The Virus in Washington DC

Define "too many". Those who would use that lame ass excuse need to just step the hell up and join the cause and become the "new and improved face" of the movement. Let go of the stereotypes of Tea Partiers, because it is composed of people from all stripes.

I watched the new coverage of the Tea Party in Washington. "Too many" for me, meant MORE THAN ONE asshole holding up signs saying "Bury Obamacare with Kennedy", or MORE THAN ONE asshole holding up signs saying "Where is Obama's Birth Certificate"?

Then you appear to have tunnel vision and will most likely not find any group to meet your expectations. In a movement with that many numbers, it is unreasonable not to expect a few loons to crash the party. That doesn't mean the rest should pack it up and go home.

There are people on the far left and far right who have had up similar signs in the past VaYank. Where is your outrage at the left I only see your outrage going toward the right. 3 examples of each

The left:
Kill Bush
Bush is a Nazi
Republicans are racists

The right:
God hates you (outside abortion clinics)
Obama is a muslim non-citizen
Bury Obamacare with Kennedy

Define "too many". Those who would use that lame ass excuse need to just step the hell up and join the cause and become the "new and improved face" of the movement. Let go of the stereotypes of Tea Partiers, because it is composed of people from all stripes.

I watched the new coverage of the Tea Party in Washington. "Too many" for me, meant MORE THAN ONE asshole holding up signs saying "Bury Obamacare with Kennedy", or MORE THAN ONE asshole holding up signs saying "Where is Obama's Birth Certificate"?

Then you appear to have tunnel vision and will most likely not find any group to meet your expectations. In a movement with that many numbers, it is unreasonable not to expect a few loons to crash the party. That doesn't mean the rest should pack it up and go home.

Here's a better idea. Why not get better organized. Maybe even elect a leader. At the very least have SOMEONE to throw out the trash and stop have the Tea Party as a whole thought of as a bunch of kooks with tea bags dangling from the brims of hats. Do any of those people know how stupid and immature they look? Honestly?

One only needs to look at any Defense spending bill to know that corruption and the ability to spend tax money is not the sole property of one party or the other. If someone really wanted to change things in Washington then the way to do that is not to cover your eye's and vote for the TEAM, bur rather vote for the person who is going to actually represent the needs of the people that vote for them.

The countrys DEFENSE is the number 1 duty of the government....

Does that mean we should turn a blilnd eye toward the huge amounts of corruption associated with defense contracts and contractors?

Totally agree. There are loons in every group. Doesn't matter what they are protesting. How many times did we see "Kill Bush" signs???

The Tea Party movement isn't going away. These are American citizens exercisiing their Right to protest the policies of the current administration. I think we just have to ignore the loon part of the equation.

One only needs to look at any Defense spending bill to know that corruption and the ability to spend tax money is not the sole property of one party or the other. If someone really wanted to change things in Washington then the way to do that is not to cover your eye's and vote for the TEAM, bur rather vote for the person who is going to actually represent the needs of the people that vote for them.

Navy...good point. However, by "bringing home the bacon" so to say, is how many of our elected officials DO represent the people that vote for them. Pet projects add local jobs and money to their consituents back home and I get this. However, if we would just be able to give the President line item veto power, this could be better managed. Pet projects are bad, regardless of who benefits, IMHO.

I don't mind the bringing home the bacon so much as I do things like spending for a district then at the same time advocating a postiion of cutting elsewhere. Sort of the NIMBY principle. Want a real good example of that , take a look at the C-17, that aircraft is perhaps the most pork laden aircraft ever to be approved by Congress. The USAF as told congress over and over again, we do NOT need anymore C-17's and yet congress keeps approving additional aircraft. The F-22 was cancelled because of costs and the justification was the F-35 would be a better fit, well, the F-35 as of just a few weeks ago was slowed down on purchasing because of the need for money elsewhere and budget concerns. (see C-17). As I said Congress has been doing this for years, pick the project, doesn't matter, pick the party. The only people who are going to really change this are the voters, and they are NOT going to change it ever if they keep voting for the same people year in and year out and then cross their fingers and hope it changes.

There are people on the far left and far right who have had up similar signs in the past VaYank. Where is your outrage at the left I only see your outrage going toward the right. 3 examples of each

The left:
Kill Bush
Bush is a Nazi
Republicans are racists

The right:

I don't give a shit about what anyone did in the past. Cali asked a question about moving forward. I pointed out that the Tea Party movement is not a legitimate option and asked for additional options, MOVING FORWARD. Get it?

