Debate Now The US economy today vs. the US economy 10 years ago.

Financially, are you better or worse off today than you were 10 years ago?

• I'm a GenXer (40-54) and I'm doing about the same as 10 years ago

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a GenXer (40-54) and I'm doing worse than 10 years ago.

• I'm a millennial (25-39) and I'm doing about the same as 10 years ago

• I'm a millennial (25-39) and I'm doing worse than 10 years ago.

• Total voters

Muhammed

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2010
North Coast, USA
Introduction: The topic to be discussed in this thread is the US economy 10 years ago when Obama was president and the Democrats held a majority in both chambers of the 111th congress vs. the economy today with Trump as president and the Democrats in control of the House and Republicans in control of the Senate in the 116th congress.

Rule #1: If you introduce any other time period into the discussion you must indicate who was president and which party held a majority in each chamber of what congress at that time. (For example: X economic event occurred in 2017 while Trump was president and the Republicans held a majority in both chambers of the 115th congress.)

Rule #2: No complaining about rule #1.

Rule #3: No off-topic posts.

=======================================

Ten years ago today Obama was in the White House and in the 111th congress the Democrats held a very comfortable majority in both chambers and even had a rare filibuster-proof supermajority in the Senate which they held until Scott Brown (R-Ma) was installed on February 4, 2010 when he took the seat formerly held by the late Ted Kennedy (D-Ma).

With the federal government under total control by the Democrats, the unemployment rate was into double digit territory at 10%, up from 7.2% in January 2009 when Obama and the 111th congress were sworn in. And even more troubling to Main street was the long term unemployment rate. A whopping 38.3% of the unemployed were unemployed for half a year or longer. Of course young adult black males under 25 were hit the hardest, with over half of them unable to find a job.

Employment Situation News Release

And the future of the US economy was looking rather dismal and bleak for Main street, because Obama and the Democrats were threatening to make energy prices "skyrocket" (Obama's word) via cap and tax legislation at a time when a growing number of people were already struggling to pay their bills. It was total economic insanity.

The Democrats seemed to be waging economic war on the working class and trying to force them onto or keep them on public assistance. They even bragged that under their "leadership" more and more formerly proud hard working able-bodied adults were bestowed the Democrat gift of the humbling experience of shamefully paying for their groceries with EBT cards.

And the Democrats' war against the working class was a major cause of the massive TEA party protests and the Republican revolution of 2010 when the Republicans won control of the House of Reps, gained several seats in the Senate and whooped Democrat ass at the state level, winning several governorships and control of several state legislatures and offices.

I know a lot of millennials because my beautiful wife is a millennial and most of her many friends with whom we socialize frequently have naturally become my friends too over the last several years. I also have 5 wonderful kids who are millennials. And as we all know, that generation tends to vote overwhelmingly Democrat. However, I've been seeing some positive signs as they mature, gain life experience/wisdom and become more politically astute. More and more of them are recognizing that voting Democrat is not in their best interests.

When the subject of politics comes up, one question I've been asking them lately is "Financially, are you better off now than than you were 10 years ago when the Democrats had all the power?"

So how about you, are you better off now than you were 10 years ago?

Last edited:
Keep in mind Democrats controlled 8 of those 10 years before you vote
Rule #1: If you introduce any other time period into the discussion you must indicate who was president and which party held a majority in each chamber of what congress at that time. (For example: X economic event occurred in 2017 while Trump was president and the Republicans held a majority in both chambers of the 115th congress.)

You are violating Rule #1. If you abide by Rule #1 you will be shown to be lying.

Please delete or edit your post.

Introduction: The topic to be discussed in this thread is the US economy 10 years ago when Obama was president and the Democrats held a majority in both chambers of the 111th congress vs. the economy today with Trump as president and the Democrats in control of the House and Republicans in control of the Senate in the 116th congress.

Ten years ago today Obama was in the White House and in the 111th congress the Democrats held a very comfortable majority in both chambers and even had a rare filibuster-proof supermajority in the Senate which they held until Scott Brown (R-Ma) was installed on February 4, 2010 when he took the seat formerly held by the late Ted Kennedy (D-Ma).

