The Usa – An English-speaking Nation?

62 MILLION PEOPLE IN US NOW SPEAK LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH AT HOME

That figure represents a number much higher than first generation immigrants, who can be expected to struggle with English, and understandably so. If the second or third generation is still speaking a foreign language, this indicates that our country is becoming more of a multicultural one instead of its long standing status as a melting pot.

You certainly seem to be in the dark...

You seem to be avoiding the discussion, because you know it will lead to a conclusion that goes against yours.

And what do you imagine 'mine' to be?

I'm waiting for you to get to the point. Been waiting all night actually. Get to it.

Answer my question.

Not till you attempt to show you have one.

You suggested you know what 'my conclusion' is. State what you imagine it to be. Or are you "side-stepping" the topic again?

That figure represents a number much higher than first generation immigrants, who can be expected to struggle with English, and understandably so. If the second or third generation is still speaking a foreign language, this indicates that our country is becoming more of a multicultural one instead of its long standing status as a melting pot.

I have posted data on this several times now. By the 3rd generation, the large majority of immigrant families today use English as the primary means of communication even in the home. The pot is still cooking...

s

Hispanics are a group that is adamant about retaining Spanish as their primary language of usage no matter how long they have been here. Part of the reason being that they are the favored group for legal immigration and family reunifications into our country. Add to that massive illegal immigration from their ethnic group and you have a recipe for colonization not assimilation. Unless we put a halt to illegal immigration and start diversifying our legal immigration numbers this colonization will come to pass. Therefore any stats claiming otherwise are just bogus because they aren't including the above scenarios.

Last edited:
One only has to look at Miami alone where Cuban-Americans still speak Spanish as their primary language of usage. The whole southwest is filled with same only most are from south of our border. One cannot be serious that with Latinos overwhelmingly favored in our legal immigration numbers, family reunifications and massive illegal immigration that they will ever use English as their primary language of usage. Everywhere I go I hear them speaking Spanish exclusively. Did they all just come here yesterday?

I repeat, any stats to the contrary are not accounting for the above.

Spanish Speaking State Statistics Statistic Brain

Hispanics are a group that is adamant about retaining Spanish as their primary language of usage no matter how long they have been here. ...

That is simply untrue.

English Main Language for Hispanic Americans - ABC News

The above article actually proves my point. If we continue to import large numbers of Latinos both legally and illegally it will be a different story.

From the article:

“As the nation’s Latino population changes, what language Latinos use in their daily lives, including getting the news, might change,” Mark Lopez, associate director for the Pew Hispanic Center, told ABC News. ”Use of English rises through the generations. And as the share of foreign-born among Latinos falls, English will likely be used more by Hispanics.”

In other words this is all predicated on whether or not the foreign born Latino growth falls. Unless we stop favoring them in our legal immigration numbers and stop illegal immigration from mostly their group. Spanish usage by them will increase not decrease.

If the second or third generation is still speaking a foreign language, this indicates that our country is becoming more of a multicultural one instead of its long standing status as a melting pot.

No it doesn't.

This is my typical experience with Spanish in Miami area.

Immigrant speaks only Spanish with very limited English.
Immigrant child speaks Spanish and English fluently.
Immigrant grandchild speaks only English.

That is the typical pattern, and it has been for centuries.

Are you speaking of those of Cuban descent? Are you not aware that you can't even get a job in Miami unless you speak Spanish?

Immigration's Key RoleImmigration is the single most important factor working in favor of Spanish in the United States. About half of the 700,000 to one million legal immigrants who arrive annually come from Spanish-speaking countries. The percentage is higher for the estimated annual flow of 300,000 undocumented immigrants, according to Immigration and Naturalization figures.
The supply of newly arrived Spanish speakers will not dry up any time soon. Though the U.S. Congress in 1996 passed the toughest immigration laws since the 1920s, legal immigration ceilings were not reduced at all. But as the Hispanic presence in the United States continues to rise through immigration and high birth rates, there are sure to be renewed calls for ending immigration.
For now, population trends, especially in certain areas of the country, point to a long life for Spanish. "In California, Latinos are growing twice as fast as whites," wrote Gene García of the University of California at Berkeley. "The state predicts that the school population will be majority Latino by 2008. This population remains mostly first-generation immigrant...therefore, young children are likely to learn Spanish or become bilingual...The best predictor of a vitality of a language is whether that language is spoken by young children."

Are you speaking of those of Cuban descent? Are you not aware that you can't even get a job in Miami unless you speak Spanish?
Bullshit. We employ many people that don't speak Spanish. And quite a few of the are third generation Hispanics.

Forum List

Back