The US government underestimated solar energy installation in the US by 4,813%

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
Interesting.

The only thing certain in this life are death, taxes and the US department of energy’s massive underestimate of renewable energy capacity.

Every two years, the US Energy Information Administration (EIA), America’s official source for energy statistics, issues scenarios about how much solar, wind and conventional energy the future holds for the US. Every two years, since the mid-1990s, the EIA is wrong. Last year, it was spectacularly wrong.

The Natural Resources Defense Council and Statista recently teamed up to analyze the EIA’s predictions for energy usage and production. It found that the EIA’s ten-year estimates between 2006 to 2016 systematically understated the share of wind, solar and gas. Solar capacity, in particular, was a whopping 4,813% more in 2016 than the EIA had predicted it would be.

Interesting.

The only thing certain in this life are death, taxes and the US department of energy’s massive underestimate of renewable energy capacity.

Every two years, the US Energy Information Administration (EIA), America’s official source for energy statistics, issues scenarios about how much solar, wind and conventional energy the future holds for the US. Every two years, since the mid-1990s, the EIA is wrong. Last year, it was spectacularly wrong.

The Natural Resources Defense Council and Statista recently teamed up to analyze the EIA’s predictions for energy usage and production. It found that the EIA’s ten-year estimates between 2006 to 2016 systematically understated the share of wind, solar and gas. Solar capacity, in particular, was a whopping 4,813% more in 2016 than the EIA had predicted it would be.
Not surprising since they can't even balance the budget.

Interesting.

And now that we know the growth in solar energy was grossly underestimated, is Trump revising his push to invest in coal rather than solar? I doubt it. And what country is taking the lead in solar energy technology and implementations?

• Banned
Interesting.

And now that we know the growth in solar energy was grossly underestimated, is Trump revising his push to invest in coal rather than solar? I doubt it. And what country is taking the lead in solar energy technology and implementations?

Better brush up on your Mandarin.

Interesting.

I speak Mandarin...not great, but well enough to get by in social situations and in the course of going about daily life -- shopping, taking taxis, meeting people in bars and other social settings -- but not well enough to do business in Mandarin.

Interesting.

I speak Mandarin...not great, but well enough to get by in social situations and in the course of going about daily life -- shopping, taking taxis, meeting people in bars and other social settings -- but not well enough to do business in Mandarin.
I speak Mandarin...

OT:
I just called an acquaintance with whom I've not spoken in a couple years. A Spanish speaking person answered the phone (apparently one whose English isn't strong enough to say "I think you've dialed the wrong number"). Though I speak somewhat decent Spanish, my first instinct was to respond to her in Mandarin, which is what I did initially -- I'm blaming you for my having done that. LOL (just kidding) -- and then I caught myself and switched to Spanish.

I have no idea why I did that....Perhaps it's an "artifact," if you will, from my experiences at myriad social events whereat I've found myself conversing with several people who are not all native speakers of English. Often in such conversations the speakers, myself included, will switch among various languages -- usually to utter interjections, idiomatic colloquialisms, and/or transitional phrases -- over the course of the discussion. That happens quite often at events I attend in NYC, D.C., London, Singapore and Tokyo.​

Interesting.

What does your links have anything to do with it?

Interesting.

China IDLES most of it's renewables way too often. It's a SUPPLEMENT to them. Not a fundamental power source. And that's the way it should be. Because neither wind/solar are predictable, dependable. Can't sign a contract to buy 4GWatts of wind energy next Tuesday. Not even a marketable business if it wasn't completely subsidized.

As far as the Govt being spectacularly wrong. Welcome to my world. They are messing in WAY too many things with brains that NEVER practiced in those areas. Fire those folks at EIA making the predictions. But to be FAIR -- 10 years out in 2006, nobody saw the BAILOUTS and price declines coming from solar factory closing and consolidation. And the high investments by the states in pouring buckets of subsidies into this "supplement" which is NOT an "alternative"..

It's NOT coal vs solar. They are not alternatives. Never were. Solar is a daytime PEAKING source. It allows you defer construction on NEW power generation until you use up your margin of demand reserve for mid day peaks. That's really ALL it is.....

`
`

I've invested some major dollars in making my home/property, totally self-sufficient. I can disconnect from the power grid indefinitely.

Disconnect from the grid and report back. If you can ........................ :dev3: Need daily reports on your welfare.

Never any nights when the wind doesn't blow? Or do have a mountain of toxic waste battery farm to get you thru the windless 16hours a day when your solar is not producing?

Interesting.

China IDLES most of it's renewables way too often. It's a SUPPLEMENT to them. Not a fundamental power source. And that's the way it should be. Because neither wind/solar are predictable, dependable. Can't sign a contract to buy 4GWatts of wind energy next Tuesday. Not even a marketable business if it wasn't completely subsidized.

As far as the Govt being spectacularly wrong. Welcome to my world. They are messing in WAY too many things with brains that NEVER practiced in those areas. Fire those folks at EIA making the predictions. But to be FAIR -- 10 years out in 2006, nobody saw the BAILOUTS and price declines coming from solar factory closing and consolidation. And the high investments by the states in pouring buckets of subsidies into this "supplement" which is NOT an "alternative"..

It's NOT coal vs solar. They are not alternatives. Never were. Solar is a daytime PEAKING source. It allows you defer construction on NEW power generation until you use up your margin of demand reserve for mid day peaks. That's really ALL it is.....
It's a SUPPLEMENT to them. Not a fundamental power source. And that's the way it should be. Because neither wind/solar are predictable, dependable.

What? How do you manage to arrive at a normative conclusion about what energy sources one or a country should use as its primary source of energy, be it now or in the future?

Since when is the Sun not reliable? Solar energy does not need to be used on an "as you go" basis. Energy collected from the Sun can be stored for later use. No doubt after the next large-enough asteroid hits and the planet becomes wrapped in a shroud of dust and smoke, the Sun won't be as effective an energy source. Be that as it may, if such an asteroid -- one that envelops the planet in a thick dust cloud -- well, what energy source any nation or individual uses isn't going to be a big concern, not nearly as much as will be merely surviving, and the fact of the matter is that humans survived for a long time without power plants of any sort. Until such a calamity, however, the Sun is a reliable enough energy source.

`
`

I've invested some major dollars in making my home/property, totally self-sufficient. I can disconnect from the power grid indefinitely.

Disconnect from the grid and report back. If you can ........................ :dev3: Need daily reports on your welfare.

Never any nights when the wind doesn't blow? Or do have a mountain of toxic waste battery farm to get you thru the windless 16hours a day when your solar is not producing?
A 90 kw/hr lithium ion battery can be had for as little as $7000. That sounds like quite an adequate backup.

Forum List

Back