The US Is Perceived Differently

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
by other countries. This essay is touching on something that certainly seems to be effecting the US in serious ways:

http://www.davidwarrenonline.com/Comment/Aug04/index237.shtml

Surrealism

If the U.S. presidential election were held in Canada, John Kerry would win a landslide, with at least three-quarters of the vote, perhaps taking even Alberta. But they don't hold it here. (My reader will immediately grasp why no Republican administration could ever wish to annex Canada. Conquer and enslave us perhaps, but no plan that involved an extension of the franchise could fail to subvert the invaders.)

The world at large, and even the arguably-allied West, might well vote differently from the Americans, given their druthers. But they aren't Americans, and no matter how similar or dissimilar their societies, they do not carry the responsibilities which our southern neighbours bear. The U.S. simply IS the world's uncontested superpower -- the adult in the planetary kindergarten -- and with that comes an outlook no one else can fully share.

Do the Americans know what they do impinges on everyone else's existence? Yes, to some small degree; though a perceived self-interest will triumph in the U.S. is it would anywhere. There is, however, a generosity of spirit in the American outlook that is missing everywhere else I have travelled, and it belongs with their power.

And ignorance is bliss: no other nation could cope, so well as the Americans have done, with the abuse they receive (Israel offers the nearest comparison, Taiwan is perhaps third, and the German people, for historical reasons, often get more abuse than they have earned). In each case, the ability to ignore insults has required a little artifice in addition to the usual human insensibility. But it helps to be hidden within the biomass of a huge country.

Those who mock the U.S. electoral system, with its thick encrustations of special interests, their wild extra-party advertising, legislative gerrymandering, myriad voting machines, and the odd hanging chad, generally fail to preserve some sense of proportion. Look at elections in Algeria (blood running in streets), Zimbabwe (systematic intimidation), Venezuela (poll-fixing by a revolutionist many of whose supporters claim he is the reincarnation of Simon Bolivar, and no I am not being facetious). Like India, the U.S. has very independent courts to settle disputed results, free speech and media, and for all its size, a robust sense of participation. On top of which, this year, there will be international observers.

But having said all this, I am at least slightly alarmed by the course of the 2004 elections. I have mentioned before my worry that a fissure is opening across the West, which is at its most apparent in the U.S. where the "two cultures" are closest to equality. The respective Christian and post-Christian cultures no longer share moral assumptions, and the Republicans and Democrats become, increasingly, not political parties competing for the allegiance of a broad middle, but rather, proxies for respective sides in the "culture wars".

I am not myself neutral in that battle, I am not post-Christian, and I cannot possibly look at candidates George W. Bush and John F. Kerry with the impartiality that media people (most of whom are on the other side) are accustomed to faking. For me, as for half of the U.S., Mr. Kerry is from Mars. For the other half, Mr. Bush is. There are precious few swing voters.

But again, this cultural confrontation is not limited to America. The people who voted for Silvio Berlusconi in Italy could, probably, live with Mr. Bush; the values Mr. Bush represents (whether well or poorly) are not confined to Texas.

What has become surreal in the U.S. presidential campaign, and which I hope will change after the Republican convention next week, is that the main topic of discussion is Vietnam. This is so, I suspect, not only because Mr. Kerry has chosen to campaign exclusively on the rather murky record of his personal service in Vietnam 36 years ago -- that is weird enough -- but because Vietnam is a proxy issue.

Iraq is being ignored; all questions associated with the larger international conflict that began on 9/11/01, are left undebated. The insistence on discussing the cockroach in the sink, when there is an elephant in the room, must strike any foreign observer as peculiar.

American democracy is not threatened by radical or unprecedented or demogogic views, or by any prospective mechanical failure in the system. It is instead suffering from the inability of either political party or the media to speak openly about what is going on.

Is the U.S. as a nation thus acting in its "strong silent" mode? Or are government and people alike at a loss over what lies before them?

