The US Has Had 285 Hurricane Strikes Since 1850

daveman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2010
On the way to the Dark Tower.
Team climate moron tells us that the US is now vulnerable to hurricanes, due to climate change.

The US has always been vulnerable to hurricanes. Eighty-six percent of US hurricane strikes occurred with CO2 below Hansen’s safe level of 350 PPM.

screenhunter_142-aug-04-07-42.jpg

Team climate moron tells us that the US is now vulnerable to hurricanes, due to climate change.

The US has always been vulnerable to hurricanes. Eighty-six percent of US hurricane strikes occurred with CO2 below Hansen’s safe level of 350 PPM.

Do we know when the CO2 level reached 350?
I don't.

But judging from the graph, which is based on actual, real science (because the AGW cultists can't tell), it looks like the more CO2, the fewer hurricanes.

But that contradicts their dogma.

I don't.

But judging from the graph, which is based on actual, real science (because the AGW cultists can't tell), it looks like the more CO2, the fewer hurricanes.

The reason I ask is if, for example, it only reached that level last year, then you'd be comparing 160 years to one.
Drawing a firm conclusion from one graph is dangerous.

1987 349.16 The last year when the annual CO2 level was less than 350 ppm

Annual Data | Atmospheric CO2 | CO2 Now | Current CO2

I don't.

The reason I ask is if, for example, it only reached that level last year, then you'd be comparing 160 years to one.
Per Rat's link, CO2 has been above 350 ppm for 24 years now.

So is it true we never had a hurricane until 1950 or thereabouts.
We never had one until the baby boomers started making money
and the cars showed up on the road.
How about the few World Wars we had way back when....
Back when the factories were going non stop spewing their filth into the air.
We now have more safety standards then ever before.
All of a sudden man is the cause of Hurricanes.

Pa leeeeeze.

I don't.

Yep, looking at that it looks like the incidence of hurricanes hasn't increased at all.
What about the intensity?
Isn't one of the warnings also that they will become more dangerous as the warming seas provide more energy?

Yep, looking at that it looks like the incidence of hurricanes hasn't increased at all.
What about the intensity?
Isn't one of the warnings also that they will become more dangerous as the warming seas provide more energy?
Other articles I've seen show that Sandy really wasn't all that intense. It was just big.

Not sure what dave is talking about now, since there's nothing in AGW theory about more hurricanes. I do see he's grabbing stuff from political crank Steve Goddard, which is never a wise idea.

The thing that affects hurricanes hitting the northeast USA is the Arctic Oscillation, whether it's positive or negative. A positive Arctic Oscillation parks a low over Greenland, which sucks hurricanes that go north back out into the Atlantic. A negative Arctic Oscillation parks a high pressure blocking ridge over Greenland, which shoves the hurricanes westward into the USA.

For most of the last 40 years or so, there's been a positive Arctic oscillation, meaning few hurricanes hitting the northeast. Prior to that, there were more hurricanes hitting the northeast.

In the last couple years, the Arctic Oscillation has gone mostly negative. Why? Good question. Some theories show a lack of sea ice driving the more negative condition. More investigating is needed on this recent change, so it's in progress.

(Cue conspiracy theory kook responses now.)

Not sure what dave is talking about now, since there's nothing in AGW theory about more hurricanes.
Really?

Hurricanes and Global Warming FAQs | Center for Climate and Energy Solutions
Is the frequency of hurricanes increasing?

There is an ongoing scientific debate about the link between increased North Atlantic hurricane activity and global warming. The 2007 report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change rates the probability of such a link as “more likely than not.” View a figure of the frequency of tropical storms in the North Atlantic.​

More Scientists Say Global Warming Causes Stronger Hurricanes - ABC News
"There's good evidence to show that Category 4 and 5 storms indeed are becoming more common and a bigger part of the overall pictures of the hurricanes in the world," said Kevin Trenberth, a scientist at the government-funded National Center for Atmospheric Research.

Trenberth is the author of one of the papers, which links stronger hurricanes to warmer seas and global warming caused by humans. Global warming, he says, has caused increases in sea levels and in the temperature of the oceans, which increases water vapor in the atmosphere and provides fuel for massive storms.

--

"It's not the number of storms, it's the intensity," Trenberth said. "Once we've got a hurricane or a tropical storm, then the storms are apt to be more intense than they otherwise would be."

