Nov 22, 2003
I don't think so:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A7995-2005Mar28?language=printer

Plans by U.S. to Dominate Space Raising Concerns
Arms Experts Worried at Pentagon Push for Superiority
By Walter Pincus
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 29, 2005; Page A02

Arms control advocates in the United States and abroad are expressing concern with the Bush administration's push for military superiority in space.

A series of Pentagon doctrinal papers, released over the past year, have emphasized that the U.S. military is increasingly dependent on space satellites for offensive and defensive operations, and must be able to protect them in times of war.

The Air Force in August put forward a Counterspace Operations Doctrine, which described "ways and means by which the Air Force achieves and maintains space superiority" and has worked to develop weapons to accomplish such missions.

On March 1, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld signed a new National Defense Strategy paper that said the use of space "enables us to project power anywhere in the world from secure bases of operation." A key goal of Rumsfeld's new strategy is "to ensure our access to and use of space and to deny hostile exploitation of space to adversaries."

The Pentagon is developing a suborbital space capsule that could hit targets anywhere in the world within two hours of being launched from U.S. bases. It also is developing systems that could attack potential enemy satellites, destroying them or temporarily preventing them from sending signals.

Michael Krepon, president emeritus of the Henry L. Stimson Center and an arms control official in the Clinton administration, said the United States is moving toward a national space doctrine that is "preemptive and proactive." He expects the Bush administration to produce a new National Space Policy statement soon that will contrast with the one adopted in 1996 by President Bill Clinton.

"We adopted the traditional U.S. position of being a reluctant space warrior," Krepon said of the Clinton position. "Space was to be used for peaceful purposes, but if someone messed with us, we couldn't allow that to happen. But it was not our space policy preference."

Krepon last week attended a conference in Geneva organized by the Chinese and Russian governments on preventing an arms race in outer space. Moscow and Beijing have for years promoted a new treaty to govern arms in space, since the current international agreement prohibits only nuclear or other weapons of mass destruction in space...

Kathianne said:
A series of Pentagon doctrinal papers, released over the past year, have emphasized that the U.S. military is increasingly dependent on space satellites for offensive and defensive operations, and must be able to protect them in times of war.
From 2001: A Space Odyssey: a human discovers that an animal bone can be used as a weapon. While fighting for possession of a waterhole, he uses the bone to kill. In exaltation, he tosses the bone into the air. It slowly spins end-over-end and morphs into a spaceship. Kubrick's visualization of weapons as a human engine of technological advancement is not analogy or allegory; it is fact. The rockets we ride into space are weapons. GPS is a JDAM and cruise missile system component. Weapons are already in space. Will America or some other country command the high ground? In addition to satellite defense, the US is developing offensive anti-satellite weapons. They will be deployed.

onedomino said:
From 2001: A Space Odyssey: a human discovers that an animal bone can be used as a weapon. While fighting for possession of a waterhole, he uses the bone to kill. In exaltation, he tosses the bone into the air. It slowly spins end-over-end and morphs into a spaceship. Kubrick's visualization of weapons as a human engine of technological advancement is not analogy or allegory; it is fact. The rockets we ride into space are weapons. GPS is a JDAM and cruise missile system component. Weapons are already in space. Will America or some other country command the high ground? In addition to satellite defense, the US is developing offensive anti-satellite weapons. They will be deployed.

My feeling, we are way ahead on this. So too, we've 'owned the night' for quite awhile now, I'm sure others have caught up; we control the seas. Never look back, move forward.

The best rule of war is, always seek the advantage. There's no country I can think of which ever won a war by making sure its enemy had the same technology...by being 'fair'.

-=d=- said:
The best rule of war is, always seek the advantage. There's no country I can think of which ever won a war by making sure its enemy had the same technology...by being 'fair'.

I know, it's like there's this giant conspiracy to help the other nations 'improve their self-esteem.' Crap.

Kathianne said:
I know, it's like there's this giant conspiracy to help the other nations 'improve their self-esteem.' Crap.

i just had a thought....if we kill them they won't feel so bad.... :alco:

Forum List

Back