The War - Ken Burnn' PBS Series

DiogenesDog

Zen Bonobo
May 1, 2006
Wady-Peytona Sector
I am not a fan of Ken Burn in the flesh or hearing him on electronic media. I do find his work is excellent. I have seen his Civil War several times since its initial release in 1990.

I watched Ken Burns' "The War" last evening. It was excellent. I absorbed a lot of WWII from my youth. I was born in Feb. 1945 and had my first portrait made on VJ Day in August of that year. In my town, there was a ton of people I looked up to and I listened to a lot of stories. I was a sponge. When I was 6, we got a Motarola TV. I watched the Korean War and every other conflict that was televised. I also watched Victory at Sea when it was a first run series. I couldn't get enough of it. I was handling a single shot firearm (supervised) at 7. I set off unsupervised by age 10. I lived in a place when that was not a problem. I always knew that I would be in the military. Most of my friends had that same feeling.

I am an advocate of military preparation. I am an advocate of firearms familiarization, safety training and marksmanship. I grew up with all three. They were taught at my school as a visiting program from the Department of Fishing and Wildlife. I went to summer camps when firearms training was available. It was not radical. It was not political. It was the way we lived and grew up in the 1950s. It was not until I was in the military that I met people who had never held a firearm. I was puzzled.

The generation that fought WWII had more freedom with firearms than mine. I find that I am not a Babyboomer. I am the tag end of the generation that fought WWII. I still seek out those people and if I can, I gather their remembrances. I also seek out those who served in the enemy military units and I seek out people who lived in those enemy countries.

I recommend viewing this series to all here. It is important to see how people lived and coped. It is important to see how involved the whole population became. It is a lesson.

We need that level of involvement and commitment in our current conflict. If it is as dangerous as it is being billed then there should be no living soul exempt. Business as usual is not a condition in which something this important should be addressed. It cheapens the cause. It divides the nation along the lines of privilege and susceptibility. It creates its own path to loss and deprivation for all. This not just something I heard or mistakenly concluded. It is a fact of history that come down to us from those who watched Greece disintegrate and become a lost civilization to the west until it was transfered to us by Muslim scholars who established the great institutions of learning in Muslim Iberia.

What you do not know is telling in many instances.

I have a pathological need to know things from people who have first hand knowledge and experiences in a variety of situations.

See the series, The War on PBS.

I AM

Watched it last night as well. I highly recommend it.

Amazingly similar backgrounds, you and I, though I am 5 years behind you.

I cannot name a better film documentarian than Ken Burns. His Civil War series was amazingly thoughtful. I especially thought the interviews with Shelby Foote were excellent. Almost all of the film clips that are in The War I have never seen before. It is too bad that Burns did not make The War back in the 60s when so many important interviews could still have been conducted. Some of the battles in WW2 rivaled the battles of the Civil War in ferocity and the percent of combatant casualties. Tarawa, for example, was beyond horrible. The men who fought there transcended bravery and devotion into a place for which there is no word.

I cannot name a better film documentarian than Ken Burns. His Civil War series was amazingly thoughtful. I especially thought the interviews with Shelby Foote were excellent. Almost all of the film clips that are in The War I have never seen before. It is too bad that Burns did not make The War back in the 60s when so many important interviews could still have been conducted. Some of the battles in WW2 rivaled the battles of the Civil War in ferocity and the percent of combatant casualties. Tarawa, for example, was beyond horrible. The men who fought there transcended bravery and devotion into a place for which there is no word.

My father was recently interviewed by Ken Burns crew for a wwII documentary in production now...

My father was recently interviewed by Ken Burns crew for a wwII documentary in production now...
When I referred to interviews that might have been conducted if the documentary had been made earlier, I was thinking of the older people who were leaders during the war. The interviews that were conducted for the actual documentary were with people that were young during the war, and those interviews are very important.

I wasn't there for any part of WWII but I also thought the film excellent and highly recommend it. I only wish WWII could help explain all these idiotic wars since then!!!!!! I guess it was not the war to end all wars, was it?

I wasn't there for any part of WWII but I also thought the film excellent and highly recommend it. I only wish WWII could help explain all these idiotic wars since then!!!!!! I guess it was not the war to end all wars, was it?
WW1. "The Great War," was known as the "war to end all wars."

So all this WW (World War) stuff is just propaganda and otherwise bullshit?

Surely our leaders would not have continued all that if it was only bullshit, would they?
You make no sense. WW1 was known as the "war to end all wars," not WW2.

You are an idiot. Why else would anyone call either a World War?

Get your history book out and get yourself an understanding of that term, "World War".

And don't piss on your shoes like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If senselessness was money you could retire today. You look in a history book. WW1 was popularly known as the "war to end all wars." Anyone who has ever been in a 20th Century history class knows that, except you. You cannot make even the most minor response without descending into name calling.

• Thanks
Reactions: CSM
The "World War" nomenclature was propaganda in it's design, 1d.

If senselessness was money you could retire today. You look in a history book. WW1 was popularly known as the "war to end all wars." Anyone who has ever been in a 20th Century history class knows that, except you. You cannot have even make the most minor response without descending into name calling.

YOU missed it. Don't blame your ignorance on me, OK? Thanks for the ding. Did you get mine? If it's a game that you desire, I will play.

What the hell?

a war that involves most of the principal nations of the world.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/world war

Seriously psychoblues, do you read what you type? World War One was coined as "the war to end all wars," because of Woodrow Wilson, then President of the US, and his League of Nations. Same theory as the UN in preventing conflict, and conceivably the end to wars on Earth.

By the way, I got that from The American Pageant, my history book from my AP US History class last year. Oh, and common knowledge helped out a bit, too.

Thanks for the ding, shithead. I won't return the favor. I've learned not to be that petty. But, what about this?

What the hell?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/world%20war

Seriously psychoblues, do you read what you type? World War One was coined as "the war to end all wars," because of Woodrow Wilson, then President of the US, and his League of Nations. Same theory as the UN in preventing conflict, and conceivably the end to wars on Earth.

By the way, I got that from The American Pageant, my history book from my AP US History class last year. Oh, and common knowledge helped out a bit, too.

What did the UN have to say about the US War On Iraq? Are you demanding that we have it both ways?

Demanding that we have what both ways? What the UN has to say about the US in Iraq has NOTHING to do with WWI being known as the war to end all wars, and not WWII.

And of course I would have had to be underway while this was airing.... Heard it was good, glad most of you seem to feel that way so I can feel better about investing that many hours in watching it at some point early next year.

New Topics

Forum List

Back