Trenberth calculates Hurricane Katrina was stronger and dumped an extra inch of rainfall because of global warming -- an inch that could have made a big difference.​

Global Warming Systemically Caused Hurricane Sandy
Global warming systemically caused the huge and ferocious Hurricane Sandy. And consequently, it systemically caused all the loss of life, material damage, and economic loss of Hurricane Sandy. Global warming heated the water of the Gulf and Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, resulting in greatly increased energy and water vapor in the air above the water. When that happens, extremely energetic and wet storms occur more frequently and ferociously. These systemic effects of global warming came together to produce the ferocity and magnitude of Hurricane Sandy.

Consequences of Global Warming - Global Warming Effects | NRDC
The Consequences of Global Warming
On Weather Patterns
Higher temperatures could lead to increased droughts and wildfires, heavier rainfall and a greater number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes.

More Powerful and Dangerous Hurricanes
Warmer water in the oceans pumps more energy into tropical storms, making them stronger and potentially more destructive. Even with storms of the same intensity, future hurricanes will cause more damage as higher sea levels exacerbate storm surges, flooding, and erosion.​

Looks like you're wrong. Again.

You should be used to that.

Not sure what dave is talking about now, since there's nothing in AGW theory about more hurricanes.
Really?

Hurricanes and Global Warming FAQs | Center for Climate and Energy Solutions
Is the frequency of hurricanes increasing?

There is an ongoing scientific debate about the link between increased North Atlantic hurricane activity and global warming. The 2007 report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change rates the probability of such a link as “more likely than not.” View a figure of the frequency of tropical storms in the North Atlantic.​

More Scientists Say Global Warming Causes Stronger Hurricanes - ABC News
"There's good evidence to show that Category 4 and 5 storms indeed are becoming more common and a bigger part of the overall pictures of the hurricanes in the world," said Kevin Trenberth, a scientist at the government-funded National Center for Atmospheric Research.

Trenberth is the author of one of the papers, which links stronger hurricanes to warmer seas and global warming caused by humans. Global warming, he says, has caused increases in sea levels and in the temperature of the oceans, which increases water vapor in the atmosphere and provides fuel for massive storms.

--

"It's not the number of storms, it's the intensity," Trenberth said. "Once we've got a hurricane or a tropical storm, then the storms are apt to be more intense than they otherwise would be."

Trenberth calculates Hurricane Katrina was stronger and dumped an extra inch of rainfall because of global warming -- an inch that could have made a big difference.​

Global Warming Systemically Caused Hurricane Sandy
Global warming systemically caused the huge and ferocious Hurricane Sandy. And consequently, it systemically caused all the loss of life, material damage, and economic loss of Hurricane Sandy. Global warming heated the water of the Gulf and Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, resulting in greatly increased energy and water vapor in the air above the water. When that happens, extremely energetic and wet storms occur more frequently and ferociously. These systemic effects of global warming came together to produce the ferocity and magnitude of Hurricane Sandy.

Consequences of Global Warming - Global Warming Effects | NRDC
The Consequences of Global Warming
On Weather Patterns
Higher temperatures could lead to increased droughts and wildfires, heavier rainfall and a greater number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes.

More Powerful and Dangerous Hurricanes
Warmer water in the oceans pumps more energy into tropical storms, making them stronger and potentially more destructive. Even with storms of the same intensity, future hurricanes will cause more damage as higher sea levels exacerbate storm surges, flooding, and erosion.​

Looks like you're wrong. Again.

You should be used to that.
Bump for moothy.

Um, thanks for the data confirming what I said.

Did you want me to say something else? I don't see what I can add beyond "thank you".

Wow. I really don't know what to make of such blatant lying.

You claimed there was nothing in AGW about hurricanes. I proved there was, even quoting the IPCC.

Then you say I confirmed what you said.

Wow. Just...wow.

I said "more hurricanes". You left out the "more". It's right up there above.

Oh look, did I just catch Dave red-handed being a lying sack o' crap again? Why yes, I did. Not that it's difficult. Dave is one of those guys who thinks he has a god-given right to lie, and that he's the victim if he gets called on it. Standard sociopath behavior, and the conservative cult attracts those types.

Again, the consensus is stronger hurricanes, but not more hurricanes. Dave was a moron for proudly claiming that a lack of more hurricanes disproves AGW, being AGW theory doesn't call for more hurricanes.

Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory - Global Warming and Hurricanes
---
There are better than even odds that anthropogenic warming over the next century will lead to an increase in the numbers of very intense hurricanes in some basins—an increase that would be substantially larger in percentage terms than the 2-11% increase in the average storm intensity. This increase in intense storm numbers is projected despite a likely decrease (or little change) in the global numbers of all tropical storms.
---

See? Not more storms, but stronger storms. Like Sandy.