David Warren

Iraq is being ignored; all questions associated with the larger international conflict that began on 9/11/01, are left undebated. The insistence on discussing the cockroach in the sink, when there is an elephant in the room, must strike any foreign observer as peculiar.

American democracy is not threatened by radical or unprecedented or demogogic views, or by any prospective mechanical failure in the system. It is instead suffering from the inability of either political party or the media to speak openly about what is going on.

Is the U.S. as a nation thus acting in its "strong silent" mode? Or are government and people alike at a loss over what lies before them?

I suspect and hope this is because we've only really seen one side of the contest so far, that being the selection of the Democratic nominee, what he has to say, and the administration's various responses to him.

I expect a more thorough discussion of where we were, where we are, and where we are going during the President's second-term.

The RNC will be the opportunity for Republicans to discuss something other than Vietnam, namely the infinitely more relevant trials and successes of the past four years. It's been reported that the task of describing a second-term will be the President's alone, on the last day of the convention.

Further, Sen. Kerry has repeatedly come striding forward in the last days or weeks of elections to win. I would assume Karl Rove is taking this fact under consideration, and accordingly saving strength for the fight he believes will last right up to Election Day.

I think the author knows the truth but is hoping for the best in asking "Is America in strong and silent mode?"

this country is facing a lack of leadership from both parties, politicians who want to focus on what divides us rather than the issues that we must unite to overcome.

whether you supported the decision to invade/liberate iraq or not, everyone sees this is an issue that divided the country deeply.
gays, guns and God are three others that have divided the country deeply.

for the record, i am against gay marriage (but want to leave it to the states), against more gun control (we already have way too much) and think God is owned by neither party, even though the party I belong to (GOP) has many who seem to believe they have exclusive rights to him.
and i was for liberating iraq.

i see honorable viewpoints on the opposing side, but i think everyone should start talking about the issues we need to spend some time on as well

in no particular order

CHINA, Wage Growth vs. Cost Of Living, Trade and Budget Deficeits, Crumbling Energy,Transporation, Health and Educational Infrastructure, the environment(are we going to care about animals more than we care about our economy and our rights to peaceful sanctuary), and a lack of true, effective leadership abroad that stops focusing on just the war on terror (against islamic fundamentalists) and takes into account those regimes who terrorize their own people and others

What has become surreal in the U.S. presidential campaign, and which I hope will change after the Republican convention next week, is that the main topic of discussion is Vietnam. This is so, I suspect, not only because Mr. Kerry has chosen to campaign exclusively on the rather murky record of his personal service in Vietnam 36 years ago -- that is weird enough -- but because Vietnam is a proxy issue.

I don't think Mr. Warren is giving enough weight to the Christian and "post-Christian" argument that America is waging. Perhaps living in a "post-Christian" country he does not realize how we value the importance of good character in a President. There is still a majority of Christians in America and this issue cuts to the very essence and heart of our country. That is truely the elephant in the room, not the cockroach in the sink.

Kathianne said:
by other countries. This essay is touching on something that certainly seems to be effecting the US in serious ways:

http://www.davidwarrenonline.com/Comment/Aug04/index237.shtml

Interesting, though I'm not sure where he's trying to go with his essay. We need to stop comparing our republic to places like Algeria, Zimbabwe and Venezuela when we want to make the case that the criticism of our electoral system is invalid.

Americans need to realize that we are far from the only free nation on
Earth. In fact, several countries around the world could be considered "more free" then we are. That is, they have governments that are less restrictive then ours. Our government has a tendancy to fill-up prisons with its own citizens for petty crimes. Other Western nations don't do this.

What really separates us from everyone else is our enormous military power. Desipite this, is it really realistic to think Europe or Japan could not defend themselves if need be from just about any military threat? The difference is we are willing to use military power at the drop of a hat. Does that make us a better country then other Western Democracies? I used to think America stood at the head of the Western democracies. That is no longer the case. We are now viewed as a selfish bully.