With the federal government under total control by the Democrats, the unemployment rate was into double digit territory at 10%, up from 7.2% in January 2009 when Obama and the 111th congress were sworn in. And even more troubling to Main street was the long term unemployment rate. A whopping 38.3% of the unemployed were unemployed for half a year or longer. Of course young adult black males under 25 were hit the hardest, with over half of them unable to find a job.

And the future of the US economy was looking rather dismal and bleak for Main street, because Obama and the Democrats were threatening to make energy prices "skyrocket" (Obama's word) via cap and tax legislation at a time when a growing number of people were already struggling to pay their bills. It was total economic insanity.

The Democrats seemed to be waging economic war on the working class and trying to force them onto or keep them on public assistance. They even bragged that under their "leadership" more and more formerly proud hard working able-bodied adults were bestowed the Democrat gift of the humbling experience of shamefully paying for their groceries with EBT cards.

And the Democrats' war against the working class was a major cause of the massive TEA party protests and the Republican revolution of 2010 when the Republicans won control of the House of Reps, gained several seats in the Senate and whooped Democrat ass at the state level, winning several governorships and control of several state legislatures and offices.

I know a lot of millennials because my beautiful wife is a millennial and most of her many friends with whom we socialize frequently have naturally become my friends too over the last several years. I also have 5 wonderful kids who are millennials. And as we all know, that generation tends to vote overwhelmingly Democrat. However, I've been seeing some positive signs as they mature, gain life experience/wisdom and become more politically astute. More and more of them are recognizing that voting Democrat is not in their best interests.

When the subject of politics comes up, one question I've been asking them lately is "Financially, are you better off now than than you were 10 years ago when the Democrats had all the power?"

Not just me, everybody I know.

When Bush Jr became President my taxes went down considerably. Under Obama my taxes rose higher they they ever had been. Now under Trump they are lower than when Bush started. And I am making 2 1/2 times the money than in 2001.

When Bush Jr became President my taxes went down considerably. Under Obama my taxes rose higher they they ever had been. Now under Trump they are lower than when Bush started. And I am making 2 1/2 times the money than in 2001.
See Rule #1 in the OP.

See Rule #1 in the OP.
I don't know. I have dementia.

We took pay cuts at work after the crash.
Paid higher taxes back then.
And Gas was through the roof before the crash.......

Of course it's better now.

Annual income factored for (Real...5%) inflation...better. Definitely more assets though. So...overall...much better.

We don't need no stinking rules! :eusa_whistle:

I will answer that I am and am not better off than I was 10 years ago and it has nothing to do with politics. It's all relative.

I'm just now back to where I was, mostly due to the hikes in gold and real estate. I was already retired 10 years ago, so had no worries about jobs and that sort of thing for 10 years before that as well. I unloaded a lot of assets on my kids when they got married, and also helped out with school costs for my grandchildren, here and abroad, so I was 'worse off'. Had nothing to do with who was President, since they don't affect my particular assets either way; I simply have hedges and no debt and self-insure. It grows without me having to do anything or screw with it much except when planing major purchases, like vehicles or tractors or more land.

Last edited:

I will answer that I am and am not better off than I was 10 years ago and it has nothing to do with politics. It's all relative.
Could you elaborate?

Could you elaborate?
Okay, the housing bubble bust nearly wiped us out, massive loss of income, onset of disability, move across country, wife picks up jobs that don't work out for different reasons, move 6 times in 7 years, almost wiped out remaining savings, discover wife has a stage four rarest of rare cancers, get her on disability which is an automatic with her form of cancer so now we have a constant, steady (but low) income, no credit card debt, no car payments, enough income to purchase a very small house at a very low price where we currently live. We don't have the six figure income we had in Northern Virginia but we now have enough to be comfortable even if we have to make decisions like keeping the ratty towels another 6 months or pay medical co-pays.

We all should be better off just because of the big tech inventions but so many are not which proves the democrat system is worse

And the voters themselves vote in a way to show us conservatism is better than liberalism by the way voters become more and more conservative as they gain experience and time to think

Educators not explaining the direction people votes as they learn prove they are totally corrupt !

Forum List

Back