The Vaunted "Civility in Discourse", Madison Style

ClosedCaption said:
Obama was in those pics? Or is everything Obamas fault?

Obama has been very quick to criticize criticism from the right. And very quick to call what wasn't hate speech as 'uncivil' meaning it was uncomplimentary to him or those he is obligated to support. The now infamous 'call to civility' in the wake of the Tuscon massacre sort of rings hollow when he verbally SUPPORTS the people carrying those hateful signs and nary a word suggesting they tone down the hateful rhetoric.

And yeah. That part of it is Obama's fault.

Obama supports the unions and there isn't one shread of evidence that show Obama supports "hateful" sign holders. But if you just want to be mad about something then keep believing that made scenario. He'll those people aren't even union. Just someone with a sign.

If Obama said I support that guy with the bullets on Walker I'd join with you in the outrage....but made up support and outrage? I don't have that much free time

There was not one shred of evidence that Sarah Palin's crosshairs graphics or any talk radio host or any Republican speech or any Tea Party/9-12er/tax protest rally showed support for or triggered random gun violence or a viscious shooting in Tuscon either. But that didn't keep the left from making the association or pages on message boards condemning Sarah Palin or some other conservative persona or group. It was certainly those Obama was addressing when he suggested that it was incivility that inspired such violence.

So why the silence now? No suggestion that such hate speech is inspiring violence or targeting public figures or creating a hostile uncivil environment? Are union members somehow exempt from consequences when they shout violent language and carry hateful signs?

So why doesn't Obama see that? Is it because they are union members he dares not offend?

I think anybody who is the least bit fair minded would have to at least consider that the answer is 'yes'.

Last edited:
ClosedCaption said:
Obama was in those pics? Or is everything Obamas fault?

Obama has been very quick to criticize criticism from the right. And very quick to call what wasn't hate speech as 'uncivil' meaning it was uncomplimentary to him or those he is obligated to support. The now infamous 'call to civility' in the wake of the Tuscon massacre sort of rings hollow when he verbally SUPPORTS the people carrying those hateful signs and nary a word suggesting they tone down the hateful rhetoric.

And yeah. That part of it is Obama's fault.

Obama supports the unions and there isn't one shread of evidence that show Obama supports "hateful" sign holders. But if you just want to be mad about something then keep believing that made scenario. He'll those people aren't even union. Just someone with a sign.

If Obama said I support that guy with the bullets on Walker I'd join with you in the outrage....but made up support and outrage? I don't have that much free time

So what is your opinion of those signs CC? Do you condemn them, see them for the hateful acts they are, see them as generated by or promoted by union thugs who want what they want and the state economy be damned? What?

Or do you just object to the right criticizing them and making sure you and Obama don't get tarred with that brush while you're cheering them on?

Couldn't believe the Wingers were calling Walker 'Bin Laden.' I get the 'Hitler' stuff because all Leftist nutters throw the Hitler accusations out there. But he's 'Bin Laden' too? Yikes! Crazy stuff.

Seriously Democrats,do you really believe calling the guy Bin Laden and Hitler is "Civil Discourse?" Weird stuff. Yikes!

Both sides engage in actions like this. The signs posted on this thread is an example, and one can easily find signs from a GOP, or tea party rally with similar signs. Remember when a bunch of people were calling Obama a terrorist, or a fundamental Muslim extremist? It goes both way. But I guess people are going to whine, complain and cry over this-rather than focusing on the issues.

Republicans didn't try to blame the Giffords shooting on "uncivil discourse" and "violent imagery".

Try again.

No, but they whined about the other side calling Bush a war-criminal, a murderer, etc. The GOP isn't ok with the Democrats uncivil discourse either. Both sides do their fair shares of whining about the other's "uncivil discourse", and both sides do their fair share of the discourse as well.

How many Democrats blamed the violent imagery as the cause for the Giffords shooting? Obama himself never made any such statement, so I'd like to see some names of elected officials who blamed the shooting on the GOP's discourse.

Welcome to....
6258.jpg

They're either nasty or unconscious.

boedicca-albums-more-boedicca-s-stuff-picture3353-atwork.jpg

Forum List

Back