The US Has Neglected Our Own Hemisphere

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, May 22, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and there may well be a high price to pay for it. There seems little doubt to me that most Americans, myself included find our borders a problem, but truly have little interest in the countries to our South, unless we're planning a warm weather vacation.

The repercussions from the neglect are found in those countries, by both those that are in control and those that are their civilians. Many of the latter are trying to get into the US-which DOES get our attention, if NOT our government's.

I thought the following of related interest, though it's only a 'preview', I think I'll look for the journal at the library this afternoon:

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20050...ow-the-street-gangs-took-central-america.html

2. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Well, golly, if we didn't have resources tied up in an illegal and unjust war in Iraq, and Dubbyuh really had made our borders safer and more secure, it wouldn;t be an issue now...would it?

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You know I disagree with your opening premise. Now on the borders, we may well have common ground. Even if we were enforcing, which we are not, it wouldn't stop the legals from returning home and back again.