The USMB Cookbook

this is very simple and many might already know it but I take one can of tuna, add a spoon full of mayo, squirt some mustard in it, add some salt and pepper. add a bunch of pickels and then Put it on bread or eat it with saltines. I love it for lunch with a glass of milk.

That should be in the weird food thread! :eusa_hand:

Here is my favorite recipe for:

Huevos Rancheros.

1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. Flour
Chopped medium onion
1 can green chili (chopped)
2 chopped medium tomatoes
1 crushed clove garlic (if desired)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. water
1 bouillon cube (beef or chicken,which ever preferred)
6 tortillas
1 1/2 c. grated cheese (any variety)
6 eggs (fried, poached or scrambled)
Shredded lettuce (garnish)
Tomato wedges (garnish)

In saucepan,combine butter and flour..mix. Then add in onion,green chili,tomatoes and garlic. Saute until onion is clear. Add in salt,water and bouillon to preceeding ingredients,mix until disolved. Simmer for 10 min. Prepare eggs. On plate, place tortilla,eggs and top with sauce and cheese. Garnish with lettuce and tomato wedges.

Mine is faster: 1 jar green chili sauce, pre-shredded cheese in a bag and a couple of eggs cooked sunny side up. :lol:
(This way you get your daily requirement of preservatives.)

Not a recipre, but this is pretty good

Grilled peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich

Is as easy as a grilled cheese sandwich

I have an experimental applesauce pound cake in the oven right now. If it's any good, I'll post the recipe. It smells like it ought to be good anyway :)

^^^ So how was it?

I'm cooking this right now...yummy! Good for cold weather...it was snowing here earlier...not enough to stick to the ground though.

NEW MEXICO POSOLE

1 lb. lean pork shoulder
2 lbs. frozen posole/hominy
Juice of 1 lime (optional)
14 oz. red chili (or to taste,some folks like less)
3 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
3 tbsp. salt

Combine all ingredients in large pot fill with water (enough to cover ingredients) and simmer for 3 /4 hours or until posole kernels burst and are soft but not falling apart.

Tip: sometimes soaking the posole for a few hours prior to cooking is helpful but not a requirement.

Edit: I forgot the most important part...the water.

Last edited:
Another New Mexican favorite for cold winter days.

Green Chile Stew:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
1 onion, chopped
10 ounces diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers*
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed

Directions:

1.In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil and brown the stew meat and the onions until onions are translucent; about 5 minutes
2. Pour in the diced tomatoes with chiles, beef broth and chile peppers.
3. Stir in the garlic salt and cumin. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add a little more beef broth or water if needed during simmering.
5. Stir in cubed potatoes to the mixture and simmer for an additional 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

* Can add more to taste

Bet you didnt know New Mexico has it's own state cookie...well we do and they are really good. :tongue:

Biscochitos (also known as Mexican wedding cookies):

1 pound lard
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons anise seed
1/3 cup brandy
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup sugar
6 cups flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Directions:

1. Cream lard, sugar, and anise seed in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and beat well.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. Alternately add flour and brandy to creamed mixture until stiff dough has been formed.
4. Knead dough slightly and pat or roll to a 1/4 inch to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut dough into desired shapes.
5. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Dust the top of each cookie with a small amount of mixture.
6. Bake in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.

Yield: 5 dozen Baking Time: 10-12 minutes
Temperature: 350°F, they freeze well

One more New Mexico recipe for soup and stew lovers..

Albondigas Soup:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
3 quarts chicken stock or beef stock
2 large carrots, sliced
1/2 lb string beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup of raw white rice
1 raw egg
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves and/or parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/1/2 cup of frozen or fresh peas
Dried oregano, crumbled
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:

1. Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and minced garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and broth mixture. Bring to boil and simmer. Add carrots and string beans.
2. Prepare meatballs. Mix rice into meat, adding mint land parsley leaves, salt and pepper. Add raw egg. Form beef into 1-inch meatballs.
3. Return soup to gentle simmer. Add meatballs to soup, one at a time. Cover and let simmer for 1/2 hour. Add peas towards the end of the 1/2 hour. Add a few pinches of oregano and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish soup with chopped fresh cilantro.

Yield: 6-8 servings

Tip: The trick to make the perfect soup, is to put minced/chopped mint leaves into the meat mixture. The mint is what gives the meatball it's unique flavor.

Bunch of baking potatoes
Bunch of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Stick of butter
flour, in shaker cup if you got it
salt
pepper
milk

Peel and slice taters, pretty thin, I use mandolin. Keep in cold water to prevent color change. Get a big bowl, I use pyrex. single layer of potatoes, salt & pepper, few dabs butter, cheese, flour. Keep repeating until bowl if full. Then the tricky part, make sure you end with cheddar cheese, until then the order doesn't really matter. Add milk slowly until it's just peeking along the side. Put into 350F preheated over for about an hour, until top is really nicely brown.

