The US Women vs. Japan!

I promise you, your life will not be impacted in ANY WAY by the game today, or any sports game ever played. Unless of course you lost money to a bookie on this game or something.

I don't bet or gamble in any form. That's an activity for idiots.

I wasted more than two hours of my life paying attention to that game today. Two hours that I will not be able to get back. My time is very precious to me, so I do not like to waste it on losing causes. Especially when they should not have been losing causes.

I promise you, your life will not be impacted in ANY WAY by the game today, or any sports game ever played. Unless of course you lost money to a bookie on this game or something.

I wasted more than two hours of my life paying attention to that game today. Two hours that I will not be able to get back. My time is very precious to me, so I do not like to waste it on losing causes. Especially when they should not have been losing causes.

You poor poor baby. Give us an address to send the condolence flowers to.

Soccer sucks - a bunch of idiots running around the field bouncing balls off their heads. :D Like most women's sports, women's soccer sucks more. It's basically a kind of Special Olympics. :lmao:

The USA put together a great team that represented my country well so I have no complaints.

And much kudos to the Japanese team that would simply not give up.:clap2:

Now, if the Red Sox could just beat the Rays in this 15-inning scoreless marathon I’m trying to keep up with while at work…

Gee, why is soccer the most exciting sport on the planet? Why has Frank taken time off during every World Cup since 1982 to watch USA, Italy or Brasil?

Oh, I don't know, try watching this and see if you can figure it out for yourself

‪Women's World Cup 2011 Germany Abby Wambach Extra Time Goal USA vs Brazil‬‏ - YouTube

The goal scorer gets the credit and hug but that phenomenal crossing pass is why they scored

that was a nice cross and a nice header, but actually it's a horrible fault of the "goal-keeper".

Soccer sucks - a bunch of idiots running around the field bouncing balls off their heads. :D Like most women's sports, women's soccer sucks more. It's basically a kind of Special Olympics. :lmao:

Yeah, like you could hold a candle to any on that team. :lol::lol::lol: Or any of those teams.

Tho you might like the Brazilians...they whine and fake injuries.

I actually know how you feel Anachronism, I get angry whent the team I am rooting for loses and I feel like I wasted my time, thank god I didn't actually watch the whole game.

Thought our girls had it, what a shame.

They should have had it, and you're right it is truly a shame. A shame on that coach, those players, and the entire program. A shame which they should not easily or quickly be forgiven for, either.

I was really impressed by Alex Morgan and Abby Wombach, they played their asses off and deserved to win. Reminds me of the 2010 Celtics, life isn't fair and these opportunities only come around so often, they will always look at this world cup as the one that got away.

.... they will always look at this world cup as the one that got away.

THIS World Cup? H_G they've been in THREE of the last FOUR WWC Finals and they've only won ONE Cup. At this point, choking is the NORM for this team. They don't have the guts, the spine, the heart or the Killer Instinct to put these teams away. Until they find that instinct, they will get no more support from me.

.... they will always look at this world cup as the one that got away.

THIS World Cup? H_G they've been in THREE of the last FOUR WWC Finals and they've only won ONE Cup. At this point, choking is the NORM for this team. They don't have the guts, the spine, the heart or the Killer Instinct to put these teams away. Until they find that instinct, they will get no more support from me.

Oh wow I didn't know they were in that many world cups, they may have a problem with choking on the big stage like Lebron James. You are right something has to be done.

The first WWC was played in 1991. The US won it. We also won in 1999. In 1995, 2003, & 2007 we finished in Third Place (my aplogies, I thought we'd been the runner up in 2003). We ended up as the runner-up this year. We have also won 3 of the 4 Olympic Gold Medals in the sport (Silver in 2000).

This SHOULD be a sport that we dominate in. It definitely has been in the past. Results like yesterday are as unacceptable in my mind as the 1980 Miracle on Ice game was to the Soviets or the 1994 World Cup (Men's) own-goal that gave the US a victory was to the Columbians.

The first WWC was played in 1991. The US won it. We also won in 1999. In 1995, 2003, & 2007 we finished in Third Place (my aplogies, I thought we'd been the runner up in 2003). We ended up as the runner-up this year. We have also won 3 of the 4 Olympic Gold Medals in the sport (Silver in 2000).

