The Velvet Underground

Rogo

Choose to choose
Mar 23, 2011
The Velvet Underground are one of the most important bands to ever emerge in the modern era of music. With their debut album , The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967), they spawned many genres from almost nothing, such as ambient, drone, dream pop, noise rock, art rock, and more. It also brought more adult themes to music, like prostitution, the use and purchasing of heroin, and bondage. But most importantly, they brought art and the avant-garde to rock music which was generally an art form dominated by the youth and created for the youth. The tenth track, "Black Angel's Death Song," exemplifies this with its screeching electric viola and its poetic lyrics. Their second album, White Light/White Heat, (1968) brought the distortion that we all know and love in punk rock, and eventually brought out the determined sound found in noise rock. It's epic seventeen minute track "Sister Ray" tells the story of a heroin-dealing drag queen being murdered by a group of transvestites which is utterly unheard of in this day and time. Then of course their self-titled album which was released in 1969 showed us a more kinder, gentler side of the Velvet Underground. The shear beauty of the guitar solos in "I'm Set Free" and "What Goes On" shows the listener the softer side of such a "dirty and gritty" band. Then, of course, their fourth album, Loaded (1970), topped off their ending as a band by showing everyone they were capable of radio play.

All in all, it is impossible to imagine genres such as alternative rock, indie rock, and punk rock ever existing without the Velvet Underground themselves existing. Some would even argue that without them, there would be no gangsta rap!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xcwt9mSbYE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xcwt9mSbYE[/ame]

I've never taken heroin, but I don't need to take it to know how it feels. This song is not only a work of art, but it simulates the sensation someone feels when under the influence of the drug. The increasing tempo of the drums and guitar is like the beating of the heart during the rush and decrease in tempo represents the wearing off of its effect and the experience the "nod" which is found when taking heroin. Of course, the electric viola enhances the overall experience of the piece by remaining on a droning 'D' note (at least until the end). Towards the end, when Lou Reed starts to recall his annoyance with those "Jim Jims and dirty politicians" the viola goes berserk as if the instrument itself is the incarnation of his annoyance. The funny thing is, this song doesn't really condemn or endorse the use of heroin. It's more meditative, talking about how he uses heroin to escape the worries and cruelties of the world, but then says "it'll be the death of me". This shows that he knows the dangers of the drug itself, but he is still willing to endure through the dangers in order to escape his problems.

Last edited:
Warhol brought her to us, but he also ruined Nico. His vision just didn't fit her style. Once she left the VU, she struggled for a while, trying other genres, and just when it seemed she finally had found her way back to her roots....she was gone :(

The Velvet Underground is/was/forever will be a legend. The names that came from and through the VU are a veritable Who's Who of Folk and Rock legends.

Warhol brought her to us, but he also ruined Nico. His vision just didn't fit her style. Once she left the VU, she struggled for a while, trying other genres, and just when it seemed she finally had found her way back to her roots....she was gone :(

The Velvet Underground is/was/forever will be a legend. The names that came from and through the VU are a veritable Who's Who of Folk and Rock legends.

I'm glad you are a fan of them. What's your favorite album by them?

Here's another song (which is a personal favorite). It's about communism.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj1r8smLOmM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj1r8smLOmM[/ame]

I don't know how many times I listened to their debut and White Light/White Heat when I used to listen to a lot of music... too many to count.

I don't know how many times I listened to their debut and White Light/White Heat when I used to listen to a lot of music... too many to count.

White Light/White Heat is a fantastic album, and it was also a key element in the creation of punk rock and noise rock.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an9DoVBHHr8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an9DoVBHHr8[/ame]

I got turned onto the VU in my early 20's....

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow.

You have some good taste..

Any fans? :lol:

metal_machine.jpg

Any fans? :lol:

metal_machine.jpg

Definitely. If you listen to it closely, it's actually quite melodic. Of course, I love the avant-garde, so...

I don't think it's bad but I can see why it isn't his most popular album.

Avant-garde... do you like any German stuff? I was really into Can and Faust and groups from that scene.

I don't think it's bad but I can see why it isn't his most popular album.

Avant-garde... do you like any German stuff? I was really into Can and Faust and groups from that scene.

Can is great. I have Monster Movie, Tago Mago, Future Days, and Ege Bamyasi. Their drummer, Jaki Liebezeit, is one of my all-time favorite percussionists. As for Faust... I appreciate their contribution to music, and I listened to a few of their albums, but... I've never been a huge fan of them. All in all, though, krautrock is a great genre of music.

Well, the debut was fantastic, but I really didn't get "into" the VU until I started to go back and listen to some of the early work of folks who came up with and around them. Nico did a cover of "These Days" by Jackson Browne. It was on her debut solo album produced by Warhol, but it made me go back and listen to some of the other stuff Jackson had done with them while she was there and afterwards. Browne was 16 when he wrote it, and it is a very, very simple song, but it is one of those that is memorable, for me at least. His song and Nico's voice were very simple, and very good. If you're a musician, especially a writer, sometimes the simplest stuff, done VERY well, will blow you away. It was that way with Nico and Jackson Browne for me, so I suppose they were the ones who got me "hooked" on the VU.

Nico's looks didn't hurt either :)

Of course anything with Lou Reed is probably awesome, as was most of the VU stuff.

My brother is a couple of years older than me, and he has extremely eclectic taste in music. He is a concert pianist, but listens to bluegrass, rock, jazz, you name it. Jazz is his favorite, and improvisational jazz to be more specific. I got turned on to a lot of pretty obscure musicians (not that the VU is really "obscure"), and I'm sure it was him who first played the VU for me. I immediately liked it.

Well, the debut was fantastic, but I really didn't get "into" the VU until I started to go back and listen to some of the early work of folks who came up with and around them. Nico did a cover of "These Days" by Jackson Browne. It was on her debut solo album produced by Warhol, but it made me go back and listen to some of the other stuff Jackson had done with them while she was there and afterwards. Browne was 16 when he wrote it, and it is a very, very simple song, but it is one of those that is memorable, for me at least. His song and Nico's voice were very simple, and very good. If you're a musician, especially a writer, sometimes the simplest stuff, done VERY well, will blow you away. It was that way with Nico and Jackson Browne for me, so I suppose they were the ones who got me "hooked" on the VU.

Nico's looks didn't hurt either :)

Of course anything with Lou Reed is probably awesome, as was most of the VU stuff.

My brother is a couple of years older than me, and he has extremely eclectic taste in music. He is a concert pianist, but listens to bluegrass, rock, jazz, you name it. Jazz is his favorite, and improvisational jazz to be more specific. I got turned on to a lot of pretty obscure musicians (not that the VU is really "obscure"), and I'm sure it was him who first played the VU for me. I immediately liked it.

Most people I know haven't even heard of the Velvet Underground. And don't get me started on kids...

Forum List

Back