What I find quite disingenuous is the fact that just because, in someone's opinion, you have a few people who act a little strange in a group like wearing some Lipton teabags on a hat they don't deserve a voice and are labled as kooks. The negative image perpetrated by the left on the Tea Party movement is evidence that they viewed them as a threat. So instead of challenging their ideas with debate and discussion they attacked them personally and labeled them a term associated with a particular sexual technique. Pathetic and evidence of the stupidity and immaturity of the current leaders of the progressive liberal movement.

Now...during several news conferences yesterday we heard the Democrat leaders and WH Press Secretary come out with their spin on the anger in the country....:lol: I almost shit my pants because I was laughing so hard when Gibbs said the anger was directed at Republicans and Bush...in other words they are so out of touch with America that they were too stupid to realize the anger was DIRECTED AT THEM and their progressive agenda.

America DOES NOT WANT PROGRESSIVE REFORMS. We want jobs, security and a Congress THAT WORKS FOR THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Cali-G...you are exactly right. I want to believe your message is at the heart of the Tea Party movement. However, the Tea Partiers are not, and will not be taken seriously because they have too many members that well, honestly look and act like lunatics. So, this is not the way to do it. The question I pose to the board, is, HOW do we accomplish what you suggest?

I watched the news coverage of the Tea Party in Washington. "Too many" for me, meant MORE THAN ONE asshole holding up signs saying "Bury Obamacare with Kennedy", or MORE THAN ONE asshole holding up signs saying "Where is Obama's Birth Certificate"?

I don't disagree that sometimes the signs in the protests were offensive. But I have seen equally offensive messages at left wing rallies and right wing rallies. The TEA parties are no different. They are not one voice - they are individual people with individual concerns. While I dislike and don't agree with the 'birthers', I do support their right to question. And, let's be honest, Obama could shut them up very easily by releasing his full records... But, that, to me is a distraction, not an issue.

Personally, I think we need to let go of some of the stupid stuff - the constant sniping, the ranting towards Bush, Cheney et al, the birth certificate, etc. All of these are NOT going to help us go forward - they only seek to divide. Which is why the media constantly play them up. The politicians - and the media - would prefer we concentrate on stupid non-issues so they can continue to rob us all.

We really need to be smarter than that. We need to not be distracted by some stupid sign and concentrate on what we all want. Decent, honest politicians who represent us.

Here's a better idea. Why not get better organized. Maybe even elect a leader. At the very least have SOMEONE to throw out the trash and stop have the Tea Party as a whole thought of as a bunch of kooks with tea bags dangling from the brims of hats. Do any of those people know how stupid and immature they look? Honestly?

Grass roots movements don't start out all prim and proper. So many of these people have never been motivated to get themselves that involved in the process. They are trying to get the attention of Washington, and so far the establishment has tried to ignore them. If Mass is an indicator of what this movement can accomplish, and the politicians start taking some real notice, then they've achieved a significant short-term goal.

Hey, and stop judging people like some snotty high school bitch.:lol:

Navy...good point. However, by "bringing home the bacon" so to say, is how many of our elected officials DO represent the people that vote for them. Pet projects add local jobs and money to their consituents back home and I get this. However, if we would just be able to give the President line item veto power, this could be better managed. Pet projects are bad, regardless of who benefits, IMHO.

I don't mind the bringing home the bacon so much as I do things like spending for a district then at the same time advocating a postiion of cutting elsewhere. Sort of the NIMBY principle. Want a real good example of that , take a look at the C-17, that aircraft is perhaps the most pork laden aircraft ever to be approved by Congress. The USAF as told congress over and over again, we do NOT need anymore C-17's and yet congress keeps approving additional aircraft. The F-22 was cancelled because of costs and the justification was the F-35 would be a better fit, well, the F-35 as of just a few weeks ago was slowed down on purchasing because of the need for money elsewhere and budget concerns. (see C-17). As I said Congress has been doing this for years, pick the project, doesn't matter, pick the party. The only people who are going to really change this are the voters, and they are NOT going to change it ever if they keep voting for the same people year in and year out and then cross their fingers and hope it changes.

We are in complete agreement here.
The F-22 is a poor design that requires somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 maintanence hours for every 1 hour of flight. If the F-35 is no better, THAT project should be cancelled as well. As for the C-17....that contract should have gone to AirBus anyway.

The left:
Kill Bush
Bush is a Nazi
Republicans are racists

The right:

You're part of the problem if your response to criticism is to trawl out a bunch of examples from the 'other side'....