You can also throw layers of cook ham or bacon in too!

Annie, my grandmother used to make those potatoes quite often. They are the best!!

They are really yummy, I guarantee you'll eat the equivalent of 2-3 potatoes! Yikes! Doesn't matter the holiday, the family insists I make them. They are a pia, but so good!

I made this last week and had the last of it for lunch today;

Green Chile Stew
1 lb. ground or finely chopped elk roast
4 cups beef or homemade elk broth
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
3 large red potatoes
1 large carrot
1 cup frozen corn
10 to 14 oz chopped green chiles (½ 20 oz can, or two 7 oz cans)
½ chopped medium onion
½ teaspoon garlic
1½ tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste

Brown meat. Boil or microwave potatoes and carrots until softened, but still slightly firm. Dice them and add them to cooked elk meat with other vegetables. The potatoes and carrots can be cooked from the fresh state in the stew, if time is not an issue. (Simmer until carrots are tender.)

Add broth and seasonings. Simmer over heat for 1 hour.

Serve with cornbread or flour tortillas.

I've never had elk meat in stew or anything like that. But I did have a roomate in college that used to get care packages from her dad that had homemade elk jerky in them. It was pretty good too.

Elk is better than beef, but much leaner.
I have a lot of recipes for game because when I take a client out for a hunt(I am a guide) I have to feed them their meals. I figure they want to eat what they are hunting, usually that's right.

Here is a up and coming favorite.

Big Fool's Water

Go to store

Buy $2 (or more) bottle water from some Eastern European Nation like Croatia.

Enjoy!!

Why is it called "Big Fool's Water"? Only a fool would buy water for $2!!

Chocolate Marshmallow Mousse

1 Bar (7 oz) Hershey's Milk Chocolate
1 1/2 C mini marshmallows
1/3 C milk
1 C chilled whipping cream

Break Hershey bar into pieces. In double boiler,melt chocolate bar and marshmallows with milk. Cool to room temp. In small mixing bowl,beat whipping cream until stiff. Fold into cooled chocolate mixture and pour into dessert dishes. Cover and chill 1 to 2 hours until firm.

Big Black Dog's Really Great Hot Dogs

1. Take a package of hot dogs. Any brand will do but I recommend Hebrew National.
2. Set package of hot dogs on the counter.
3. Get a pot out from the cabinet. Use the one your wife doesn't like for you to use.
4. Put water in the pot. Not so much that will cause it to boil over but enough to look good to you.
5. Put the pot with water in it on the stove and turn on the appropriate burner.
6.. Now is when you stick the hot dogs into the pot of water. (It's best to remove them from the package.)
7. Step outside of the kitchen (out in the yard) and light up a Marlboro. Relax.
8. Scratch dog on belly when he comes up, lays down and rolls over for you.
9. Finish up with your Marlboro and return to the kitchen.
10. Check water in pot. It should be boiling by now.
11. This is usually when I will wash my hands but this step is optional. If your dog's belly is not dirty you can probably skip the washing your hands part.
12. By now water in the pot with hot dogs in it should be boiling pretty good.
13. Look in the fridge and take out a cold beer and a jar of mustard.
14. Open both the beer and the mustard.
15. Get the loaf of bread out from the bread box.
16. Open up the bread.
17. Obain a paper towel off of the roll and lay it out on the counter top.
18. Get a fork out of the silverware drawer.
19. Turn off the burner on the stove that has the pan of hot dogs sitting on top of it.
20. Move pot with hot dogs in it over to one of the burners that is not hot.
21. Lay a slice of bread out on the paper towel. Make sure you have the bread "right side up".
22. Put some mustard on the bread. (Instead of mustard, you may substitute Mayo.)
23. Using the fork, poke it into one of the hot dogs in the pot and transfer it over to the bread you have prepared on the paper towel on the counter top. (Recommend shaking the hot dog a couple of times to get off any excess water, if any.)
24. Give the dog a hot dog so he will shut up.
25. Fold the bread up around the hot dog.
26. Take a bite of the hot dog. It should be hot but not too hot to eat.
27. Alternate bites of the hot dog between sips of beer until both are gone. This may require eating multiple hot dogs.
28. When wife enters the kitchen and wants to know what you're doing, ask her if she'd like a hot dog.
29. When you are finished eating your hot dogs, leave all items where they are located within the kitchen. The wife will clean up after you but expect to hear some bitching.
30. Go turn on the tv and sit in recliner.

This is a great afternoon snack to enjoy a half-hour before your nap.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back