The Village

I'm probably not going to. I read what the big surprise ending was on the Internet, and it was downright terrible. I won't spoil it unless people want me to, but I will say that it was just completely cornball and preachy. Apparently, the studio made Shayamalan reshoot the ending, so it may be different now, but I'm going to wait for video anyway.

I did see it last night, and I have to say I thought it was very good. It wasn't as much scary as it was intriguing and creepy. There are many levels to the story and the characters, which is typical for Shymalan, so even though at times the movie is slow moving it keeps your interest. And of course there are the usual twists and turns, nothing is at it seems, moments. The acting I thought was excellent, especially by the lead actress a very determined, and smart blind girl, as well as Adrianne Brody who plays a slow witted member of the society and, Juaqine Pheonix who plays a strong silent lead character. All in all worth seeing.

Bonnie said:
I did see it last night, and I have to say I thought it was very good. It wasn't as much scary as it was intriguing and creepy. There are many levels to the story and the characters, which is typical for Shymalan, so even though at times the movie is slow moving it keeps your interest. And of course there are the usual twists and turns, nothing is at it seems, moments. The acting I thought was excellent, especially by the lead actress a very determined, and smart blind girl, as well as Adrianne Brody who plays a slow witted member of the society and, Juaqine Pheonix who plays a strong silent lead character. All in all worth seeing.

what are the creatures...if you don't want to spoil it for eveyone else, you can email it to me. (send message via email in my public profile or IM)

It wasn't garbage, but it just wasn't all that suspensfull really. I suspected the outcome about halfway through the moive. Some of the characters are very good, such as Ivy and Lucius and they help carry the moive along.

The thing about this genre of moive and of M. Night Shylman, is that everyone is expecting a grand twist at the end, something unexpected. The delivery in this moive just fell short. And then looking back once the situation is revieled you kind of say to yourself "well that's stupid".

Anyway a few good moments in the movie but overall not great just ok.

MtnBiker said:
It wasn't garbage, but it just wasn't all that suspensfull really. I suspected the outcome about halfway through the moive. Some of the characters are very good, such as Ivy and Lucius and they help carry the moive along.

The thing about this genre of moive and of M. Night Shylman, is that everyone is expecting a grand twist at the end, something unexpected. The delivery in this moive just fell short. And then looking back once the situation is revieled you kind of say to yourself "well that's stupid".

Anyway a few good moments in the movie but overall not great just ok.

I do agree the ending was somewhat anticlimactic, I think this movie's strong points were the character development, dialog, and the acting.

Bonnie said:
I do agree the ending was somewhat anticlimactic, I think this movie's strong points were the character development, dialog, and the acting.

The porch sceen with Lucius and Ivy was about the best part of the movie.

MtnBiker said:
The porch sceen with Lucius and Ivy was about the best part of the movie.

That really was a great scene. I do have a question though...What was the reason that Ivy's dad would not persue a relationship with Lucius's mother, the point was made clear that he had feelings for her when at the wedding he would not touch her hand?

Bonnie said:
That really was a great scene. I do have a question though...What was the reason that Ivy's dad would not persue a relationship with Lucius's mother, the point was made clear that he had feelings for her when at the wedding he would not touch her hand?

I think it had to do with personal sacrifice and the continuation of the village. Imagine if Lucius's mother married Ivy's dad, that would have made Lucius and Ivy somewhat incestious, he (the father) realized that in order for the village to have a future there were certain things he had to live without.

I'm going tonight to see..so I'll tell you all if I liked it or not...I hear it's suppose to be good don't know but will soon.

MtnBiker said:
I think it had to do with personal sacrifice and the continuation of the village. Imagine if Lucius's mother married Ivy's dad, that would have made Lucius and Ivy somewhat incestious, he (the father) realized that in order for the village to have a future there were certain things he had to live without.

Hmm that makes sense

Forum List

Back