We are a planetary adult among infants? That's not true. We are more like a middle school bully.

busch2008 said:
Interesting, though I'm not sure where he's trying to go with his essay. We need to stop comparing our republic to places like Algeria, Zimbabwe and Venezuela when we want to make the case that the criticism of our electoral system is invalid.

Americans need to realize that we are far from the only free nation on
Earth. In fact, several countries around the world could be considered "more free" then we are. That is, they have governments that are less restrictive then ours. Our government has a tendancy to fill-up prisons with its own citizens for petty crimes. Other Western nations don't do this.

What really separates us from everyone else is our enormous military power. Desipite this, is it really realistic to think Europe or Japan could not defend themselves if need be from just about any military threat? The difference is we are willing to use military power at the drop of a hat. Does that make us a better country then other Western Democracies? I used to think America stood at the head of the Western democracies. That is no longer the case. We are now viewed as a selfish bully.

We are a planetary adult among infants? That's not true. We are more like a middle school bully.

drop of a hat??????? do you see any bombs dropping on NK or Iran right now??? this is called restraint and diplomacy !!!!!!!!

Americans need to realize that we are far from the only free nation on Earth. In fact, several countries around the world could be considered "more free" then we are. That is, they have governments that are less restrictive then ours. Our government has a tendancy to fill-up prisons with its own citizens for petty crimes. Other Western nations don't do this.
Many of these countries also have extremely high taxes, a lot of anti-Semitism (France), they can tell people what video games and movies they can and cannot have, and often have very harsh gun control laws.

I get the feeling there is very little real honest debate in the global arena about Bush vs. Kerry and the ramifications of foreign policy among each potential administration.

I say foreign policy, because unless other citizens are acting pretentious, they really could give two squirts about our domestic policy, insofar as that would effect international relations.

And this inevitably leads to discussion on Iraq, which any smug European can tell us, Bush had completely violated all aspects of civil discourse and behavior in carrying through. Sometimes he's faulted on recent events such as Abu Gharaib, sometimes it goes back to 'his' failure to establish law and order immediately after Saddam vacated power, to protect the zoo and museums, or be mindfull of civilian deaths 'only now' apparent without Saddam in charge and sanctions in placde.

But more often that not this leads back even further, even before Bush's lack of respect for UN diplomacy on Saddam's display of good behavior (while the UN adminstration collected vast sums of oil bribes illegally, an issue now strangely 'dissappered'), until I see a memory in my mind of anti-Bush rhetoric related to actions well before Iraq was on the map... running backwards it was the 'war crimes' against Afgan fighters in Guantanomo, or the 'CIA sponsored' massacre of prisoners among POW camps in Northern alliance controlled camps, to how Bush failed to keep them from taking revenge upon them in brutal fashion, and additionally our failure to let humanitarian aid through in war torn areas, before that was the 'dishonorable combat' from above and with superior firepower, lust for civilian casualties. Bush should never have challenged the Taliban without proof of harbouring Osama, failed to give time for them to capture him and treat it like a law enforcement issue, assumed they were lying about not knowing Osama's whereabouts.

Beyond the one week reprieve America had after 9/11, was how Bush risked war by 'violating' the missle defence treaty with Russia, or what appeared to be some kind of criminal act from failing to support Kyoto.

And before that it was how stupid he sounded, or that he was from Texas, or he was a Christian.

And going back to the very start, how the world felt he had 'cheated' his way to election.

So, in a nutshell, Bush never could win. He was doomed to be a black swan, simply because the bulk of our allies were from the starty, far more left than even Clinton was trying to be. The Iraqi issue is meaningless in the grand scheme.

The further left of our 'allied' Democracies really don't care if Kerry comes out and admits something like:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/09/kerry.iraq/

"Kerry stands by 'yes' vote on Iraq war"

He had them at 'hello'.

Forum List

Back