The VP Race Heats Up - Top 12?

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
McCain's Possible Running Mate?

Mitt Romney (R) – "The former governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney staged an unsuccessful bid for president in 2008. Romney is popular in the battleground state of Michigan, where his father once served as governor."

Charlie Crist (R) – "Florida's governor gave a big boost to McCain's campaign by endorsing him in January. McCain went on to win Florida and the Republican nomination."

Tim Pawlenty (R) – "The second-term Minnesota governor served as McCain's national campaign co-chair. Pawlenty will get plenty of exposure at the Republican National Convention which is being held in his hometown of St. Paul."

Sarah Palin (R) – "The youngest governor in Alaska's history is also the first woman to serve in that post. Since assuming office in 2006, she has consistently posted approval ratings in the 80s. Before being elected governor, Palin served as mayor of Wasilla."

John Thune (R) – "South Dakota's junior senator jumped into the spotlight by defeating sitting Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle in 2004. Previously, Thune served three terms as his state's lone representative to the House."

Joe Lieberman (I/D) – "Since running as Al Gore's vice presidential candidate in 2000, the Connecticut senator's standing in the Democratic party collapsed to the point that he was re-elected to the Senate as a third party candidate. Lieberman crossed party lines and endorsed McCain's presidential bid in December."

Obama's Possible Running Mate?

Tim Kaine (D) – "The 50-year-old Virginia governor has shot into the limelight in recent days as one of the top contenders to be Obama's running mate. A Roman Catholic and fluent Spanish-speaker, Kaine previously served as Virginia's Lt. Governor and Mayor of Richmond."

Evan Bayh (D) – "Once a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton's presidential bid, the junior senator from Indiana also served two terms as the state's governor. Bayh is a very popular Democrat in a state that Obama is hoping to change from red to blue."

Kathleen Sebelius (D) – "Part of the first father-daughter pair of governors in the U.S., Sebelius easily won a second term in one of the most staunchly Republican states, Kansas. Delivering the Democratic response to President Bush's 2008 State of the Union Address also gave her a place in the spotlight."

John Edwards (D) – "Former vice presidential candidate and senator from North Carolina, John Edwards focused much of his 2008 presidential bid on providing universal health care and eliminating poverty. He previously denied any interest in becoming vice president, but appeared to change his tune in June."

Joe Biden (D) – "The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, Biden made an unsuccessful bid for the Democratic nomination before dropping out of the race in January. He is currently serving his sixth term as senator from Delaware."

Hillary Clinton (D) – "Earlier this year, all eyes were on a 'Dream Ticket' of Obama and Clinton. While that now seems unlikely, The New York senator and former first lady still has huge support among many Democrats."

"Quoted" from -

:popcorn: The VP race heats up - Yahoo! News Photos :popcorn:

I am not going to get into who I specifically think each guy should pick.

All I will say is McCain needs someone who Conservatives like, preferabley with a strong back ground in Economics.

Obama needs someone with foreign policy and more government experience than himself.

Obama needs someone with foreign policy and more government experience than himself.

Isn't it sad that he needs someone with experience to make his ticket viable? You'd think it would be the other way around: the experienced would need the popular to make their ticket sellable.

Clinton/Obama would have won by an overwhelming landslide. Obama/Clinton would still win, but Clinton wants no part of it. She sees Obama for what he is, and she puts on the facade of believing in his vision.

I've actually heard a lot of Palin talk lately... first heard it on the local news a few days ago... I have to admit, though being from an out of the way state, she seems to have a lot to offer in stance, strength, and demographics

I've actually heard a lot of Palin talk lately... first heard it on the local news a few days ago... I have to admit, though being from an out of the way state, she seems to have a lot to offer in stance, strength, and demographics

That's Obama's way of trying to lure Hillary supporters back to his side. He needs to realize people didn't support Hillary because she was a woman. We supported her because she knows what the hell is going on in the world, as compared to Barack.

Evan Bayh is his best shot, but again, Bayh should be first-billed on an Obama/Bayh ticket. It's sad that Obama is even given this chance. He's already proven that he can't fight for the issues he supports. He caves in to demands from all sides. He's just the Democrats version of Bush, someone they can push around to get what they want.

Forum List

Back