This SHOULD be a sport that we dominate in. It definitely has been in the past. Results like yesterday are as unacceptable in my mind as the 1980 Miracle on Ice game was to the Soviets or the 1994 World Cup (Men's) own-goal that gave the US a victory was to the Columbians.

I agree with you we really should be winning these games, our womens team is definently good enough to do it but things always seem to go wrong in the Final moments, its frustrating cause these things only come around once every 4 years.

I would have had more respect for the ladies if they'd done something similar to the 1976 US Men's Olympic Basketball team, but that would probably be too much to expect. If you don't know THAT story, look it up. It makes the 1980 Miracle on Ice event even more poignant.

1) soccer sucks
2) That was an awesome game no matter how you slice it. Both teams were great. The Japanese just were that little bit more tenacious. They seemed to play better when they were down. They sure were more focused at the end than the American team. It just seemed that the American women got a bit too sure of themselves.
Either way, for a sucky sport, that was an awesome game from both sides.

nn20110718x2a.jpg

Japan took a welcome break from months of tragedy on Monday, basking in its unlikely victory over the United States in the Women's World Cup soccer final.

They beat the Americans for the title in a riveting final Sunday night, 3-1 on penalty kicks, after coming from behind twice in a 2-2 tie. The star of the shootout was feisty goalkeeper Ayumi Kaihori, who made two brilliant saves in the shootout.

Joyous fans decked out in the national team's dark blue uniforms hugged and sang in Tokyo as they watched their team lift the winner's trophy on live broadcasts from Germany.

"This is a chance to forget the nuclear disaster and everything else, to just unite and celebrate," said 22-year-old Toru Komatsu.

All tournament long the teammates reminded the world they were playing for their battered country, still reeling from the devastation of the March 11 quake and tsunami. Did they ever. They held the gleaming trophy high above their smiling faces as confetti swirled around the podium, flecking their hair with gold.

"Before we went to the match tonight we had some commentary on television and we heard comments on the situation in Japan," coach Norio Sasaki said. "We wanted to use this opportunity to thank the people back home for the support that has been given."

This was Japan's first appearance in the final of a major tournament, and it had not beaten the Americans in its first 25 meetings, including a pair of 2-0 losses in warmup games a month before the World Cup. But the "Nadeshiko" pushed ahead, playing inspired soccer and hoping their success could provide even a small emotional lift to their nation, where nearly 23,000 people died or were reported missing.

After each game, the team unfurled a banner saying, "To our Friends Around the World — Thank You for Your Support." On Sunday, they did it before the match and afterward they had a new sign to display: Champion — the first Asian country to win this title. Saki Kumagai completed a fairy tale finish with the decisive spot kick.

Tournament MVP Homare Sawa forced penalties with an equalizer in the second extra period as Japan twice came from behind, and Kaihori saved two penalties in the shootout before Kumagai buried the winner. "I'm both delighted and surprised," said Kumagai. "I just hit the ball as hard as I could."

The Americans had taken the lead in the second half of normal time through a superb strike from Alex Morgan, but Aya Miyama capitalized on poor defending to equalize in the 81st minute.

The U.S. went in front for the second time in the match in the 104th minute through Abby Wambach's header but Sawa flicked in a corner to secure the Golden Boot with her fifth goal of the tournament. "I can't believe it," said Sawa. "We have got this result because we never stopped fighting until the end. This has been my goal and now I can take home the gold medal."

The team, whose Nadeshiko nickname comes from a pink frilled carnation symbolizing grace and beauty, is sure to be given a heroes' welcome when it returns after capturing the imagination of the Japanese public.

"There is no happier president than a World Cup winner," said Japan Football Association president Junji Ogura. "The players have showed the brilliance of Japanese women. I want Sawa to be on the organizing committee if Japan hosts the Women's World Cup."

The victory came against a backdrop of concern about the crippled nuclear power plant run by Tokyo Electric Power Co., which has leaked radiation into the sea and surrounding areas.

Several members of the national squad played for the former professional team sponsored by the electric company, with at least one working at the plant before it was damaged. But Nadeshiko provided at least a brief respite from the bad news on Monday morning.

That whole tie breaker **** in soccer is the worst possible rule.

It would be like settling a tie in basketball with a free throw contest.

Play until someone wins or don't plat at all

Forum List

Back