The Walking Dead - Season 7

So what's the over/under on how many more times Negan will almost kill Rick?

The soap opera format brought to primetime was an unfortunate development. It's kind of a geezerish thing to say but I think the bygone days of tv were better when each show in a series was its own standalone story. One hour with a beginning middle and end.

Multi-episode storylines allow for much greater depth. They also allow for much greater disappointment. :dunno:

Well in my opinion the 4 or 6 or even 10 part mini-series is how you accomplish that. Tell me up front that this story has an ending, and how far away it is.

TWD has turned into 'Lost' and I'm sure I'm not the first person to say that.

I'm not sure how TWD has turned into Lost. Lost became a disjointed mess, TWD still has a fairly clear story. The problems TWD has are not because of a loss of cohesion, but more because of a general laziness and predictability in writing.

Well the two are doing the same thing via two different paths. Both are dragging out the story, whatever it is or was, to milk the commercial value...

Lost did it by going all over the place with, as you say, a disjointed mess.

TWD is doing it by recycling the same plot line, in different garb, over and over and over again.

The soap opera format brought to primetime was an unfortunate development. It's kind of a geezerish thing to say but I think the bygone days of tv were better when each show in a series was its own standalone story. One hour with a beginning middle and end.

Multi-episode storylines allow for much greater depth. They also allow for much greater disappointment. :dunno:

Well in my opinion the 4 or 6 or even 10 part mini-series is how you accomplish that. Tell me up front that this story has an ending, and how far away it is.

I'm not sure how TWD has turned into Lost. Lost became a disjointed mess, TWD still has a fairly clear story. The problems TWD has are not because of a loss of cohesion, but more because of a general laziness and predictability in writing.

Well the two are doing the same thing via two different paths. Both are dragging out the story, whatever it is or was, to milk the commercial value...

TWD is doing it by recycling the same plot line, in different garb, over and over and over again.

That's fair enough.

I do think there is a huge difference, however. Lost was always moving toward some sort of conclusion. From the first episodes, the audience was trying to figure out what was happening on the island. With TWD, there is no such conclusion. I don't think people are wondering how things will resolve; the premise itself is open-ended. The zombie apocalypse has occurred, the show is about the lives of characters trying to survive in the new world.

Of course the show runners are going to want to keep it going as long as they can keep making money. TWD has been on for a while, but not nearly as long as other shows; at 7 seasons and 99 episodes, TWD doesn't even come close to long-running shows like The Simpsons, Law and Order, or older shows such as Gunsmoke, which ran for 20 years and over 600 episodes. Even one of my favorite shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which also ran for 7 seasons, had almost half again as many episodes at 144. The Walking Dead may well have many years before it finally ends.

That's fair enough.

I do think there is a huge difference, however. Lost was always moving toward some sort of conclusion. From the first episodes, the audience was trying to figure out what was happening on the island. With TWD, there is no such conclusion. I don't think people are wondering how things will resolve; the premise itself is open-ended. The zombie apocalypse has occurred, the show is about the lives of characters trying to survive in the new world.

Of course the show runners are going to want to keep it going as long as they can keep making money. TWD has been on for a while, but not nearly as long as other shows; at 7 seasons and 99 episodes, TWD doesn't even come close to long-running shows like The Simpsons, Law and Order, or older shows such as Gunsmoke, which ran for 20 years and over 600 episodes. Even one of my favorite shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which also ran for 7 seasons, had almost half again as many episodes at 144. The Walking Dead may well have many years before it finally ends.

The thing was, with a show like Gunsmoke, as best I recall, you could sit down, watch one episode, and it was like reading a short story. You could miss any number of episodes and it wouldn't matter when you watched the next ones.

I love the Onion's take on 'Lost':

Poor Bastard Who Just Started Watching Lost In For World Of Disappointment

That's fair enough.

The thing was, with a show like Gunsmoke, as best I recall, you could sit down, watch one episode, and it was like reading a short story. You could miss any number of episodes and it wouldn't matter when you watched the next ones.

If you like shows that are pretty much entirely one-off episodes, TWD is certainly not for you. ;) I generally prefer my dramas to have more in depth, complex stories than you can do in that format. With comedies, that self-contained style works much better, IMO. Some shows do a good job of mixing the two.

That's fair enough.

If you like shows that are pretty much entirely one-off episodes, TWD is certainly not for you. ;) I generally prefer my dramas to have more in depth, complex stories than you can do in that format. With comedies, that self-contained style works much better, IMO. Some shows do a good job of mixing the two.

Like I said, I like the 4 to about 10 part miniseries.

What are you talking about? There is going to be war now! It's going to be good!
These people just need something to complain about. There's no actual way this episode could've gone that would've satisfied them. There will always be something they don't like. The ones that said they're quitting on the show will all be in this thread next season commenting too...bet :lol:

First they dragged it out way too long. It was what 90 min finale, white 10-15 mins of action.

