme relevancy, will you just answer the question?

Funny... if you doubt that Jews are oppressed, you're an anti-Semite, a bigot, a racist, a neo-Nazi, a HOLOCAUST DENIER.

But if you believe that Christian culture is oppressed, you're a right-wing waterhead, a snake-oil salesman, a hyperventilist, a bigot, an anti-Semite and probably even a HOLOCAUST DENIER.

Who cares.

It's not about Christmas v. Hannukah. It's about white gentiles v. Jews, and who between us is going to dominate the culture and the politics. It's been that way for 3,000 years. Currently, Jews have hand.

I like the new meme that's out. I've read it on DU too. " Christians are undermining themselves with better sound systems, and congregations we liberals feel are too large, and joel osteen is just too handsome to not be satanic."

Bullypulpit said:

What page of your liberal handbook was that crap on pulit?

Bullypulpit said:

You can't even come here and begin to hussle this liberal line of bull shit to me pulit. I've seen "Merry Christmas" sawed off and gutted out to "happy holidays" with my own eye's and ear's, and in my own life time. It's happened, and that fact knocks your whole damn article and liberal pissing contest into the dirt.

Use the back door when you leave moron. You're an embarrassment to this board. :finger:

Can't remember whose sig this is (was), but it's worth quoting again.

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

For those of you who don't get the relevancy, telling me that there's no war on Christmas when I'm seeing lawsuits to get it suppressed is like pissing on my back, but telling me that it's raining, instead.

had a nice op-ed article by a Jewish writer who pointed out that when she entered "Christmas" on the Target website (Target has been lambasted by O'Reilly and Co. for substituting "holidays" for "Christmas" in some ads), 39,000 items came up. Hardly a war against Christmas, she noted.

Why do Christians--the majority religion in this country--talk like victims? Yes, you were victims of the Romans once, but that was nearly 2000 years ago, and you ended up converting the entire darn Roman empire. Not enough to give you some confidence?

Do people who support public support of one religion's symbols ever take a moment to wonder how they would feel if it was another religion's rather than theirs that surrounded them? Would you like it if I decorated my local city hall with a giant Ganesh statue (an Indian god), or if Hare Krishnas wanted to chant in public schools right after the Christmas carols?

There are several thousand religions in the world. Why privilege one?

As for Christmas being a paid holiday--I'm working it, so that some of my Christian colleagues can have their Holy day off.

Mariner.

Hobbit said:

For those of you who don't get the relevancy, telling me that there's no war on Christmas when I'm seeing lawsuits to get it suppressed is like pissing on my back, but telling me that it's raining, instead.

An individual whacko here or there does not constitute a conspiracy. Can you post some links to ACLU lawsuits to have Christmas removed from retail outlets or other forms of private property? You say above, that you've seen them...show me.

Hobbit said:

It was mine. It was a quote from the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales". I just might re-enter it in my signature again. It's timeless, pithy, and doesn't leave one trying to figure out what it means.

And it was a perfect example of an expression to use in reference to this thread Hobbit. Nice going brother.

Forum List

Back