Dave, of course, will now pretend he never saw this, and then, in the future, repost the same crap that he knows is crap. Because that's what cultists like Dave do.

Hate to break it to you, but as Hurricanes go, Sandy was not a strong storm.
In fact, when it came ashore it was a Cat 1. The Highest winds associated with Sandy at landfall were 85MPH with no gusts above 100MPH.

I said "more hurricanes". You left out the "more". It's right up there above.

Oh look, did I just catch Dave red-handed being a lying sack o' crap again? Why yes, I did. Not that it's difficult. Dave is one of those guys who thinks he has a god-given right to lie, and that he's the victim if he gets called on it. Standard sociopath behavior, and the conservative cult attracts those types.

Again, the consensus is stronger hurricanes, but not more hurricanes. Dave was a moron for proudly claiming that a lack of more hurricanes disproves AGW, being AGW theory doesn't call for more hurricanes.

Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory - Global Warming and Hurricanes
---
There are better than even odds that anthropogenic warming over the next century will lead to an increase in the numbers of very intense hurricanes in some basins—an increase that would be substantially larger in percentage terms than the 2-11% increase in the average storm intensity. This increase in intense storm numbers is projected despite a likely decrease (or little change) in the global numbers of all tropical storms.
---

Dave, of course, will now pretend he never saw this, and then, in the future, repost the same crap that he knows is crap. Because that's what cultists like Dave do.
You project more than a 10-screen theater, kid.

But thanks for giving me a chance to highlight your failure yet again.

Stronger storms like Sandy?

Bullshit.

Hurricane Sandy’s ‘Unprecedented’ Storm Surge | Watts Up With That?
Funny thing… Hurricane Sandy’s unprecedented storm surge was likely surpassed in the New England hurricanes of 1635 and 1638. From 1635 through 1954, New England was hit by at least five hurricanes producing greater than 3 m storm surges in New England. Analysis of sediment cores led to the conclusion “that at least seven hurricanes of intensity sufficient to produce storm surge capable of overtopping the barrier beach (>3 m) at Succotash Marsh have made landfall in southern New England in the past 700 yr.” All seven of those storms occurred prior to 1960.

--

Even funnier thing… The 1635 and 1638 hurricanes occurred before Al Gore invented global warming…

--

Even more funny thing… The 1600′s were the coldest century of the last two millennia…

--

But the funniest thing is that the 1600′s were possibly the coldest century of the Holocene since the 8.2 KYA Cooling Event…

--

Disclaimer: I’m not implying that Hurricane (AKA post-tropical cyclone) Sandy or its devastating effects on millions of people are funny. I’m only saying that efforts to link this storm to global warming are [crazy smilie].​

Reality disagrees with your cult, boy. No amount of faux-superior posturing on your account can alter that simple fact.

Just a guess, but most likely there will be some more next year.

Most expensive hurricanes in US history

11. Hurricane Agnes 1972 Cat 1 11.7 billion

10. Hurrican Hugo 1989 Cat 4 9.7 billion

9. Hurricane Rita 2005 Cat 3 11.8 billion

8. Hurricane Irene 2011 Cat 1 15.8 billion

7. Hurricane Charley 2004 Cat 4 15.8 billion

6. Hurricane Ivan 2004 Cat 3 19.8 billion

5. Hurricane Wilma 2005 Cat 3 20.6 billion

4. Hurricane Ike 2008 Cat 2 27.8 billion

3. Hurricane Andrew 1992 Cat 5 45.5 billion

2. Hurricane Sandy 2012 Cat 1 50 billion

1. Hurricane Katrina 2005 Cat 3 105.8 billion

Now this list is just as misleading as your graph. None before 1972. Does that mean there were no really damaging storms before 1972? No, it means that there was a lot less property in the way of the storms.

Note the number of Cat 1 storms on the list. The amount damage and human suffering is not totally dependent on the strength of the storm. It's size, the circumstance that surrounds it, and the amount of rain, and time spent over an area, as well as other factors, figure in on the total damage.

The 11 Costliest Hurricanes in U.S. History - DailyFinance

Hate to break it to you, but as Hurricanes go, Sandy was not a strong storm.
In fact, when it came ashore it was a Cat 1. The Highest winds associated with Sandy at landfall were 85MPH with no gusts above 100MPH.

I thought it came ashore as an extratropical cyclone?

Forum List

Back