Too many cliche and plot holes:
(1) The garbage crew betrays Rick. Who didn't see that coming.
(2) The Kingdom and Hilltop get there right in time.
(3) Bullets flying everywhere but no one of meaning gets killed

I will admit I enjoyed seeing Shiva kill some folks and Carol and Morgan back in the fighting mind set. Now that the wooden soldier at the end was explained I am glad that Dwight's turn was legit.

Hopefully next season is better.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Good grief. If everything and everyone was perfect like you seem to want it, then we wouldn't really have much of a show! If Rick knew the Garbage Crew was going to double cross him, then it would have been a completely different story line.

It would have been better if Negan came with a much larger than expected and Rick and crew held them off.

i agree it was stupid to trust the junkyard group but if the writers wrote the show the way we see it then all the walkers would be dead, negan would be dead, and the show would be over. Do you want something to watch every week or do you just want to write up one more episode to solve the entire problem and end the show?

The writers don't have to make the group do everything perfectly, but the writers have been too obvious with their plot devices of late.
I think the show itself is neat enough that the plot holes don't really ruin anything for me. There's times where I get a little frustrated during a scene where you know something else should've been the outcome, like when carl surprises the saviors in the truck but doesn't shoot negan when he clearly could have. But it doesn't ruin it for me. I do hope they don't drag the coming war out any longer than next season though.

Your not, I have said that myself. And that is exactly what it has become.
We all have reasons to not like HBO as a company, but at least they know how to make a series end...most of the time anyway.
AMC has turned TWD into a big fat cash cow. This season was the worst, and very few would disagree with that.
I will no longer watch it. When the time comes that the only reason you are still watching a show is because of what it once was, and hoping it will still be good "this time"...then it is time to stop.
If your argument against any show is that it's trying to be a cash cow then why own a tv? Has there been any show in history where the goal wasn't to make as much money as possible?

We all have reasons to not like HBO as a company, but at least they know how to make a series end...most of the time anyway.
AMC has turned TWD into a big fat cash cow. This season was the worst, and very few would disagree with that.
I will no longer watch it. When the time comes that the only reason you are still watching a show is because of what it once was, and hoping it will still be good "this time"...then it is time to stop.
If your argument against any show is that it's trying to be a cash cow then why own a tv? Has there been any show in history where the goal wasn't to make as much money as possible?

I am obviously not using the term literally, but the common use for the term meaning basically the same thing as "stretching it out like Thanksgiving turkey".

I think the so-called prime time soap operas started with 'Dallas', or at least that was an early.

The worst abominations are the 'cliff hangers' that last for 6 months before they're resolved.

I think the so-called prime time soap operas started with 'Dallas', or at least that was an early.

The worst abominations are the 'cliff hangers' that last for 6 months before they're resolved.

Haha....I still remember the line-up.... First was Incredible Hulk, then Dukes of Hazard then Dallas came on. Man was that a long time ago

i agree it was stupid to trust the junkyard group but if the writers wrote the show the way we see it then all the walkers would be dead, negan would be dead, and the show would be over. Do you want something to watch every week or do you just want to write up one more episode to solve the entire problem and end the show?

The writers don't have to make the group do everything perfectly, but the writers have been too obvious with their plot devices of late.
I think the show itself is neat enough that the plot holes don't really ruin anything for me. There's times where I get a little frustrated during a scene where you know something else should've been the outcome, like when carl surprises the saviors in the truck but doesn't shoot negan when he clearly could have. But it doesn't ruin it for me. I do hope they don't drag the coming war out any longer than next season though.

The show hasn't been ruined for me by any stretch. I've been more frustrated by the problems of late, but I still enjoy it.

Did anyone actually care that Sasha died?

Honestly I only think people would miss Daryl and Carol. Everyone else would be expendable.

I did. I liked her character. I could do without Tara or Rozita though. Tara is like a loose cannon and Rozita is just eh to me.
Next season I really hope Michone and Rick break up. Idk,, I dont like them together at all. Im a racissssst :laugh:
no, not that...it just seems forced.

Id add Rick and Maggie to the need to stay list and they should also build up Enids character.

Honestly I only think people would miss Daryl and Carol. Everyone else would be expendable.

I cared that Sasha died, but it was no sure thing that she would have turned in time to pop out as a walker.

Daryl is my favorite character. He is the man.

I did. I liked her character. I could do without Tara or Rozita though. Tara is like a loose cannon and Rozita is just eh to me.
Next season I really hope Michone and Rick break up. Idk,, I dont like them together at all. Im a racissssst :laugh:
no, not that...it just seems forced.

Id add Rick and Maggie to the need to stay list and they should also build up Enids character.

Rosita is good T&A. I could take or leave Tara. I agree Rick and Michonne have brother and sister chemistry, not lover chemistry.

Forum List

Back