Knock off the partisanship and tell me how you think we move forward - don't criticize, compromise.

I watched the news coverage of the Tea Party in Washington. "Too many" for me, meant MORE THAN ONE asshole holding up signs saying "Bury Obamacare with Kennedy", or MORE THAN ONE asshole holding up signs saying "Where is Obama's Birth Certificate"?

I don't disagree that sometimes the signs in the protests were offensive. But I have seen equally offensive messages at left wing rallies and right wing rallies. The TEA parties are no different. They are not one voice - they are individual people with individual concerns. While I dislike and don't agree with the 'birthers', I do support their right to question. And, let's be honest, Obama could shut them up very easily by releasing his full records... But, that, to me is a distraction, not an issue.

Personally, I think we need to let go of some of the stupid stuff - the constant sniping, the ranting towards Bush, Cheney et al, the birth certificate, etc. All of these are NOT going to help us go forward - they only seek to divide. Which is why the media constantly play them up. The politicians - and the media - would prefer we concentrate on stupid non-issues so they can continue to rob us all.

We really need to be smarter than that. We need to not be distracted by some stupid sign and concentrate on what we all want. Decent, honest politicians who represent us.

I agree with your sentiments here, Cali. However, it is because the "Tea Party movement" is not one voice, and represents way too many agendas, that they cannot be considered a viable tool to reshape our government. The kooks associated with them only help to detract from any credibility other members may achieve.

Grass roots movements don't start out all prim and proper. So many of these people have never been motivated to get themselves that involved in the process. They are trying to get the attention of Washington, and so far the establishment has tried to ignore them. If Mass is an indicator of what this movement can accomplish, and the politicians start taking some real notice, then they've achieved a significant short-term goal.

Sherry....you were doing good until you called my a snotty high school bitch. It is immature asshats like you that make the Tea Party as unviable as they already are. Bitch.

I agree with your sentiments here, Cali. However, it is because the "Tea Party movement" is not one voice, and represents way too many agendas, that they cannot be considered a viable tool to reshape our government. The kooks associated with them only help to detract from any credibility other members may achieve.

See what I mean...I guess no one read my post.

What about the kooks in the Congress as we speak!! They have a voice and make policy!!!!

Cali-G...you are exactly right. I want to believe your message is at the heart of the Tea Party movement. However, the Tea Partiers are not, and will not be taken seriously because they have too many members that well, honestly look and act like lunatics. So, this is not the way to do it. The question I pose to the board, is, HOW do we accomplish what you suggest?

get rid a shit like you

Namvet, you're a cool guy and I get where you are coming from. But.... I also think VaYank (and he and I have had some knock down square up arguments) has a valid point. It would be great if you two could put the partisan arguments to the side for one thread and see if we can find some common ground that the intelligent posters here can agree on. VaYank is one of those smart posters.... so are you. I think you two could find common ground if you both looked hard for it. For one, you both agree with me - some extent - that the system is broke and we need to fix it. Now, if we can agree on that, maybe we can agree how to fix it.

Not likely, have you been paying attention? VaYank SUPPORTS ignoring everything Obama has done in the past year and everything the Democrats have done on the Health Care Bill. He does NOT support getting rid of DEMOCRATS just Republicans. He is part and parcel of the problem. Liberal Democrat first and always.

It isn't just about reshaping government. It's also about reshaping the way the average citizen makes their voice heard. So many distrust organized government and don't see the necessary change coming from those established entities.

See what I mean...I guess no one read my post

What about the kooks in the Congress as we speak!! They have a voice and make policy!!!!

This is what happens when you are a known hyper-partisan.

The countrys DEFENSE is the number 1 duty of the government....

Does that mean we should turn a blilnd eye toward the huge amounts of corruption associated with defense contracts and contractors?

That's the kind of stuff we need to fix. Yes, DEFENSE is a huge part of the government's responsibility. So, we need to find and fix the corruption that costs us as taxpayers and, far more importantly, is not in the best interests of our boots on the ground - our brothers and sisters in uniform. When it comes to defense - the only important thing should be that we provide the best that we can provide to our servicemen.

We know there is corruption there. Why do we sit back and accept it?

Sherry....you were doing good until you called my a snotty high school bitch. It is immature asshats like you that make the Tea Party as unviable as they already are. Bitch.

Blah, blah, blah ya fuckin' whinah.:lol: I don't give a shit if I pass your test and am considered doing "good" by you, but here's a hug anyway. You're too damn sensitive if that little observation sent you over the edge.

Forum List

Back